Letter of Amnesty

U

Unregistered

I have a question in regards to answering yes to question 18v on the FAA medical form, the one that ask "history of any convictions....."

My situation...about seven years ago I had an alcohol related incident when I was arrested while stationed overseas in the military. I attended a US military outpatient alcohol course with about two hours of one on one counseling. No charges, just an letter of reprimand from my commander. It was basically a public intox, no DUI or DWI. Admittedly a stupid thing on my part but since then I've had no other issues.

I answered yes on question 18v a few years ago, shortly afterwards the FAA sent me a letter asking me to explain what happened, for which I did. A few weeks later I called to inquire about it and the lady told me everything was okay, that the doctor had seen it and not to worry about it.

My last ClassII physical I saw a different doctor on vacation in the local area, mind you he was an everyday AME that seemed to mainly only do flight physicals. He saw I answered yes to question 18v with a "previously reported no change". Since he said this was my first time seeing him for a flight physical, he asked to see the letter the FAA sent me declaring I was cleared on this issue. Dumbfounded, I told him I had no idea about a letter, that I never received one. He said he couldn't sign me off without this "letter of amnesty". Long story short, I was able to quickly call my regional flight docs office and speak with the deputy flight surgeon who was able to give verbal consent to the AME to go ahead and clear me, that the issue had been resolved.

Anybody ever heard of this "letter of amnesty" for answering yes to 18v? Funny thing was I saw a different flight doc the year before, one that does a lot of flight physicals, and he never asked about a letter. I've yet to call the FAA about receiving a letter but was curious if anybody else has every heard of this before calling them, thanks.

It is not a letter of amnesty, it is a "letter of eligibility" and every time I do a condition like yours I tell the airman "if you don't get a letter from the agency in 30 days, call me".

A Letter of eligibility ways the condition has been reviewed and you are found to not require a special issuance. I have ALL of these cleared BEFORE I see an airman, but if you don't get one then you are forever tied to the AME who did the work to clear you.

I'll post a redacted one so you can see it....just as soon as the white out dries.

Here it is...this letter of eligiblity takes this airman off of 61.53 for the cleared condition, as well. This fellow had some....er....legal difficulties...
Cap'nRon said:
No, they have not. The FAA office that handles this matter says Bruce's interpretation is incorrect...
...and is why I think RBL's post about mail fraud not being a problem....is not quite right. It wouldn't be the first time somebody at the agency opined on something about which he was not well informed.

Attachments

• Eligibility letter.pdf
    24.7 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back