LED light issue

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
We’ve put LED lights in our bathroom fixture and have a weird problem. There are two fixtures of three bulbs each. In each of the fixtures, the middle socket has a problem. We’ve changed bulbs around and the middle bulb either stays on a short time, flickers and then goes out or doesn’t come on at all. It’s not consistent between bulbs, the same bulb will do different things.

I’ve run through the troubleshooting for common led problems and nothing makes sense. If the polarity was bad, it would never come on. I can’t see heat being a problem if it never comes on.

today it’s likely I will take one of the fixtures down and see if there’s anything weird inside, but I don’t know what weird might look like.

Other than hiring an electrician, thoughts?

Sounds like a bad fixture socket. Or maybe corrosion. if you’re really attached to the fixture, maybe try polishing the inside of the socket (with the fixture disconnected, obviously).

why the same socket in both fixtures is a little weird, tho.

Coincidence? Make sure you post your findings, I’m bored!!

Diagnostic - two bulbs in the left and middle work fine. It isn't the bulb and it isn't the fixture directly.

I did take the fixture down and everything inside looks good - electrical connections look solid and the system is grounded.

This is a downward facing fixture. My working theory is heat - the bulb in the middle also gets heat from the outsides and being downward facing, the heat cannot escape. That doesn't work 100%, but it's the best I have right now.

All of which will probably wind up being moot because in taking them down, I discovered that the cheaply made fixtures are rusting. The units will be replaced, but wtf makes a bathroom lighting fixture that rusts? Never mind, I know the answer. When we bought this house we were told the previous owners were perfectionists. That has turned out to be anything but true.

Barring stainless steel or plastic, anything in that damp, steamy environment will rust. Finding a light fixture actually made of stainless rather than simply a stainless finish? Good luck.

Back