Life Vests

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
I was wondering how many people on here wear vests while flying. I do a lot of flying to Block Island, Ptown, LI,etc and always try and stay within gliding distance of land. Cabelas has manually inflatable vests on sale and thought it might be a good time to get them.

There are some stats on the fatalities on seaplanes, most folks that die never made it out of the plane.

I'd say going in the aircraft dunk tank training would prove much more of a life saver compared to just getting a life jacket.

If you do get life jackets be sure they won't inflate till your out of the aircraft.

Go with your gut....and wear the vest every time you make such a flight. Don't even think about donning one after the plane has come to rest (or whatever). Ever see news coverage of a Coast Guard rescue team? Every person wears a vest and had it on from the get-go.

Bob Gardner

These are constant wear type and manually inflatable only, no auto inflate. Also have a backup blow tube. Thinking it is cheap insurance.

We used to have all pax and crew wear life vests while overflying oceans (beyond gliding distance) or the Great Lakes. But over time this led to deterioration of the vests and worry of malfunction when truly needed. So our latest policy is to use vests that come sealed for longevity, and depending on the overwater leg length and altitude we choose between having them readily accessible but inside a common bag, vs. handed out to each person (inside its unopened protective pouch).
Fortunately, haven't had to test any of these policies so far, despite countless water crossings.

Whenever out of gliding distance I wear the inflatable vest. Suspenders.

I've only felt the need on the way to ACK, and even then, only going north to Chatham (overfly MVY and it's fine), though if you stay near Monomoy I can make it with 0 wet footprint (long skinny wings). I think that you'd be fine going to BID or MVY, but you may need to climb a bit.

Back