Legal or not? (Company Reimbursement)

I have a related question about reimbursements for people with a commercial license. I don't have one, but when I get the hours I don't see that much reason not to. I think it was Ron that mentioned "company pilot." How does that work relative to part 119 operations? You can receive compensation for carrying passengers without being a 119 operation?

The way the FAA looks at it is "are you holding out to the public for transportation?"

If your operation is "holding out", i.e. advertising transportation services for sale then it falls under 121, 125, 135, etc. If you are not holding out but your operation is for the benefit of the company (corporate) then it falls under Part 91.

flowchartaircarrier-1.jpg

Wow, that's a great flow chart, R&W. Thanks for the replies everyone, that's finally some regulation that makes sense! :)

Say I am a commercial pilot and my company rents an airplane for me to fly myself and another employee somewhere. Trade show or something.

Lets say I have a renter's policy with a buttload of liability insurance. Will my employer be protected by this liability insurance as well?

Careful. One of the Washington idiots declared that as compensation if you take a co-worker with you.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...erpretations/data/interps/2009/Mangiamele.pdf

Rebecca MacPherson is an idiot, and should have her title revoked.

Already done...look at the most recent interpretations, there's a new sheriff in town.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...0/interpretations/data/interps/2013/Beaty.pdf
Mark W. Bury
Acting Assistant Chief Counsel for
International Law, Legislation and Regulations Division
AGC-200

Say I am a commercial pilot and my company rents an airplane for me to fly myself and another employee somewhere. Trade show or something.

Lets say I have a renter's policy with a buttload of liability insurance. Will my employer be protected by this liability insurance as well?
Not unless you make your employer an additional insured on your policy. And even then, the odds are you won't be able to purchase enough liability coverage to satisfy the average corporate risk manager. A million or two might be enough to protect you personally from rabid personal injury lawyers, but those lawyers will start to salivate at the prospect of attacking your company's assets, which probably dwarf yours and make a far more inviting target for litigation.

Only if you select the option to have your employer as a named insured as well., and as Ron notes, you probably can't get enough insurance to matter.

Last edited:
Back