Leukemia - cll

cjd3060

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CD
Soon to be student pilot, trying to figure out if I want to go sport route or regular private pilot. As you might guess from the subject line, I've been diagnosed with early onset of CLL. I'm numerous years out from needing treatment (or so the doctor says). My only symptom is an elevated WBC. Blood pressure, heart rate, etc... all normal. Am I going to have a problem getting a 3rd class medical certificate? Will I need a special issuance? And, I guess most importantly, am I at risk of a denial (as I understand that would screw my shot at just using a DL as a sport pilot)?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

CLL can be a special issuance. You're going to be deferred the first time through the procress. Expect it to take many weeks in the best of circumstances. You need a good AME and you'll probably want to confirm with him BEFORE YOU START AN OFFICIAL EXAMINATION whether he think it will result in an issuance.

If you want to fly NOW, sport pilot is the way to go. You can assess what your subsequent chances at an special issuance. Once you have that, you can switch to basic med which will be easier in the long run.

Remember that Sport Pilot training counts toward Private. There’s very little reason not to do Sport first other than a second checkride, assuming you have an LSA and Sport training available to you. You can get your Sport and fly while you figure out the rest. That’s what I did.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back