Leesburg

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
I have flown into Leesburg in the past ,going down in September,looking to take a few people up for a ride. Any ideas on how to do this with the least amount of headaches. I have had the course from AOPA but there seems to be some confusion on the entrance portal for Leesburg.Thanks

I have flown into Leesburg in the past ,going down in September,looking to take a few people up for a ride. Any ideas on how to do this with the least amount of headaches. I have had the course from AOPA but there seems to be some confusion on the entrance portal for Leesburg.Thanks

Just so everyone is clear, you're talking about Leesburg VA, JYO, located within the Washington DC SFRA?

Print this off, study it, and take it with you. It's not complicated...

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gsl...712/Kneeboard - JYO SFRA Checklist 111130.pdf

...oh and makes sure you take the FAA Washington DC SFRA Awareness training and print off your certificate.

Last edited:
I have taken it ,but misplaced my certificate,so I will take it again always good to refresh.talking about Va. Thanks Ron

Brad just reviewed the joy info thanks again.

My understanding is (though I've never done it; I play around in the NE corner of the SFRA) you have two choices. If you're going in and out to the NW (ie only in the little triangular Leesburg maneuvering area), you can use the simplified "ingress" and "egress" squawk codes (1227 and 1226), and not talk to ATC. Just make regular calls on Leesburg's CTAF.

If it's not convenient for you to be going directly in from the northwest and back out to the northwest, just do like a normal SFRA flight: file a flight plan from an entry gate to JYO and/or from JYO to an exit gate, contact ATC before entering the SFRA and/or taking off at JYO and get your transponder code from them.

Either way, squawk your code all the way to the ground, and before taking off. And if any of this disagrees with the course, do what the course says :)

I have taken it ,but misplaced my certificate,so I will take it again always good to refresh.talking about Va. Thanks Ron
You don't need to have the certificate, just that you've taken the course and printed the certificate (yes, that's the way the reg reads). But if you haven't done it in a while, reviewing the course would be prudent.

My understanding is (though I've never done it; I play around in the NE corner of the SFRA) you have two choices. If you're going in and out to the NW (ie only in the little triangular Leesburg maneuvering area), you can use the simplified "ingress" and "egress" squawk codes (1227 and 1226), and not talk to ATC. Just make regular calls on Leesburg's CTAF.

If it's not convenient for you to be going directly in from the northwest and back out to the northwest, just do like a normal SFRA flight: file a flight plan from an entry gate to JYO and/or from JYO to an exit gate, contact ATC before entering the SFRA and/or taking off at JYO and get your transponder code from them.

Either way, squawk your code all the way to the ground, and before taking off. And if any of this disagrees with the course, do what the course says :)
No need to worry -- you've got it right.

Thanks to all has been two years since I went into Leesburg.Its starting to come back to me.

Back