Lessons from the Hangar

FreqFlyrJr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LuckyLindy
Unlike many of the stories in this section of the forum, this one doesn't include a mistake, violation, or any kind of "oops, I hope I don't do this again" moment.

Back in September, my father and I went to Tampa, Florida to pick up our new aircraft: a Grumman Tiger. She's a beautiful bird that we found after months of searching for the perfect trainer & time builder. We finally found her and quickly had a pre-buy done. Before long, I was on a Delta 737 to Tampa to pick her up. Since then, I've put almost 90 hours on her.

There are two Airworthiness Directives associated with the model of AA-5B that we have. One for Aileron Oscillation and one for a Bendix Ignition switch, both of which are due every 100 hours. We've already chosen a maintenance shop that my father and I like due to the people and availability.

Well, it came time to get the ADs taken care of and the oil change fell right on top of the calendar as well. A short flight took us straight to the mechanics with no problems and a stellar view of Memphis, TN.

Upon arriving at the shop and some short analysis of the fine-text Airworthiness Directive, the mechanic, my father, and I pulled the plane in the hangar.

I spent the next five hours with the mechanic learning how to change the oil, clean things like the carpet and areas under the carpet, and even examining the various hidden panels and features of the aircraft. We worked together on the oil change and I ended up doing a lot of it myself!

He walked me through the Bendix ignition switch AD and let me test the switch (since the AD says that the pilot may comply with the directive). At the end of the day, he surprised me and said he actually didn't have to work much at all, he just talked me through everything that I was allowed to do, and explained to me that I could sign it off myself if I wanted. Of course I wanted to! It was my first oil change. My father showed me how to sign the oil change and AD compliance in the logbooks when we returned from the shop.

I can now say that I've preformed preventative maintenance on my own aircraft and that I know so much more about it that I did before.

If you own an aircraft, I would highly recommend you sitting down with your A&P to learn about the maintenance he does on it. It wouldn't hurt at all to ask if you can help!

This was probably the most enjoyable and exciting ways I could have spent my Friday, and I look forward to our next trip back to the mechanics a little more than my wallet does.

Nothing like working on your own aircraft,gives you a better understanding of how things work ,have been doing an owner assisted annual,for three years now.

Nothing like working on your own aircraft,gives you a better understanding of how things work ,have been doing an owner assisted annual,for three years now.

Exactly; I'm excited for the next annual because I'll be doing the owner-assisted as well. I've gotta wait until August for that one though.

Good stuff!

I couldn't imagine not doing owner assist annuals and preventive Mx, even aside from saving money I think it makes you a better pilot in that airframe.

Good for you! Doing your own maintenance will keep the plane in better shape, save you money, teach you how the plane is put together and operates, and increase your confidence in the plane. Your greater knowledge will also pay off if you ever have a problem in the air or on the ground away from home.

Exactly; I'm excited for the next annual because I'll be doing the owner-assisted as well. I've gotta wait until August for that one though.

Do it in April or October. You'll be much more comfortable in the hangar. The inside of a hangar tends to be miserable in the South during August.

Good stuff!

I couldn't imagine not doing owner assist annuals and preventive Mx, even aside from saving money I think it makes you a better pilot in that airframe.

Sounds like you have a great A&P! It is always good to understand what you fly.

Good for you! Doing your own maintenance will keep the plane in better shape, save you money, teach you how the plane is put together and operates, and increase your confidence in the plane. Your greater knowledge will also pay off if you ever have a problem in the air or on the ground away from home.

Thanks for the positive responses, guys! I'm glad I'm now in the club that appreciates owners being involved in the maintenance. :)

Do it in April or October. You'll be much more comfortable in the hangar. The inside of a hangar tends to be miserable in the South during August.

We've actually thought about this, and it's a possibility!

There is an alternate means of compliance for that Aileron AD which calls for confirming that its cross sectional contour is concave both top and bottom. Pass it once and there are no more 100 hr aileron inspections.

You can find a copy here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...m/common_images/SI_06_01_AD_79_22_04_AMOC.pdf

Thank you for linking that! We are looking over it right now. While we're not entirely comfortable that a service bulletin can over-rule an airworthiness directive, we're going to be looking into this before the next 100 hour comes up.

Thank you for linking that! We are looking over it right now. While we're not entirely comfortable that a service bulletin can over-rule an airworthiness directive, we're going to be looking into this before the next 100 hour comes up.

He is correct, It was done on mine by one of the Grumman guru's ken blackman with the same explanation.

Drop in at Wolf River (54M) sometime and you can help work on somebody's airplane anytime.

Who did you take it too? Someone at Spain or Baker?

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Drop in at Wolf River (54M) sometime and you can help work on somebody's airplane anytime.

Who did you take it too? Someone at Spain or Baker?

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Hey Jim! I've actually done my only grass landings at Wolf River. I fly right out of KOLV almost every day. We took it to Spain.

Hey Jim! I've actually done my only grass landings at Wolf River. I fly right out of KOLV almost every day. We took it to Spain.

You know a fellow by the name of Allen McMahan up there? Also, that Jim fellow is a walking fountain of aviation knowledge, and a legend in his own mind. Provide him with a few nips of Woodford Reserve, and you'll learn much.

I can't endorse owner maintenance enough. We did it for several years on the Cherokee, and I plan on doing it for the Mooney. Not only do you learn LOT about your aircraft, but you save a lot of money in maintenance.

If you own an aircraft, I would highly recommend you sitting down with your A&P to learn about the maintenance he does on it. It wouldn't hurt at all to ask if you can help!

That is probably one of the best nuggets of wisdom you can give to a plane owner. Not that I'm an authority on my plane, but I have learned a lot about it since owning it.

Same distance and you haven't been here. Heck, you've stopped at KOLV and blown me off, dick.

Bet if I had some Pappy's you'd stop. :rofl:

Blown YOU off??? Last time you were on the verge of death, or so you said. Lol

And Pappy's is good, but I think I'm preferential to Blanton's.

Blown YOU off??? Last time you were on the verge of death, or so you said. Lol

And Pappy's is good, but I think I'm preferential to Blanton's.

Once and I wasn't hung over...you've been here how many time? :mad2:

I'm not picky. Blanton's, Woodford, Pappy's, Maker's 46...all fine with me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back