Life insurance and the Pilot

MyassisDragon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mr Fred
Looking for some general advice on what life insurance policies fellow pilots are using. I currently have Ohio National and noticed that I participate in 70% of the disqualifying activities (this includes GA flying ) .

So I started the process with AOPA, and did not hear for weeks only to discover that some obscure phone call I got about a home doctor visit was for a physical from ING. So now the process has to be started again for both me and my wife.

But this got me thinking, what are other pilots using for Life insurance to make sure their family is covered if something happens?

I would like to drop my current coverage and move to a better policy ($1-3 million coverage) where I am covered while flying.

I have a policy with Jackson Life. It does not exclude private aviation, BUT I couldn't participate in it for the first 2 years of the policy. Which was no big deal because I hadn't started then. Once I had that 2 years in, I can fly as much as I want.

John

State Farm will cover you, but you will get charged more. And coverage starts right away.

PIClife competitive price and flying is fine. Iirc you need ten hours in the year you apply, but you are covered if you fly less in the future for some reason.

AIG has a policy ,however they charge more for flying.

I got a policy through Lincoln Benefit via PIC Insurance down in Addison TX (they have the Addison tower as their music on hold). Rates were about the same as a SelectQuote run at the same time (didn't bother to check the returned quotes for pilot exclusions).

I had a policy with Mutual of Omaha and they didn't have a problem with it (but it was written almost 40 years ago, so no telling what today's new policies would do)

No life insurance. I carried enough term to pay off the house when we had a little one running around. Now, with no significant debt and adequate assets, we don't carry anything.

Mutual of Omaha, I paid more while I instructed but my rate is now "normal" as I only fly for work anymore.

be carful AOPA onlys pays half if you die in a GA plane.

I have cheap group coverage through work (and my employer is huge). I probably need to do some investigation to check if aviation is somehow an excluding factor.

I bought a policy through PIC Life. Reasonable rates. Easy application process.

I have group term through my firm. No aviation exclusion.

No life insurance. I carried enough term to pay off the house when we had a little one running around. Now, with no significant debt and adequate assets, we don't carry anything.
S

Same here. Husband and I agree we'd both be fine if one of us came to an untimely death.

Check Northwestern Mutual. Not sure if they still do, but they used to write term policies with a rider allowing GA activities, and at the time they were a little cheaper than what PICLife was able to get.

I don't have life insurance anymore. As the only coverage I can afford is if I die in bed at 26. Well I'm well beyong age 26, and chances of me dieing in bed would be at the hands of a jealous husband,(or my wife). I wouldn't be covered anyway.

I have a term-life policy from Farmers with no aviation exclusion. They asked me a bunch of aviation questions during the interview (ratings, hours, solo hours, etc.) and sent a nurse to my house to draw blood and take other measurements. I would've been approved for the best category if not for the aviation activities. So I was downgraded one category and have to pay an extra $12 per year.

Just mention "experimental" during the interview and watch them laugh their a$$es off...:wink2:;)

I hadn't started training when I got my policy from ING. When I did start training I checked and they still cover me. Think it would have been a different story if I had already been flying at the time I got the policy.

Yes, even with my PIC life they asked if I was a skydiver or drove race cars. At the time I told them no, but I might try sometimes. They said that was fine. It only mattered what the answer was at the time I applied. I was a NASCAR official but I never competed.

Looking for some general advice on what life insurance policies fellow pilots are using. I currently have Ohio National and noticed that I participate in 70% of the disqualifying activities (this includes GA flying )

Can you clarify? Are you saying that you've had life insurance for awhile, but it will not pay out if you die flying GA?

I went through PIC for a policy with John Hancock, 1M with no aviation exclusion for a rate very comparable to others. Now that I have > 100 Hrs PIC I can get rerated and into the normal pool instead of the high risk aviation pool

As noted, most group and individual life insurance policies exclude aviation. PPC is lucky, and I’d sure like to know which carrier is offering that. Your fellow employees are likely exclusively pilots, otherwise it might be overpriced for the non-pilots. :mad2:
Yup, once you hit ATP, you’re golden. Preferred rates for you. But others can qualify for super preferred, too. Not just ATP.
Thank you, Tree, for those kind words. We work hard with pilots across the country to find them the best deals. Swapping stories if time permits--my first Huey ride was over the Mekong Delta in my father's Air America bird.
Aerobatics is always a challenge, but we can likely still find you coverage. Like to scuba dive, drive fast, jump out of perfectly good aircraft, we do too.
We know what we are doing is taking care of your family should something unforeseen happen. What’s more important than that.

You’ve probably seen our ads. We are everywhere. I’ve been in the insurance field for 25 years. At PIC, we only help pilots. We fly. We have nurtured the all-important relationships with insurance companies that enable them to trust us when we tell them we have a good pilot that is a good risk and worth an extra discount.

As noted, most group and individual life insurance policies exclude aviation. PPC is lucky, and I’d sure like to know which carrier is offering that. Your fellow employees are likely exclusively pilots, otherwise it might be overpriced for the non-pilots. :mad2:
Yup, once you hit ATP, you’re golden. Preferred rates for you. But others can qualify for super preferred, too. Not just ATP.
Thank you, Tree, for those kind words. We work hard with pilots across the country to find them the best deals. Swapping stories if time permits--my first Huey ride was over the Mekong Delta in my father's Air America bird.
Aerobatics is always a challenge, but we can likely still find you coverage. Like to scuba dive, drive fast, jump out of perfectly good aircraft, we do too.
We know what we are doing is taking care of your family should something unforeseen happen. What’s more important than that.

You’ve probably seen our ads. We are everywhere. I’ve been in the insurance field for 25 years. At PIC, we only help pilots. We fly. We have nurtured the all-important relationships with insurance companies that enable them to trust us when we tell them we have a good pilot that is a good risk and worth an extra discount.

First post......

Welcome to POA..:cheers:...

Can you explain why I got a "cold" shoulder when I told them I flew an experimantal..:dunno:

Experimental = risk
Risk = work
If an agent does not have a good relationship with an aviation savvy underwriter, then that agent cannot really help anyone outside the mainstream.
We know aviation. We know insurance. Bill Fanning, our president is Bob Hoover's personal pilot.
If the underwriter trusts the agent and the agent is honest with the underwriter, then good things happen in the way of discounts, etc. A minor high blood pressure issue can be checked off. The underwriter can choose to use a more favorable rate table. It depends on the relationship.
That being said, not all experimental is insurable of course. But if you're into aerobatics, racing, etc., and the coverage is available, we can find it. usually at the best if not the only rates.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire. -- Anonymous

Check Northwestern Mutual. Not sure if they still do, but they used to write term policies with a rider allowing GA activities, and at the time they were a little cheaper than what PICLife was able to get.

Anybody have any current experience with Northwestern Mutual? I have a policy through them and I looked for an exclusion in my policy, but couldn't find anything. Does that mean I'm good?

Anybody have any current experience with Northwestern Mutual? I have a policy through them and I looked for an exclusion in my policy, but couldn't find anything. Does that mean I'm good?

Just ask them. Policies are different from year to year.

I have one from long long ago from them that has no restriction, but that means nothing compared to yours.

Back