letters from responsible parties (FAA demand letter)

Michael Blazer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B
I've done a search through the forum but haven't found much about my question. I received a demand letter from the FAA and one of the demands is at least 3 letters from responsible persons confirming continued sobriety. Other than specific mention of abstinence date, there's not much info about what it should include. I have the people willing to write the letters but they are wanting to know what it needs to include. What should be in this letter besides who they are, how they know me, and how long I've been abstinent?

Do a search on the board for the keyword “letterhead” and look for posts from @bbchien aka Dr. Bruce Chien.

Do a search on the board for the keyword “letterhead” and look for posts from @bbchien aka Dr. Bruce Chien.

Thanks, Mike. I guess there's just some confusion surrounding it and what exactly these letters need to say.

I have been told different things but your comment leads to another question that @bbchien can clear up. The FAA told me it could be any responsible person in my community. It could even be a neighbor. There wasn't anything in the letter about it needing to be on a letterhead. While I have people who will write a letter of reference, they aren't authorized to use their company letterhead. Add in the fact that we were all supposed to self-isolate over this last year due to the pandemic so I've been responsible and stayed at home besides work and grocery. It's not something I want to involve my employer in.

Thanks, Mike. I guess there's just some confusion surrounding it and what exactly these letters need to say.

I have been told different things but your comment leads to another question that @bbchien can clear up. The FAA told me it could be any responsible person in my community. It could even be a neighbor. There wasn't anything in the letter about it needing to be on a letterhead. While I have people who will write a letter of reference, they aren't authorized to use their company letterhead. Add in the fact that we were all supposed to self-isolate over this last year due to the pandemic so I've been responsible and stayed at home besides work and grocery. It's not something I want to involve my employer in.
“Letterhead” was a convenient way to find examples.

My guess and opinion is if you obtained letters from your employer, clergy, personal physician, and such, that would be a solid start. Essentially people who know you intimately and would recognize when you were using alcohol. And can speak to your character.

As to what should be included in the letter, I will leave answering that to Drs. Bruce and Lou.

How long they’ve known you
In what capacity
That you don’t have certain behaviors...like you don’t cancel unexpectedly, don’t have to be supervised etc...trusted member of the team, etc...

(you might have to explain to them that you aren’t tryin to switch jobs)... and how long they knew you didn’t drink....

Dr. Bruce, as always, is correct. Conclusory statements, such as "I know OP and he is not an alcoholic," will carry little if any weight. To have any impact the statement must state specific reasons why the author holds this belief.

How long they’ve known you
In what capacity
That you don’t have certain behaviors...like you don’t cancel unexpectedly, don’t have to be supervised etc...trusted member of the team, etc...

(you might have to explain to them that you aren’t tryin to switch jobs)... and how long they knew you didn’t drink....

Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Dr. Bruce!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back