Lesson #3 - Power On Stalls / Engine Out Procedure

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
It is never a good sign when your instructor notifies local traffic that your practice area is "3500ft and below".

Okay, so today I woke up at about noon with a call from Carol who offered to fly down with her husband to meet me at GRD. I got dressed and got out to the airport, verified that I'd be flying with Josh later that day, and waited. Shortly thereafter, 9341P landed and I went out to meet Carol. We talked about flying, I was expecting to take them out to lunch, but instead they asked if I wanted to fly somewhere. I (of course) said sure, and we searched for a nearby airport that had a restaurant on base. None could be found so we instead decided to go to Anderson to the FSS to take a look around. The plane was beautiful and the flight was very nice. Saw Anderson FSS, got some information, and we soon departed. On departure from AND, we saw 21923 from GRD preparing for departure behind us. On the way back to GRD, Carol somehow convinced me to take the controls, which I found are not very nice unless you have access to the trim. (She kept forgetting that I couldn't set the electronic trim) After that was straightened out, we got to GRD, and landed, after which Carol reminded me I couldn't log the time. (Darn.) After that, I said my farewells, and went to the ATM to get the funding for the training flight.

At about 4:45 PM local, Josh was finally ready to get into the air. Went back over preflight, got in, down the checklist, and taxiied down to Rwy 9. Josh says my communication skills are "on the money", so I'm guessing that's good. Took off and headed off to the north of the airport. At about 8 miles, Josh calls "Greenwood Traffic, Cessna 21923 is approximately 8 miles northeast, practice area is 3500 feet and below" Immediately I realize we're not doing "refresher stuff". "Today we're going to start with power on stalls." *Gulp* Ok, so Josh says he'll do the first one, he pulls the power out to 1700 rpm, adds carb heat, bleeds down to 60mph, then full power, no carb heat, and increases the attitude until the Airspeed Indicator reads 0. Shortly after this, the stall horn sounds, but as soon as it does, the right wing almost immediately drops. Josh says he wants me to try now. I'm slightly confused on how to perform, as I was still getting my heartrate back to normal. Josh tells me all the steps one by one, and I slowly start the manuever. After bleeding down to 60, I added full power and began to pull back on the yoke, but instinct kept me from purposefully stalling the plane. Finally I got the nerve and the stall horn sounds, nose drops and I recover, not knowing what the hell I just did to recover. After the first one, Josh tells me to anticipate it and things will be a lot easier. So the second try, stall horn sounds and I dip the nose. Josh says excellent work and to try it once more, but let it break this time. Third time, the nose drops and I get that rush again. We level out, and now my body is full of adrenaline. I tell Josh that was probably worse than any rollercoaster I've ever been on. After that, we do an engine out simulation, and Josh and I land at an airpark not too far from the airport and the lake. We follow procedure all the way to landing, and after taking back off, we decide to do a few touch and goes. Now the refresher stuff kicks in. A few times around the pattern and I was back to where I was a few months ago. I'm loving every minute. Below are my notes from this lesson. Any help with information listed is greatly appreciated
biggrin.gif

This Lesson: 1.0 Hrs
Total Time: 3.0 Hrs

NOTES:

70mph = Optimal glide (for C-150)

=======================================================

TRAFFIC PATTERN:

Departure: Maintain 70mph, ascend to 500ft AGL (1100ft MSL @ GRD)
Make Left Crosswind Turn, continuing ascent to 1000ft AGL (1600ft @ GRD)
Make Left Downwind Turn (Call rwy, downwind, and touch and go/full stop),
continuing ascent. Upon 1000ft AGL, reduce to 2400 RPM.
Abeam the numbers: Carb Heat ON, Reduce to 1700 RPM, 10* Flaps (3 Sec)
Make Left Base Turn (Call rwy, base, and touch and go/full stop),
Another 10* Flaps, reduce power to idle.
Make Left Final (Call rwy, final, and touch and go/full stop),
Wings level, use Rudders to maintain centerline
Keep Rwy Number visible until just above the runway, level out, allow plane to sink.

Upon touchdown, if full stop, exit rwy and make "clear" call.

Upon touchdown, if touch and go, Carb heat OFF, Full Power, Flaps up,
make "on the go" call.

Engine Out Procedure:

FLY THE PLANE
Maintain 70mph
Search for landing spot
FLY THE PLANE!

(Where does declaring emergency come into play?)

Power On Stalls:

Climb to altitude, Carb Heat, Reduce power to 1700rpm, Bleed off speed (20* incline)
Upon 60mph, Carb Heat OFF, Full Power, Increase rate of climb until stall horn.

CORRECTIVE MANUEVER:

Rudder opposite of first stalled wing, lower nose.

