Life's temptations; too overpowering!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Take the Harbor Freight catalogs. They send me one a week. Way too appealing! (yes I know 90% of the stuff is cheap chinese crap)
But..I..want..a..planishing hammer! That would be so cool! No one at the airport has one! Everyone would be over to see it. We could have a planishing party. 99c for epoxy! A digital caliper 15$! A motorcycle lift! I could really use that. A concrete vibrator! A 1300lb hoist! Very useful! $49 for a 106 piece tool set! Thats about 50c per tool! Think of how many times you have wanted a bright red, 2600W gasoline generator!! Fifty bucks for a radio controlled helicopter! Maybe I have a little of that female 'shopping gene' in me?! (oops)
Last week when things were circling the drain at work, a few minutes daydreaming of what a few hundred bucks could buy had me all smiles suddenly!

Ya gotta resist, Dave.

None of that stuff will work when you get it home and some of it can cost you a limb.

Last edited:
...just picture a 7-year-old kid in China, sweating away in the factory, running the lathe on which they machine the stuff...

...but still, that stuff sometimes looks good enough to hobby with...

Ya gotta resist, Dave.

None of that stuff will work when you get it home and some of it can cost ou a limb.

ACTUALLY.. When we built the RV, we would make once-a-month runs to Harbor Freight in Davenport (Yes! They have a walk-in store!!) for random stuff. $30 air hose for $10.. 14" socket extension for $2.. random stuff like that. Their "Pittsburgh" socket sets were used in replacement of my full Craftsman set when it was stolen out of my truck toolbox. So far, so good! I've had to replace a 1/2" ratchet but that's it - and I've used it to work on rusty old farm equipment with no problems. (Complete with homemade cheater bars :yes:)

Another place you might wanna check out is Northern Tool. I'm using a full set of their sockets/wrenches at work now. So far so good! I'm sure there are people that swear by their Craftsman/name brand tools, but personally I haven't had any problems with Northern or Harbor Freight tools (yet).

And who can beat a $150 wire feed welder!?! or a HVLP sprayer gun for $30!! I mean seriously!! COME ON!!! :D :D :D

I just bought a $5.99 6 piece set of small Chinese-made SAE box wrenches at Auto Zone. I need to remove the battery hold-down clamp to replace the battery in the sedan (with a Costco Kirkland battery.)

There is a Harbor freight near here. I have gotten similar stuff same from them.

For that stuff you figure it's disposable and if it lasts for more than one job you're way ahead, although the set supposedly has a lifetime warranty. There's no indication how you got about getting the store or the maker to honor the warranty. I'm afraid they may find it easier to end your life than honor the warranty. :D

A agree the Harbor Freight flyer is fun. I went through one I had a while ago and wanted to note that they had certain things and make a list for the next trip.

Back