Let's hear your most outrageous anti-GA conversation from today

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
I think these conversations deserve their own thread.

Here is mine (also posted in another thread).

Co-worker: "I don't understand why they let small planes fly near cities."
Me: "Why is that? If a car jumps the curb and kills a few people, would you call for banning cars in cities? This accident didn't kill anybody but the pilot and his passenger."
Co-worker: "A car hasn't been used to bring down a large building."
Me: "Well, neither has a small plane."
Co-worker: "But they can be used to carry bombs."
Me: "So can a Ryder truck...and one of those HAS been used to bring down a large building. Should we ban those?"
Co-worker: <blink><blink>

Last edited:
I skipped work today thus avoiding most of the stupid things I might hear from a coworker. On the other hand, there was more than enough "news" to fill the void.
The dumbest thing I saw was the third DIFFERENT report "Flying the Hudson" while they discussed WHY it should be shut down.

I wont even get started on this subject, i have a Coworker that is totally anti airplane. We disagree on a regular basis about this.
Dave G.

FlyNE great post! I was thinking this myself. Most folks know not to start with me on that stuff. They will aske me questions which I think is appropriate and I don't mind. Even if they sound stupid they arent' becasue they don't understand GA so I am happy to answer the questions.

Now as for the stupid stuff. As I said they know not to start with me but my wife's friends and coworker can be nuts. Two to three people today gave her the standard line.... cory Lidel died in a crash ... how can you LET Adam fly? ugh.

The good part is it annoys her as much as me.

My wife explained VFR and ATC to one of her co-workers. She's pretty passive about flying, but she picked up a lot!

Cap'n Jack said:
My wife explained VFR and ATC to one of her co-workers. She's pretty passive about flying, but she picked up a lot!
Jann screams at the TV when she hears this stuff. "Of course hey can go where they want!" "They don't need a flight plan!"

Most outrageous?
Just turn on your tv or radio.
From what I've seen, the talking heads and fake 'aviation experts' are just a couple steps short of tatooing our certificate numbers on our forearms, putting pilot wings on our sleeves and box carring us off to concentration camps and firing up the gas chambers. I'm just can't figure out why the media hates aviation worse than terrorists hate america.

Real world: Even the most under educated aviation person around me is smart enough to blowing this off as nothing more than a car wreck scenario.

I'm done with this smashbanger and not going to watch/read/listen/discuss to anything more about it any further with anyone. If I do, or if I even hear another thing about it, I'm going to have to go find a news reporter so I can projectile vomit twice my bodyweight all over them.

Rant off. This puppy is sticking his head in the sand for the duration because I don't like yakking my guts up.

I actually had a very good conversation with a convienent store clerk (he knows I have a plane). We talked about the dangers of flying both to people on the ground, buildings and the people in the plane. By the time we were done I had answered a dozen or so questions about it from others passing through and did not hear on negative comment about general aviation. Most here are used to low flying helocopters from Ft. Campbell flying above our houses anyway.

Back