Life rafts

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I'm looking at some over water flights out of Florida later in the year. Can anyone suggest a good place to rent a life raft for a short time? I could collect and drop off pretty much anywhere in Florida, but West is better.

Equally, anyone in the area who has one and would consider lending it out for a few days for some consideration, please let me know!

I found a couple of places online so far but they seem shady, or never respond.

I rented one from an FBO in West Palm Beach; the rental was very reasonable, but it was a long time ago, though. I'd suggest a few phone calls to FBOs near you. Good luck.

Also, I admire your careful planning with an eye on safety. Consider, too, an inflatable vest (at least for yourself) and put it on before over-water legs...you'll be quite busy if you get near a ditching situation to don a vest. Many have pockets for an EPIRB, dye markers, raft knife (in case of premature inflation trapping occupants in plane, or cutting seatbelts, etc) and loose change (in case you wash-up on an island that has pay phones), and any medication you want to keep at hand. Please be sure to tell us how the ditching goes if you ever have to do it, I never have (but I like to think I was prepared for it).

Seriously, I admire your intent to minimize risk by addressing potential perils; it is the mark of an accomplished aviator. Godspeed

Last edited:
Its on the east coast but Ft Pierce FBO rents rafts for something like $20 a day.

Thanks for the replies, both. I'll certainly be taking vests for any on board as well as my PLB.

Back