Left wing dips after liftoff...

Kirbhund

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kirbhund
I have been studying film of recent flights and noticed that the C150m that I fly often drops the left wing slightly right after liftoff. Trying to figure out why.

I have been studying film of recent flights and noticed that the C150m that I fly often drops the left wing slightly right after liftoff. Trying to figure out why.

Are you flying solo? You're on the left side... That would be my easy explanation :confused:

It's not often talked about: you get a little proverse roll with the left yaw tendencies during the climb.

The airplane yaws left causing the right wing to move through the air faster than the left. The velocity difference yields more lift on the right than left and then rolls the airplane.

It's not often talked about: you get a little proverse roll with the left yaw tendencies during the climb.

The airplane yaws left causing the right wing to move through the air faster than the left. The velocity difference yields more lift on the right than left and then rolls the airplane.
It's actually from the dihedral which gives the right wing a higher angle of attack when yawed left. But same difference.

And a contribution of torque roll from the engine. The propeller is trying to stand still and spin the airplane.

Wing wag to acknowledge the Security Service intercept :)

And a contribution of torque roll from the engine. The propeller is trying to stand still and spin the airplane.

The torque reaction on a 150 is so small as to be insignificant.

The OP should take a look at where the control wheel is in level cruising flight with the ball centered. The airplane might be misrigged. Or he might just have a bit of left aileron in the takeoff roll. Or he has a consistent crosswind from the right in the takeoff.

Dan

May be a little heavy handed on lift off.

As in pulling yoke back to quickly, early or too far?
Yeah, that. I knew people would jump on the right rudder thing, but really it only works like that if AoA is great enough. Otherwise puny O-200-A in 150 can't generate Right Turning Tendencies worth squat. Just let it fly on its own accord and not try to rotate like airliner and it'll fly level all day with minimum right rudder.

Yeah, that. I knew people would jump on the right rudder thing, but really it only works like that if AoA is great enough. Otherwise puny O-200-A in 150 can't generate Right Turning Tendencies worth squat. Just let it fly on its own accord and not try to rotate like airliner and it'll fly level all day with minimum right rudder.
I noticed that even compared to the 172 I used to fly, very little right rudder is needed. Thanks

I had the same issue.

The problem?

Without realizing it, when I pulled back on the yoke my left hand twisted. It turned the yoke. The plane turned left.

I had the same issue.

The problem?

Without realizing it, when I pulled back on the yoke my left hand twisted. It turned the yoke. The plane turned left.

I read somewhere that is common.

When I first read the title: "Left wing dips . . . ",
I thought this was going to be spin zone material.

I agree with not rotating quite as soon. But you still need to keep appropriate right rudder.

Back