Let's talk TFRs

snoboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
snoboy
Will be flying into Petaluma in a week and a half. I've been watching the weather closely and noticed that it can remain socked in until late in the day so I want to be prepared to fly in IFR. On my Garmin Pilot app. there is a Security (stadium) TFR over Sears Point Raceway, I assume it's for the NASCAR race. The From column is blank but the To column says Until further notice. Skyvector shows no TFR over Sears Point (TFRs are turned on). The 2 instrument approaches into Petalum run right through the TFR. How will I know when that particular TFR is active.
Just an FYI... I called a flight training facility at Petaluma and the flight instructor couldn't tell me anything about the legalities of the TFR. I thought that was odd. I call FSS for Northern California and couldn't get a straight answer. I called the number for TSA listed in the TFR narrative and pressed number 3 which is Domestic TFRs for Disney and Sporting events. Anyone wanna guess what the response I received was? "Sorry Sporting Events and Disney information is unavailable" Great. So much for trying to accomplish 91.103.

I'ts up to you to check sports schedules on your own to determine if a TFR is in effect. You also need to know if a game / race runs into overtime or is delayed.

FSS will not tell you .

But, if you read the text of the TFR, I believe you will find that you are probably OK if you are IFR.

1. If you go in IFR it will be irrelevant - you will likely get vectored in anyway.

2. Sears Point is pretty easy to avoid VFR.

I'ts up to you to check sports schedules on your own to determine if a TFR is in effect. You also need to know if a game / race runs into overtime or is delayed.

FSS will not tell you .

But, if you read the text of the TFR, I believe you will find that you are probably OK if you are IFR.

OK so the race is essentially a 3 day event (that I'm attending BTW) starting on Friday. Me flying in on Wednesday should be no problem correct?

1. If you go in IFR it will be irrelevant - you will likely get vectored in anyway.

2. Sears Point is pretty easy to avoid VFR.

I'm sure I will get vectored but the FAF is inside the TFR. It's tough to fly into Petaluma VFR with a 800 foot ceiling.

Last edited:
I guess if ATC can't or won't clear you through the TFR then you could go in to KAPC as an alternate and sit it out until its over.

But the marine layer over Petaluma usually burns off by noon so if you get there mid afternoon you will probably be okay VFR.

OK thanks guys, I just reread it CAREFULLY. It is very clear (now) if I am in contact with ATC the restriction does not apply. About 3/4 through the notice it says...THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Here's all you need to know about Stadium TFRs;

If you're IFR don't worry.

If you're VFR don't fly over them.

If you're VFR and really want to fly over one then look at the parking lot. If'n you count more than 10 cars go fly somewhere else.

OK thanks guys, I just reread it CAREFULLY. It is very clear (now) if I am in contact with ATC the restriction does not apply. About 3/4 through the notice it says...THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES

Thanks everyone.

Also only applies on Sunday.

If you're VFR and really want to fly over one then look at the parking lot. If'n you count more than 10 cars go fly somewhere else.

Roger that.

The local approach control may not be able to tell you if the stadium NASCAR TFR is hot or cold real time. The Stadium NASCAR TFRs are a joke. Until some security Fed that can't judge altitude thinks you were 500ft over the track when you really were above the 3000 AGL limit, and he snagged you with his high power camera.

Sounds like a good rule of thumb. Most stadium TFR's aren't published anyway so you have no clue on the extents.

If you can count ten cars they can probably see you. If you can count a hundred you're probably about to impact terrain anyway.

If IFR, you'll be talking to Oakland Center on 127.8 when you come in. As others have said, fog usually burns off about mid-morning. The LPV minimums on the GPS 29 approach will easily get you below it. Plenty of tie downs. Buy some gas! :) Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Sam

I believe this would cover it.

OK I'll buy that. Even though there are three days of practice, qualifying and races for Formula 3, Legends and NASCAR West it specifically states NASCAR SPRINT Cup events.

If IFR, you'll be talking to Oakland Center on 127.8 when you come in. As others have said, fog usually burns off about mid-morning. The LPV minimums on the GPS 29 approach will easily get you below it. Plenty of tie downs. Buy some gas! :) Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Sam

Thank you Sam. We'll be buying gas for sure... a few times. I'll be arriving Wed 19th and staying until Tues 25th. I've been looking forward to this trip for months. Been studying the RNAV 29 for a few months now in anticipation.

Back