LEO, Doctors, Lawyers, Insurers................

Sounds like they didn't want to release her name until they were
absolutely sure they couldn't cover it up.

Sounds like they were doing what most "responsible" LE agencies would do. Don't identify a suspect until you are sure they were involved. We don't release names of anyone until there has been an arrest made or an accident report filed...and here, by policy, DPS troopers have 30 days to file an accident report with HQ.

Imagine the uproar if they had released a name, then found out they identified the wrong person.

With a driving records like that though... sounds like the lady needs to hire a driver...AFTER the courts get through with her.

Imagine the uproar if they had released a name, then found out they identified the wrong person.

Like with the Atlanta Olympic bomber? What a mess that was. Or that researcher who was alleged by the feds to be the anthrax guy

It sounds like they did do the right thing but that they don't always do this for 'regular' people, just ones with money and I think that is what has a lot of the citizenry in an uproar in Maine.

Like with the Atlanta Olympic bomber? What a mess that was. Or that researcher who was alleged by the feds to be the anthrax guy

Exactly. Which is why if you [agency head] are smart, you have a written policy to that effect and it applies to EVERYONE. Can't stop the media from speculating though.

Hey, Harley, the way I remember there was no mystery when Steven King was hit, but I guess that driver didn't flee the scene.

Good point, Mike. The driver's name was plastered the world-over by the media; Stephen was lucky to be alive(and he's one who didn't need the free "publicity." He's a super-nice guy, has been very generous to many projects in our state.

HR

Back