Leaving Charter

No engineering work-related flying??

Nope, not here. You either need to be flight test or at a small company for that. I am neither.

I wish every CFI had the chance to fly a year as Ted did before teaching. The extra depth and breadth they would bring to instruction, not to mention the mistakes they would NOT make would do wonders for the improvement of primary flight training.
But, I sure don't miss sleeping in old recliners in a pilot's lounge waiting for the extraction team to come back with a liver or lungs or heart.

Thanks, Jim. I always felt that my dog flying was among the best training anyone could get. The part that's proven so disheartening is that I've offered a number of newer pilots the opportunity to participate and learn. Danos is the only one who took full advantage of it, and he's a great pilot.

The part that's proven so disheartening is that I've offered a number of newer pilots the opportunity to participate and learn. Danos is the only one who took full advantage of it, and he's a great pilot.

I know someone who offered aspiring helicopter pilots an excellent opportunity via a well-read blog, and specifically stated to email her at the address provided and NOT leave a comment on the blog. Pretty sure she got more blog comments than emails... Sad.

I sure wish you were a bit closer, I'd love to help out even if I'm unlikely to be on an aviation career path any time soon.

Granted, what I was doing was about 75% Part 91 and only about 25% charter but I had been mulling over when I wanted to "retire". Then I was forced into this long break and decided I want to come back. I miss the people, even the charter customers, in a warped way. I also realized that I like not having to think too much about what I am spending and my generous (cough) salary allows that. I also don't actually work that hard. Mostly I get paid for being available.

Last edited:
I know someone who offered aspiring helicopter pilots an excellent opportunity via a well-read blog, and specifically stated to email her at the address provided and NOT leave a comment on the blog. Pretty sure she got more blog comments than emails... Sad.

I sure wish you were a bit closer, I'd love to help out even if I'm unlikely to be on an aviation career path any time soon.

The part that I find even crazier is that the most common response I get is "Don't you fly any shorter trips? I don't want to fly that many hours." Wait, what? You're trying to build hours and the opportunity to get 8-20 hours of twin time on a looooong XC with ice, storms, weather, in 1-2 days is unappealing to you? Sigh...

Granted, what I was doing was about 75% Part 91 and only about 25% charter but I had been mulling over when I wanted to "retire". Then I was forced into this long break and decided I want to come back. I miss the people, even the charter customers, in a warped way. I also realized that I like not having to think too much about what I am spending and my generous (cough) salary allows that. I also don't actually work that hard. Mostly I get paid for being available.

I didn't realize you were on a break, I guess I'm out of the loop. I hope that you're able to return soon.

I definitely understand the missing the people part. I miss some of the people I worked with and dealt with flying charter, plus I got to go places I found interesting. One of the harder parts for me now is I miss both the act of traveling and being someplace different. These days it's easy to go a month or more without being more than 30 miles from home. But that'll change again. :)

Nope, not here. You either need to be flight test or at a small company for that. I am neither.

Thanks, Jim. I always felt that my dog flying was among the best training anyone could get. The part that's proven so disheartening is that I've offered a number of newer pilots the opportunity to participate and learn. Danos is the only one who took full advantage of it, and he's a great pilot.

Try calling me:wink2:

The part that I find even crazier is that the most common response I get is "Don't you fly any shorter trips? I don't want to fly that many hours." Wait, what? You're trying to build hours and the opportunity to get 8-20 hours of twin time on a looooong XC with ice, storms, weather, in 1-2 days is unappealing to you? Sigh...

That's like when I was trying to build hours so I could rent the club 177RG (125 hr TT minimum, IIRC). I always wanted to fly the Archer because it was 'faster', even though I could rent the 152 for $35/hr and point it into the wind and go nowhere. The hours look the same in the logbook, but.... :dunno:

That's like when I was trying to build hours so I could rent the club 177RG (125 hr TT minimum, IIRC). I always wanted to fly the Archer because it was 'faster', even though I could rent the 152 for $35/hr and point it into the wind and go nowhere. The hours look the same in the logbook, but.... :dunno:

There's always the quality vs quantity question. In the case where I'm offering both, it makes no sense. But hey, it's what I heard regularly.

Back