Leaving and returning?

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
I was thinking about picking up a friend in Chicago about half-way through the event. Does anyone know if it's possible to leave, keep the camping site and return to it a few hours later?

Thanks,

-Felix

I was thinking about picking up a friend in Chicago about half-way through the event. Does anyone know if it's possible to leave, keep the camping site and return to it a few hours later?
Felix, people do it all the time. Here's a picture of our campsite one year when we were lucky enough to park on the very end of the row. You can see the row marker with the row number in the picture. It might not hurt to put your row number on your GAC sign if you leave and come back to the same spot...it might help the volunteers on the ground.

Attachments

• Oshkosh 2004 018 70.JPG
    Oshkosh 2004 018 70.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 43
Felix, people do it all the time.

Good question Felix, I've been wondering that myself.

What do you do if the ATIS says the field's full and go pound sand (ie, go to FLD)? Will they still even let you fly in?

Thanks,

Kent

Thanks Diana. Wish I had those high wings - sure looks comfortable.

Kent - that's a good point. It sounds like there might be a way, at least judging from Diana's answer. Sure would be unfortunate if you couldn't come back to get your things :-/

-Felix

What do you do if the ATIS says the field's full and go pound sand (ie, go to FLD)? Will they still even let you fly in?

Thanks,

Kent

AFaIK, the field doesn't actually close when parking is full. You can land but if there's nowhere to park, you just have to get in line to take off. Should you have a "reserved" spot I see no reason why you couldn't land and go there as long as the airport itself is open for landings.

AFaIK, the field doesn't actually close when parking is full. You can land but if there's nowhere to park, you just have to get in line to take off. Should you have a "reserved" spot I see no reason why you couldn't land and go there as long as the airport itself is open for landings.

I've never tried to land when parking was full. Do they let you go up and down the 'aisles' looking for an empty spot before you have to depart or are you directed to the end of the line once you hit the grass? I've been camping there and heard via ATIS that the parking is full, but the I could see 4-5 spots open just within sight of our site.

Thanks,

Kent
Go to FLD and take the $7.00 bus every 20 mins to the entrance gate. Just not a big deal. But then you have to go back in the PM and get the airplane.

Felix,

If you discuss your intentions with the area parking coordinator (I don't know if you're camping in the "North Forty", Vintage and Classic, or some other area designated for aircraft camping) your chances are very good that your spot will not be taken by a new arrival. The ground marshallers and parkers try to accomodate any reasonable request. It's not uncommon for planes to fly out for a few hours and return throughout the week.

I have been there when the field was closed to new arrivals due to lack of parking, usually the afternoon of the first couple of days of the fly-in, which is why a lot of people arrive a couple of days early, and this year they are invoking the arrival procedure on the Friday before the official opening (a day earlier than last year).

Yeah it's not Oshkosh, but pilots can also camp at Brennand Airport (79C), 10 nm north. Maybe an option for easy leaving & returning if need be. There's transportation to & from the show, a (primitive?) shower, & it's not too bad on the overnight / tiedown fees. Let me find out more details and I'll post in a separate thread. This is where I instruct and have my office.

This year we are again hosting Evektor and Cub Crafters (demo flights) as well as (new this year) Flight Design.

It might not hurt to put your row number on your GAC sign if you leave and come back to the same spot...it might help the volunteers on the ground.

You're really up on that stuff Diana. I'll just tell 'em I'm going to the tent with American flags out front :yes:

Dave :blueplane:

Back