Information:

VFR Flight Altitudes (Above 3000ft AGL)

Magnetic Course: 0* to 179*, Fly at Odd Flight Altitudes + 500 ft (3500, 5500, 7500)
Magnetic Course: 180* to 359*, Fly at Even Flight Altitudes + 500 ft (4500, 6500)

wbarnhill said:
I

Information:

VFR Flight Altitudes (Above 3000ft AGL)

Magnetic Course: 0* to 179*, Fly at Odd Flight Altitudes + 500 ft (3500, 5500, 7500)
Magnetic Course: 180* to 359*, Fly at Even Flight Altitudes + 500 ft (4500, 6500)

This is easy. Just remember "odd people fly east." (Odd thousands on easterly headings.)

It was a fun day. I am glad your lesson went well.

Very much so :D Thanks so much again for visiting, it means alot to me to finally meet others who are addicted to this lifestyle :) And a very big thanks for the trip to Anderson. I'll be sure to visit SPA sometime. What what the breakfast thing you were talking about again? I'm sorry, my mind is a bit shot from the overload of flying today :)

wbarnhill said:
Very much so :D Thanks so much again for visiting, it means alot to me to finally meet others who are addicted to this lifestyle :) And a very big thanks for the trip to Anderson. I'll be sure to visit SPA sometime. What what the breakfast thing you were talking about again? I'm sorry, my mind is a bit shot from the overload of flying today :)

http://scaaonline.com/calendar_scbc.html

If you attend once you are a life member :)

Carol said:
This is easy. Just remember "odd people fly east." (Odd thousands on easterly headings.)

It was a fun day. I am glad your lesson went well.
I always say to myself, "He left her, but she got even." Works just as well if you switch the pronouns! :)

wbarnhill said:
Engine Out Procedure:

FLY THE PLANE
Maintain 70mph
Search for landing spot
FLY THE PLANE!

I was taught to only declare when you have the aircraft in control and a landing spot picked out. There is a good post on it somewhere on the board. My procedure has always been establish glide speed, find spot, and then if there is time and you feel comfortable talk to someone. Of course i fly in Kansas and there isn't too many places where you couldn't get down safe.

wbarnhill said:
It is never a good sign when your instructor notifies local traffic that your practice area is "3500ft and below".

Engine Out Procedure:

FLY THE PLANE
Maintain 70mph
Search for landing spot
FLY THE PLANE!

Declaring an emergency comes in after you have gone through your routine to stabilize and restart the plane and it fails. Then it becomes a matter of where you are. If you are in an urban setting, don't worry about it, whomever's house you land in will be sure to notify someone. If you are in a remote setting, you want to make it known before you're too low for radio contact and Radar contact when you flip on 7700. That BTW is the most effective emergency call you can make.

wbarnhill said:
Power On Stalls:

Climb to altitude, Carb Heat, Reduce power to 1700rpm, Bleed off speed (20* incline)
Upon 60mph, Carb Heat OFF, Full Power, Increase rate of climb until stall horn.

CORRECTIVE MANUEVER:

Rudder opposite of first stalled wing, lower nose.

Carb heat at 1700??? Oh well...

BTW, if you keep the ball in the center, both wings will stall at the same time. Don't worry, by the time you take your checkride, you'll be able to do a power on stall straight ahead and not lose 10 feet. BTW, NEVER trust the actuation or accuracy of a stall horn.

Rudy said:
I was taught to only declare when you have the aircraft in control and a landing spot picked out. There is a good post on it somewhere on the board. My procedure has always been establish glide speed, find spot, and then if there is time and you feel comfortable talk to someone. Of course i fly in Kansas and there isn't too many places where you couldn't get down safe.

Remember Rudy, you don't have to talk to communicate. Flipping to 7700 gets you attention real quick

Brian Austin said:
"East is not Even" always works for me. ;)

Why learn another saying when you already have one that works?

Double up the meaning for magnetic variation:
"East is least, West is best."
Since the least cruising altitudes is 3000, east is odd thousands and everything is obviously magnetic starting at 0 deg.

Before starting to fly for real, I used to be a geek that used Vatsim and Microsoft flight simulator to fly.

In their training stuff, i remember something that said "NEOdd, SWEven," meaning that from North through east, odd. From South through west, even.

For some reason, it always stuck with me.

In your orgingal post for emergency procedures you have it hit right on the head.

FLY THE PLANE! FLY THE PLANE! FLY THE PLANE!

If you always remember that you have a very, very high chance of flying another day. If you fail to remember that things get ugly very fast.

Keep up the good work and always have fun flying.

If you're interested in more detailed information about stalls (and spins), and if you're an AOPA member, check out the articles assembled at:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/topics/stalls.html

Even if you're not yet a member of AOPA, you can read an AOPA Flight Training article about stalls online.

You may also want to review Chapter 4, "Slow Flight, Stalls, and Spins" in The Airplane Flying Handbook and Chapter 3 "Aerodynamics of Flight" in the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

You'll find a wealth of information that you can discuss with your instructor.

Back