let's see some hangar photos

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
I'm in the process of purchasing a hangar. I'd like to clean it up and make a small space for chair, maps, refrigerator, general pre and post flight chat.

Let's see your hangars!

I'm in the process of purchasing a hangar. I'd like to clean it up and make a small space for chair, maps, refrigerator, general pre and post flight chat.
Let's see your hangars!

Don't have a photo, but some suggestions are:

a large table for laying out a map or just having a flat surface available is always welcome.

two or more collapsible lounge chairs for watching arrivals and departures from the hangar and we have the kind that fit in sacks with shoulder straps so they can be thrown in the plane and easily carried to the on shore trips for beach relaxation.

where ever my wife and I fly we always buy a souvenir magnet representative of our visit and have a large collection on the hangar wall. It always makes for great conversation starters with new passengers or when other pilots stop by to chat.

a large cabinet with lockable doors for storage of items for plane care, such as, a hose, nozzle, a bucket, carwash soap, rags, sponges, extendable car wash wand, towels, wax, metal polish, a portable wet-vac, extension cord, portable air-compressor, a case of oil, variety of tools, etc. The doors are important for keeping the inevitable dirt and debris from getting into all of the above due to prop blast when positioning the plane to be pushed or pulled back into the hangar. Having locks on the doors are nice if you want to place expensive items in there and have peace of mind. Airports, however, are pretty safe places, but I'm sure there is the occasional theft.

I keep a gallon jug of water for washing, cleaning or just wetting a sponge.

I large lined trash can and extra trash bags.

Recently, I installed large bright florescent lights all around the inside of the hangar for when working on the plane at night. I also installed motion activated flood lights outside the hangar that click on when the plane moves in front of the hangar door which is very convenient after returning from a night flight.

I installed stop blocks for the main wheels to keep me from slamming my flaps into the walls of the hangar (I have a T-Hangar).

I keep four 5-gallon gas containers in the hangar and a siphon. Two are empty in case I have too much fuel and need to off load some for weight considerations. I have two that are kept full in case I have too little fuel and the FBO is closed. This way I can get to an AP with 24 self-serve pumps or full service.

I have used in the past a remote-controlled winch to pull the plane into the hangar since mine goes up-hill when putting the plane away, but I have since purchased the Robo-Tow which I love.
I have a 'fridge filled with soft drinks and water.

Wish list:

I want to install a concrete and sealed floor. Right now it's asphalt in the center and dirt all around.
Insulate the ceiling and walls to keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Remote controlled pre-heater and cockpit heater

These are some things I have found helpful to have available. Have fun with your new "club-house"!

Gene

here's mine, the day we moved in.

Attachments

• DSCN1967.jpg
    DSCN1967.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN1952.jpg
    DSCN1952.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN1950.jpg
    DSCN1950.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 88
My hangar at CJR is a T hangar with sliding doors concrete floor and power. I have a refrigerator, an old love seat, my old dining room table, a tool box, an air compressor, and a GSMAUTO cell phone unit that lets me kick the TANNIS on remotely.

The hangar at NC26 has a bifold electric door, heated floor, large air compressor, slop sink, portable aircconditioner (MOVING COOL), and a small work table. Adjacent to it are two storage rooms, my woodworking shop, a hot tub, the laundry room, bathroom, kitchen/family room, front hall, wine cellar, my office, and a bedroom suite...
House-Snow.JPG

You win, a hangar with heated floors and a hot tub. And a place to sleep. And work. You suck.

I have to share my hangar with a 1929 model A fire truck. I have a big rolling cabinet that I sit my toolbox on and then the rest of it is where I park N9054N.

Attachments

• P1000306 (800x600).jpg
    P1000306 (800x600).jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 366
Found some open door pictures...
picture.php

picture.php

great shots, and some very interesting hangars (wine cellar, hot tub...!)

I like the finished walls (drywall) look, but my tin walls allow the heat from my neighbors to transfer ;)

I am considering investing some $$ into the hangar with RaceDeck flooring, small map area, cabinets, etc.

I personally own neither hangar or aircraft.

Despite the fact I spend 10 hers a day working in office over a rather large hangar, I am envious and now a bit more motivated too.

More power to you folks though!

I rent my hangar from the city and yet, they actually charge me an annual property tax on it. I was very surprised, when I first received that bill. I have pictures of my plane, but none of my hangar. Pretty standard T hangar, though, with beer fridge, workbench and a few shelves. I do have some stack chairs for sitting out on the ramp on warm evenings and having a beer with my friends (after flying, of course).

great shots, and some very interesting hangars (wine cellar, hot tub...!)

I like the finished walls (drywall) look, but my tin walls allow the heat from my neighbors to transfer ;)

I am considering investing some $$ into the hangar with RaceDeck flooring, small map area, cabinets, etc.

My hangar at Culpeper is a tin can. Metal roof, metal door, metal (not full height) walls between me and my neighbors. I found out the hard way that my GSMAUTO wouldn't work inside that tin can. I had to run an external cell phone antenna (fortunately I had left over from another project).

As for the NC hangar, one thing (other than the heat) that really makes it livable is that the walls and roof are spray foamed (and there is rigid insulation on the inside of the door).

Here is my hangar......I wish there was more time in the day to finish the RV.

I have to give credit to my partner for doing all the hard work.

Attachments

• Hangar RV7 TR182.jpg
    Hangar RV7 TR182.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 59
  • Hangar RV7 TR182 B.jpg
    Hangar RV7 TR182 B.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 59
Here is my hangar......I wish there was more time in the day to finish the RV.

I have to give credit to my partner for doing all the hard work.

Is that lift really more cost effective than just getting a second hangar? Just curious.

Is that lift really more cost effective than just getting a second hangar? Just curious.

Yes it is.....the lift was purchased used on the cheap about 40% off.

In less then 2 years its paid for by avoiding additional hangar fees.

Plus its nice cleaning the belly without laying down on my back. Still need to use wing jacks for annual inspection / gear retract.

Lastly, its just cool. I did not pay for this but my partner did. It really gives a lot more room in the hangar and now its easy to move around and work on other projects. Before the lift was there both birds were in the same hangar it was just a tight squeeze and very little clearance.

A simple Plain Jane...but I'm an old retired guy on a fixed income.

picture.php

Like the couch and coffee table.

We have an Army cot in the back of our t-hangar which I've heard is the emergency landing strip for our co-owner who's outnumbered by females in his household 4:1, but if asked we will neither confirm nor deny. ;)

Somehow I like that tan/rust color on your Piper too. Makes it look a little "classic" without being as god-awful as the 70s vintage Cessna "goldenrod" (our interior color) or worse, that baby poop green. :)

Somehow I like that tan/rust color on your Piper too. Makes it look a little "classic" without being as god-awful as the 70s vintage Cessna "goldenrod" (our interior color) or worse, that baby poop green. :)

Yeah, Piper called it "Butterscotch" And that is the original 1962 paint, the girl has lived indoors all her life. I think the 250 is about the best of the Comanche line, a good compromise of power and economy.

Back