Letting an EFB be all it can be..

BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
For an EFB to "be all it can be" with regard to weather, ADS-B traffic, etc..

What all is needed?

iPad
Subscription to service
Antenna

And?

I'm debating ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot. Can't decide which one I want to use, but I'd like to be able to use it to the fullest.

What do I need?

I can only chime in on the GP vs FF. I'm a garmin pilot user that has been or is in the process of being converted to foreflight. I honestly like some of GPs interfaces better but ForeFlight offers more for the same price and is of the same ease of use. If it could also throw in the functionality of cloudahoy I'd be a life member

What all is needed?

iPad
Subscription to service
Antenna

And?

I'm debating ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot. Can't decide which one I want to use, but I'd like to be able to use it to the fullest.

What do I need?

Ipad, foreflight, and stratus 2. You don't need ipad service for the flying part. Ive only used FF and I love it and with the stratus you get traffic, weather, gps. I like it and use it every flight. FF only works with the stratus so im tied to both now but Im 100% cool with that.

I can only chime in on the GP vs FF. I'm a garmin pilot user that has been or is in the process of being converted to foreflight. I honestly like some of GPs interfaces better but ForeFlight offers more for the same price and is of the same ease of use. If it could also throw in the functionality of cloudahoy I'd be a life member

stratus 2 logs the flight and gives info..Not sure its as much as cloudahoy but a cool feature.

I'm really torn. I like both. I think I lean towards Garmin Pilot. It just seems more intuitive to me.

What is cloudahoy? Google here I come.

ADS-B Out

We are going to handle that early 2016. I don't even know where to begin. I'd love to be able to get ADSB-In on both the iPad and the Avidyne, but need to look into all that.

What all is needed?

iPad
Subscription to service
Antenna

And?

What do I need?

I have iPad and iPhone 6+ and run Garmin Pilot on both using a GDL-39-3D to provide ADS-B, GPS, and AHRS.

I chose GP because the interface is the same as the Garmin GTN radios, and can also be used to interface with, and program, the GNS series radios (or GTN) with the $1000 Airlink addition. Also the SVT for GP displays on the 6+ and fits nicely on the brow HUD fashion without blocking view of anything. I use the iPad for working all the other functions and as a primary display. It's a basic "rental rig".

So, cloudahoy is a debriefer for flights and in my opinion is what's missing in all EFBs. The whole "Start", "stop", "here's a record of your travels" portion. With either GP or FF, you throw in your plan and it just sits there, more or less, until you're in motion. I'd prefer if there was a plan, perhaps multiple plans or legs that you could save, and when you're ready, you "start" and when you're done you "stop". Then you could view things that cloudahoy provides.

For example, this is a flight I made where I flew home with a generator going bad. Was visiting a friend in NJ and flew around philly class B since I was worried about coms and needed to keep the transponder running. I was avoiding as much radio useage as possible.

http://cloudahoy.com/api/S.cgi?pszs22pAJooyVeFu2Q

Cloudahoy also allows you to change the view and sit in the cockpit and get the google early view of the flight. That's more than I would expect from FF or GP, but it's cool. I just wish they had a start/stop and a history/log. Not just sit around with the flight plan until I'm ready to plug in a new one.

EDIT: BTW, i just noticed that it's accurate enough to accurately depict my tie-down spot, etc. pretty cool

Last edited:
Back