Let's Play "What's it Worth?"

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
I have a friend that's getting up in years and is ready to hang up his David Clark headset. He owns an old Citabria and will be selling it at some point in the near future. I don't know much about Citabrias, other than I think they look like a barrel of fun. You know, like a Cub, only better ;) Anyway, I don't think he's going to want a whole lot for it, and the thought has crossed my mind to purchase it from him, maybe fly it a little, and sell it for fun and profit. I'm not sure what these things are really worth. I've seen some on controller and trade-a-plane in the mid 40's, but I just can't see them actually selling for that. As I said before, he's a friend, so I wouldn't want to low ball the crap out of him, but I would only make an offer that I could make a few bucks off of.

I don't have any good figures at this time, but lets assume mid time engine and 3000 or less total time on the airframe. I don't even know the year.
7ECA Citabria
Lycoming O-235 115hp
Spring steel main gear
Basic steam gauges
If I recall correctly, it was re-skinned about 8-10 years ago.
Paint looks nice
Hangared since at least 1995
Flown regularly
That's about all I know right now.

So, whatcha think it's worth?

DzwtvVEQCsssX3pow4gtbnI2nyrvZ5ZcAcfRqk7TvpE6u0ZmnvHio3YGZkuxa1UdceEkOu3F7Bvtsm70WqDshOmtTaXgilHcqKXfQAP1qtzYDw3pvBpC9a6SJKPfx8iVUu-i0YF-j8jsOazPuvTAP0HJe4vHAO4774KJBxl0Lv4hZ_lOGixIwCoP599-Y9O9NW1oEPqYRToFHXvi55FnNAmAqpWjLpxyGcixWjnF6Ezev2G_HQvLRn-1W7eHalYk1oLZCaBfIwkq2NGzkdRVgCouH1KHXPoGUQqmHm35nM3CWLmuIK0rwfCs4Fz2CvlFWHED-0cOIS4eOuZWG9rXcKPApAs5832m-drPP026FJcM_9L7yCDWVjXXmKQaSvDGlwZKUGrcDtgFsXqPvK2hjOQrTKbwjeTJgxJ-ADZa_-eBEn7hIwjA24edtO4nEmmnuDGwf8AJmSfzIUx5JF986McQ2joF6DhEPWbyW5yju-exCtJcP5DwXlwwyipUH0_or_tuzQYn2M-He5PU0t5yaxcH6CQpt9SuFTplAUTcupEyYcTm-BK2I0W1V64dUtkNTBFY2wXE0GMiNqDW40Vj-9V_94_krzu36i6UF9k=w640-h480-no

The guy that hangars next to me had one similar to what you describe. He sold it for 26k

With the little engine they sell upper 20s low 30s

The year and engine time matter a LOT in the price. Some of them have a wood spar that has a wing rebuild AD.

is this the same guy that had that funky twin, don't recall exactly what it was......

Thank ya, Tom.
There is a huge Spar AD on some wooden spar aircraft, be certain it is complied with. simply peek in the wing and see a metal spar, to know it doesn't apply.

is this the same guy that had that funky twin, don't recall exactly what it was......

I assume you're thinking of the C-337 guy. No sir. This is actually a good friend of mine and my hangar neighbor. He's as good as they come and has enjoyed this little Citabria for about 20 years.

Last edited:
The year and engine time matter a LOT in the price. Some of them have a wood spar that has a wing rebuild AD.
It does not require a wing rebuild.

The AD has inspection port put in the wing to allow inspection of the spar.
It takes me about 6 hours to comply with the AD if it has never been done before.

It takes me about 6 hours to comply with the AD if it has never been done before.

Thanks for the info, Tom. I'll have to ask him about the spar. Sounds like that's a pretty darn important thing to know.

Thanks for the info, Tom. I'll have to ask him about the spar. Sounds like that's a pretty darn important thing to know.
It is, but easy to verify. metal spar, yer good to go.

Better to know, what fabric system was used and when.

That prop is going to need to be replaced. Looks like a full engine tear down is in order, too. Someone hit something turrible turrible hard with that poor little airplane. I’ll give you $100 for it.

It's worth whatever the size of cheque you are willing to write for it. And if someone is willing to write a bigger cheque, it's worth more. But not a penny more than the larger of these two.

That prop is going to need to be replaced. Looks like a full engine tear down is in order, too. Someone hit something turrible turrible hard with that poor little airplane. I’ll give you $100 for it.

I bet you would. Not sure a Benjamin is gonna get it.

It's worth whatever the size of cheque you are willing to write for it. And if someone is willing to write a bigger cheque, it's worth more. But not a penny more than the larger of these two.

True. Smarty pants. Never hurts to get another opinion or ten though.

True. Smarty pants. Never hurts to get another opinion or ten though.

Doing that on PoA might hurt more than you expect. But then you knew that already. ;)

Doing that on PoA might hurt more than you expect. But then you knew that already. ;)

Haha. Well, I'm a 6 year POA veteran, so I know to take what I can get before it spirals into craziness.

Wow... with one prop blade flying off the hub and the other blade all bent like that...... I don't know.....:lol::lol::lol:

I know! He's been flying it like that for years too. I'm tellin' ya, the ol' O-235 is bulletproof. :eek2:

I know I have some better pics, but alas, I can't find them.

As Tom-D already said it's an inspection for cracks, usually from a ground loop or other wing damage, like hitting the wing on a hangar.
The AD is 2000-25-02 and the 7ECA is in Group 2.
The owner is probably already aware of the AD, but here's the text.

http://www.bellanca-championclub.com/AD2000-25-02.html

Last edited:
Back