Lifeline Flight Request

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I'm not sure how many members belong to LifeLine or Angel Flight but usually we only get barest details. Here's a special request that was sent this morning that gives a little background however I'm not in a position to do it. I would encourage any qualified pilot to sign up. I'm sure Ed and Doc Bruce will support me in saying the "payback" is immeasureable!

Dear Jeff,

Thank you so much for talking with me today about our wish child, Sue Ann. Make-A-Wish Foundation is a national non-profit organization that serves children with life-threatening medical conditions. We are trying to find a way to get Sue Ann and her family to Orlando to go to Walt Disney World, meet Mickey Mouse and hear all of the sounds of Disney! Sue Ann and her brother have many health issues and therefore cannot fly on a commercial carrier and driving to Florida would be too difficult for the children to endure.

Sue Ann was referred to us by her adoptive mother because of her many medical conditions. Sue Ann is a beautiful little girl with cerebral palsy, hydrocephalus, and respitory failure. She is a real people-person who enjoys listening to music and Barney. Sue Ann is also blind but interacting with the characters at the theme parks and listening to the music would be a very happy light in Sue Ann's life.

Sue Ann is 8 years old, weighs approximately 70 pounds and does have a trach. She is not on oxygen full time but may require it during a flight. The oxygen is administered through her trach. Ideally Sue Ann traveling in her wheelchair would work best because she is strapped into it (she cannot sit up on her own). The seat with straps does detach from wheelchair so it might be possible to put the seat with straps right into an airplane seat. I can check on dimensions if that is needed. Or, she can sit in a plane seat if the parents are allowed to strap her into the seat in some way.

Naiche, Sue Ann's brother is 4 and has shaken baby syndrome and cerebral palsy. He weighs approximately 40 pounts. His situation is the same as Sue Ann's although he does not require oxygen so again, he would need to be strapped in to a seat in some way.

One of the parents would need to travel with Sue Ann and Naiche so we would need assistance for 3 travelers please. The other parent, caregiver, and other sibling can fly on a commercial flight and meet in Orlando. The family is flexible on flight/travel dates.

Thank you for your consideration! This is a unique situation and we truly want to bring some light and fun to this young lady who has endured so much. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you should need any more information.

Warm regards,

Darla Chezem
Wish Program Manager
Make-A-Wish Foundation of Kentucky & Southern Indiana
9502 Williamsburg Plaza, Suite 100
Louisville, KY 40222
Phone: (502)327-0705
Fax: (502)327-0706
Toll Free: 866-487-9474

"payback" is immeasureable!

Amen to that my friend. I just learned from Angel Flight East today that the average cost to the pilot per mission flown from AFE is about $800. These kids are soooooo worth it.

Back