Let it rain, let it rain

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
For the first time in 144 days...we're getting wet!

It's rained continuously since around midnight. A slow, soaking rain with the dreary overcast that says "this is going to last a while so just hunker down and enjoy it". It's pretty much covered most of the state.

Snow levels are down to 3,000' MSL, which is particularly low, even for here. A friend called to tell me to bring the camera up to Carefree for some photos of snow on cactus. They are at 2,500' MSL.

This is supposed to last through the day and possibly into tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's enough but at least it will help with the fire danger. Yesterday, we were well beyond the conditions that helped the Rodeo-Chedisky fire, the biggest in AZ recorded history. With any luck, we can get a few more days like today and save some forest land from someone's stupid cigarette or careless campfire.

The wife and I had breakfast at the airport and I watched a Lancair takeoff, obviously IFR. Then I saw him land five minutes later...and takeoff again. Initially I thought it was basic touch and goes until I realized he was probably shooting approaches in the only ACTUAL IMC for over six months here!

Here in Southern Oregon, the 10-day forecast shows SNOW every day! This is really strange.

This is the first clear night in a month, snow level in the north cascade is 120% of normal, every low land delta is one big puddle. and tomarrow we build a new back fence, the high winds (one gust at 72 at KNUW) last wed tore it down. along with the 3 large clamatis we had ready to bloom.

Attachments

• P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 20
My brother told me tonight that during his drive from Page, AZ(about 4300msl) to Scottsdale for a niece's wedding he and Doreen ran into serious snow as far "down" as 2000msl; and there were cars and trucks in many places they weren't intended to be. Scottsdale was getting its drench during that period. I'd guess Cave Creek must have been flowing.

HR

Actually, everything was flowing. And half of Phoenix was in Cave Creek and Carefree, along with north Scottsdale, playing in the snow.

Some of these photos were taken near the Bartlett Lake turnoff on Cave Creek Road (including my dog in a friend's backyard). The others were taken at Spur Crossing, a conservation area just outside Cave Creek.

FYI, yes, I had to manipulate the photos a little. I haven't figured out the proper exposures for such a wide range of lights and darks. The B&W photo was an experiment.

Attachments

• IMG_0660 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0660 (Large).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0670 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0670 (Large).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0701 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0701 (Large).jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0707 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0707 (Large).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0710 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0710 (Large).jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0722 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0722 (Large).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0729 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0729 (Large).jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0730 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0730 (Large).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0760 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0760 (Large).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0795 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0795 (Large).jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0748 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0748 (Large).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 13
WoW!!!!!!!!! Nice pic's

wow - looks like y'all got some snow too! That must have been right before it moved out here. Unfortunately, out here it was gone by about 11am, all melted, but still freaking cold.

I gotta say, since we don't sagauros here in New Mexico - that's a really cool sight seeing snow on them. Snow on a Sagauro just seems wrong.

Brian Austin said:
Actually, everything was flowing. And half of Phoenix was in Cave Creek and Carefree, along with north Scottsdale, playing in the snow.

Some of these photos were taken near the Bartlett Lake turnoff on Cave Creek Road (including my dog in a friend's backyard). The others were taken at Spur Crossing, a conservation area just outside Cave Creek.

FYI, yes, I had to manipulate the photos a little. I haven't figured out the proper exposures for such a wide range of lights and darks. The B&W photo was an experiment.

Eh! My buddy who lives in Pheonix was bemoning that 50 and 60 degree weather we had in Denver last week. I can't wait to send him a few of your photos and ask him about warm ole Phoenix :goofy::goofy:

Back