Leaving Alaska... Looking for Aviation Museums

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
This January, I'll be taking the Alaskan Marine Highway from Haines Jct, Alaska to Bellingham, WA ... From there I will be driving across the country to Missouri where I'll be stationed at Whiteman AFB.

Looking for must see aviation spots, museums, landmarks... Etc along the way

Mainly looking for aviation museums. :wink2:

Evergreen museum,home to the spruce goose.

Boeing Museum; Evergreen Museum. Both in WA.
Evergreen museum is in Oregon. Boeing's museum is aimed towards kids (except the factory tour part), but the Museum of Flight on Seattle's Boeing Field is world class. The Flying Heritage Museum in Everett is a must-see, for military aircraft and associated hardware.

Ron Wanttaja

WAAAM has a huge collection of vintage gliders. I need to visit there. I second the Cosmosphere.

Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, KS is a must-see, and second to that is the Kansas Aviation Museum in Wichita. You should be able to work both in on the way to MO.

There is also a museum in Liberal, KS but I haven't been there yet. There is another in Topeka that is more a collection of planes in a big hangar, but you can wander around and climb on many of them.

You can do that at the Cosmosphere too. :D
And the Museum of Flight in Seattle...where there's also a G-21 drone to marvel at.

The SR-71 in McMinnville has one wing folded up...see the innards.

Ron Wanttaja

I am hope you have already been to the aviation museum at AlaskaLand, or whatever they call it now, there in Fairbanks. I hope you had a chance to see the Alaska Aviation Museum in Anchorage.

I took the inside passage from Juneau to Prince Rupert, BC. If you are on the car ferry, word of warning. The food is bad... REALLY BAD. I had to sneak down to my truck and get my survival food out. Otherwise it was a great trip. I spent most of the daylight travel up top looking at scenery, some of the time in the bar, and the rest of the time sleeping.

I am guessing you will be driving from Fairbanks to Haines Junction, Yukon, Canada then turning right on Hwy 3 to Haines, AK. Be sure to pass through the border crossing from Canada into the US before midnight. Or you might have to sleep in your vehicle like I did. The Canadians were very courteous and woke me the next morning in time to drive into Haines to catch the first ferry. Plan for extra travel time for winter conditions.

After reaching Prince Rupert I drove down to Spokane, then across Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and into south east Texas. I spent 42 hours on the ferry and 6 days driving. My biggest regret was that I traveled alone.

You probably already know, for the drive across Alaska and Canada take extra gas, food and water. And I can't say this enough, plan for winter conditions along the road.

Sounds like a fun trip, stop and enjoy the sights on Uncle Sams nickel.!!!!

Pueblo, Colorado has an aviation museum at the airport. Take a guided tour and you can go inside the B-29.

These all sounds great... I really do appreciate your tips... Will post photos along the trip in January

Not aviation but when we left Alaska we drove the alcan and stopped at a lot of places. The most memorable was Yellowstone! In November when we were there a lot of the park was closed but it sure was very pretty scenery and they had a nice hot spring to get into. Again not aviation but if driving by it's worth the stop. From there we went over to Mount Rushmore and then dropped down. Was on our way from Eielson to Little Rock AFB.

Have fun on the trip. On the way up to Eielson we took the ferry from Bellingham and that was so cool to see the glaciers and back water ways. Enjoy the scenery!

Back