Lesson plans

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
Does anyone have a favorite lesson plan.

I have to do my lesson plans for class All I have so far is the Gleim to go by. It would be nice to have a couple of different variations to look at. This will be for LSA.

Dan

Here is one of mine for private that could be used for LSA.

Attachments

• Taxiing lesson.doc
    89 KB · Views: 41
Here is one of mine for private that could be used for LSA.

Thanks, since I am using a Taylorcraft I can put more emphasis on the control inputs parts during taxi. I will have to do a whole part on hand propping also.

Dan

Last edited:
The samples work also I was told by my CFI instructor to look on the web for lesson plans. I also figured that over the years a CFI would have modified their lesson plans to things that work.

Dan
There are a lot of lesson plans on the web but a good amount of your learning will come from simply finding the format that you like then creating the plan. They shouldn't be long, drawn out notes but rather a guide to help you through the main points of a lesson.

You may or may not use them during the oral portion but view them as a learning tool for yourself and you'll do much better. You'll probably never look at them again after the CFI ride. I still use mine here and there but mostly the images I accumulated while studying.

It's a lot of work but well worth the effort.

Thanks Ken, I plan on using a power point type presentation as I am most familiar with it. My drawing skills suck. I cannot use that type for my test but will incorporate most of what I find to computer for a presentation. I really want to not get in the habit of just showing up and flying right off the bat. A small presentation that the student can watch even before I am ready will get the ball rolling for questions rather than "Start-er-up" lets go.

Dan

I should say that by getting into the AIH, learning about lesson plans, and then developing them from scratch yourself, you'll be much better prepared to actually teach. This applies not only to the lesson your plan, but to learning how to teach in general. The lesson plan forces you to organize and structure your lesson, and ensures that your lesson will be cogent, cohesive, coherent, and comprehensive.

I should say that by getting into the AIH, learning about lesson plans, and then developing them from scratch yourself, you'll be much better prepared to actually teach. This applies not only to the lesson your plan, but to learning how to teach in general. The lesson plan forces you to organize and structure your lesson, and ensures that your lesson will be cogent, cohesive, coherent, and comprehensive.

And, find a plan template that you like. A lesson crammed into a template is worse than no plan at all. There are a number of styles to follow, but in general, keep in mind:

What do I want to teach?
Why am I teaching it?
What should the student take from it?
How am I going to teach it?
What do I need to teach it?
How will I know if the student got it?

And, find a plan template that you like. A lesson crammed into a template is worse than no plan at all. There are a number of styles to follow, but in general, keep in mind:

1. What do I want to teach?
  2. Why am I teaching it?
  3. What should the student take from it?
  4. How am I going to teach it?
  5. What do I need to teach it?
  6. How will I know if the student got it?
Another way to say that is:

Introduction:

1. What is the main topic of the lesson
  2. State the value of the topic to the student in a relateable way
  3. Define the lesson's objectives
  4. State a conduct for the student
  5. Any required instructional aids
  6. Measurement criteria
Body:

1. State the objectives
  2. fill in the details
  3. relate to the aircraft or lesson at hand
  4. link to future skills
  5. demonstrate the task (or show examples)
  6. have the student perform the task (or take quiz)
  7. review performance and offer constructive criticism
Conclusion:

1. Restate the intro to remind the student why you just did all of this stuff.
Instructional lesson plans are set up the same no matter the field your are in. The basic outline is to tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you told them. Repetition is the key to making this all sink into long term memory.

Learning is a synthesis of several different kinds of stimuli and tends to work best for most people if it is goal orientated.

I didn't want to get into the lesson planning details. :sleep:

Scott, you must spend too much time on gov't contracts. Take a simple framework, make it complicated....:D:D

I didn't want to get into the lesson planning details. :sleep:

Scott, you must spend too much time on gov't contracts. Take a simple framework, make it complicated....:D:D
Actually the is the PADI (Scuba) instructor way. I teach aspiring scuba instructors and spend a lot of time with them on how to put a lesson plan together, where to draw information from and how to make it all work.

It's pretty close but thats the idea!

Right now I'm at the point of creating a final version of hybrid type lesson plan adapted from several sources :)

Actually the is the PADI (Scuba) instructor way. I teach aspiring scuba instructors and spend a lot of time with them on how to put a lesson plan together, where to draw information from and how to make it all work.

Lucky me, I got a masters degree in education. Totally bogus degree, but at least I can gin up a lesson plan in about 5 minutes. Should help if I go for the CFI.

Lucky me, I got a masters degree in education. Totally bogus degree, but at least I can gin up a lesson plan in about 5 minutes. Should help if I go for the CFI.

If you go then you don't have to take FOI test as far as I know :)

If you go then you don't have to take FOI test as far as I know :)

I think you need an actual teaching certificate. I had a provisional one that must have expired by now, since I've never used it nor have I transferred it from MD to PA. Oh well.

I think you need an actual teaching certificate. I had a provisional one that must have expired by now, since I've never used it nor have I transferred it from MD to PA. Oh well.

(b) The following applicants do not need to comply with paragraph (a)(1) of this section:
(1) The holder of a flight instructor certificate or ground instructor certificate issued under this part;
(2) The holder of a current teacher's certificate issued by a State, county, city, or municipality that authorizes the person to teach at an educational level of the 7th grade or higher; or
(3) A person employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university.

Back