Lets Go Flyers!!

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
THANKS ANDREW !! (FlyersFan31)

Andrew was nice enough to fly into N99 (Brandywine) this morning to offer the Bride and I a look see at his Sundowner. Mary and I have been talking about a partnership or a club to join but today really locked up the "we need our own aircraft" deal.

When Andrew taxied in she said look how sweet that looks, he keeps that baby spotless. Indeed he does, super clean inside and out and Mary loved all the room. She is so set on taking our Italian Mastiff with us for trips and if it gets us into a plane sooner ......well I'll work on the dog thing at a later date.

We both really like the two doors and the wide cabin. With my metal hip and knee in need of another surgery crawling in a one door set up would not be fun or easy. The Sundowner really fits our need for travel. Good useful load, great built aircraft and dependable.

Andrew offered us both a ride but I had a lesson scheduled for test prep. My instructor pushed my lesson back and said let him know when I was ready, what a great guy. Mary and I wanted to take Andrew out for an early lunch/late breakfast at one of our local stops to/from the airport. We hit the DK Dinner in West Chester. We enjoyed the good eats and some hangar flying info.

With a short hop back to N99 Mary and I walked out to say our good-byes and see Andrew off. I headed to the 172 on the flight line to do my preflight as the Sundowner taxied out. My Instructor commented on how nice that Beech looked and said he really liked them.

Andrew, many thanks again for sharing your time to offer us a look at your Sundowner. I think you pretty much cemented the deal for us when I heard Mary say "that’s us, we need our own plane for whenever the lets go fly bug bites" She said it will be ours, everything where WE leave it, ready to go and taken care of like our auto's". Who the heck am I to argue

The Vette is going up for sale this week. I may as well take advantage of spring fever to line up the buyers. Although Mary rather not sell the vette and instead put a hold on the kitchen remodel, I rather swap one toy for another and still get our new kitchen completed.
We are looking forward to the WINGS BBQ fly-in!!!! We will be there, flyin' or driving.

I will post some pics.....(I just noticed the date was not set correct)

I "painted" out the tail number.....

36U.jpg

How bout' those crosswinds at N99 ????

36U2.jpg

Landing Runway 9

36U5.jpg

Last edited:
You have got a keeper there, she sounds alot like my wife. We started out with a Cessna 150 and everytime we would get home from a long XC, she would say " I want a bigger one " Now we have a Cessna 172. Now when we get home from those long XC's she says " I want a faster one " I sure love my wife!!:D

Those are kind words, Gary. I like the pic of the forward slip.

It was my pleasure - honestly, who wouldn't want an excuse to go flying, show off their plane, and talk flying over a good diner breakfast.

Frankly, I just needed to get in the good Beech word before the Grumman Gang got to you, preaching their false idols of speed, agility and castering nose wheels! :D

As far as Mary is concerned - she is about the most flying-savvy non-flier I've had the pleasure of meeting. You are fortunate to have her in your corner. Honestly - signing off on an A/C purchase before you even have the license? Priceless, as they say on TV.

And for anyone in the Mid-Atlantic today -- what a beautiful morning for flying!!!!!!

flyersfan31 said:
Frankly, I just needed to get in the good Beech word before the Grumman Gang got to you, preaching their false idols of speed, agility and castering nose wheels! :D

Don't forget the fold down rear seats found on the four seat Grumman aircraft, just perfect for a dog.

Gary...you only briefly mentioned issues with your knees in the post above but you may want to take a look at a high wing aircraft...Dr Bruce has mentioned the Cessna 205 a number of times...a cursory investigation appears to indicate that these aircraft are under appreciated in the market place.

Len

RE Crosswinds at N99

What is really interesting is that the prevailing winds in this area tend to be out of the west (exception approaching front or recent frontal passage)...most of the runways in the area tend to be aligned east and west which works out well. Except at Brandywine, there always appears to be a crosswind at N99. Interesting to note that there used to be another runway which ran cross ways to the single runway at the airport today. That runway was converted into an industrial center (houses QVC studios and a UPS truck hub/depot).

Len

flyersfan31 said:
Frankly, I just needed to get in the good Beech word before the Grumman Gang got to you, preaching their false idols of speed, agility and castering nose wheels!

Yeah, we fly to go fast, and have fun doing it. I can leave my living room sofa at home, so I don't need that much room in the Tiger. :D

False idols! LOL!

Dean,

Yes, I'm a lucky guy! I just hope she doesn't wake up from that fever she must be running.......now if she can get her companion course scheduled she will be a happy camper.

- - - - - - - - - -

Andrew,

Again, thanks for the look and for the final push :rofl: Once she took a good look and compared the Sundowner to the Cessna she was"on the boat"!! Making calls today to the guy who has been on me about selling the Vette......it's time to get serious.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Len,

Len Lanetti said:
RE Crosswinds at N99 Interesting to note that there used to be another runway which ran cross ways to the single runway at the airport today. That runway was converted into an industrial center (houses QVC studios and a UPS truck hub/depot).

I didn't know that Len, I will have to search for some old photos to check that out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anthony,

The wife and I have given the Grumman some thought. I'm just not sure how well this metal hip, banged up knee and um......5'-8" 250 lb body will climb on in. I'm not exactly sculptured in the "right" places. :D We only have each other, no children at home, ok except for Maggie girl our Italian Mastif and I really rather not drag her everywhere with us. I may have to make concessions on that one but I can live with that.

GMascelli said:
snip

Anthony,

The wife and I have given the Grumman some thought. I'm just not sure how well this metal hip, banged up knee and um......5'-8" 250 lb body will climb on in. I'm not exactly sculptured in the "right" places. :D We only have each other, no children at home, ok except for Maggie girl our Italian Mastif and I really rather not drag her everywhere with us. I may have to make concessions on that one but I can live with that.

Don't write the Grumman's off without trying them. They are exceptionally easy to get in and out of. Much easier than Cessnas and Pipers, IMHO. You just climb on the wing, step into the cabin, and sit down. They aren't near as roomy as the Sundowners (which I'm also a huge fan of but haven't flown yet), but Cathy and I didn't feel at all crowded, and we aren't small, and were bigger last time we flew a Tiger. We were quite comfy, in fact. But you won't find a Tiger for near as cheap as you can find a Sundowner in comparable condition with comparable equipment.

Joe's right about the costs -- and that's what steered me toward the Sundowner. I was teasing the Grumman crowd; they're great planes and their owners know that. Still, if you're on a limited budget, and speed is lower on your list than space, it's worth looking at the Sundowner.

Back