lifr

Henning said:
Unless he's Cat II, I doubt it, and that didn't look like a Cat II runway.
Looked like 200 to me. I flew one like that to PIA about three years ago. Had to call tower to tell them I was down the fog was so thick. I had just gone to advance the throttles when I saw the Hi intensity array.

bbchien said:
Looked like 200 to me. I flew one like that to PIA about three years ago. Had to call tower to tell them I was down the fog was so thick. I had just gone to advance the throttles when I saw the Hi intensity array.

I was thinking more on the Vis/RVR end of minimums.

The ILS 24 at KACK is an 1800 RVR approach. Very good approach (SSALR) and runway lighting (HIRLS and centerline lighting). Given where it is and the WX that is common there, you'd expect better than average and you get it at ACK. Not a CAT II but a really good CAT I.

That is an awesome video! Thanks for sharing

Looked like he had mins.

I flew into Lakefront (KNEW) one day that was a little thicker on the cloud layer, but very similar. When we went back out 3 hours later, tower couldn't see either us or the arriving aircraft.

A video can't show you exactly what a pilot is seeing but I didn't see the approach lights til past the wide bars on the ssalr (1000') and on the ground, the aiming point marks from the threshold (1000'). Never saw the flashers either. Pretty s-h pilot to make that one!

After watching that now I know what it looks like to go IFR in a small plane. I really would really like to go IFR in a small plane in real life one day. Yes I know it doesn't take much to please me.

Thanks for sharing Dave.

HPNFlyGirl said:
After watching that now I know what it looks like to go IFR in a small plane. I really would really like to go IFR in a small plane in real life one day. Yes I know it doesn't take much to please me.

It's not the same but have an instructor take you from the practice area to short final under the hood the whole way. If real life IFR is anything like taking the hood off at 200 AGL with the numbers right in front of you where you're expecting them to be, I'm hooked.

fgcason said:
I'm hooked.
its akin to a religious faith to me. Believing the runway is coming up out of the gloom and not a building, tower, large rock.

Let'sgoflying! said:
its akin to a religious faith to me. Believing the runway is coming up out of the gloom and not a building, tower, large rock.

There is that too. Particularly once you get down below the height of known nearby hard stationary objects in the area...

"...and thou shalt not deviate from The Script nor disobey disembodied voices coming frometh green things clamped to thou headst."

Let'sgoflying! said:

Try Cat III with no ceiling and only 300 RVR. Talk about an act of faith!

Last year I flew into ATL on Delta (yes I know I fly Delta too much) and there were a bunch of planes up in the sky, so I said to myself, "ok they all must be in a holding pattern." We start descending and descending, and descending & I was like geepers, we should be on the ground by now. I then look out the window and you could barely see the runway lights. It was a very foggy night that night.

So is that what they call "In the soup?"

Greg Bockelman said:
No kiddin. I used to be CAT II E-188 and when it would show 120 agl I'd be nervous as a cat....espeically those Alaskan Navy Airstrips with mountains on the other side....

Greg Bockelman said:

I've heard about this, isn't that where the annunciator panel blinks a light on and bitchin betty sounds "You Have Landed"?

Let'sgoflying! said:
I've heard about this, isn't that where the annunciator panel blinks a light on and bitchin betty sounds "You Have Landed"?

LOL. The 777 lets you land in peace. Other than the altitude callouts, that is. :rofl:

Let'sgoflying! said:

I think you're more likely to hear the autopilot say "I have landed" in that case:D. And before that, from 200 HAT to touchdown there's probably a drill sargent voice commanding "keep your damn hands off the controls!".

HPNFlyGirl said:
I love talking cockpits.

The technology is certainly cool. My guess is a lot of guys flying such equipment feel harangued by it and would prefer a mute switch! Or at least a small light coming on in advance of the aural warning, so they have a chance to correct the situation before the nagging begins. For some things anyway. Engine fire - you need to know now. Overspeed; a 10kt warning would be nice.
On one plane Ive been flying, whenever I start up, I notice the Terrain Inhibit switch is set. People get so aggravated by nuisance warnings they shut them off, when able.

Oh man, I saw that one too Troy. Not flying I'd want to do, I'm happy to read about it and watch internet videos!

Let'sgoflying! said:

Dave, when ADS is landing north (33), just knowing that the approach takes me right over (and not all that high above, or so it seems!) a bunch of tall office towers, even when I know to a moral certainty that I am right on (dual glideslopes agreeing, etc.), I still can "feel" those buildings scraping my butt. Better, I guess, to not be able to visualize that they are there?

fgcason said:
It's not the same but have an instructor take you from the practice area to short final under the hood the whole way. If real life IFR is anything like taking the hood off at 200 AGL with the numbers right in front of you where you're expecting them to be, I'm hooked.

Frank,

It's better. Imagine this: You don't have some big floppy contraption on your head so you're more comfortable to begin with, except for the fact that you're blind to everything that isn't your airplane. Then, when you complete an approach down near minimums, not only is the runway right there, but rather than just looking up and seeing it, you'll see it slowly materialize out of the murk. One moment it's just plan gray outside, then suddenly there's a VASI or some strobes "up in the clouds" with you, then approach lights, then the runway end and some side lights, then a threshold, and chirp chirp chirp you're down. WAY cool.

Now go get that IR. :yes:

Back