Leaving Alaska... Headed state side...

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
The military, Air Force rather... is PCS'ing me... Really just a fancy term for "Relocating"... :(

Have a map of my route... Anyone willing to put me up for the night? Share a good flying story over a beer as I pass through? I'll be on my way to Whiteman AFB, Missouri... Stop and goes along the way...

Planning on stopping at the Boeing Museum, Evergreen Air & Space Museum, Salt Lake, and MT Rushmore...

I have plenty of Alaskan flying stories to share... :rofl:

Comment or PM me!

Attachments

• Route.JPG
    Route.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 185
I'm on the other coast ,sorry I can't be of help.stay safe ,and good luck on your journey.

The military, Air Force rather... is PCS'ing me... Really just a fancy term for "Relocating"... :(

Have a map of my route... Anyone willing to put me up for the night? Share a good flying story over a beer as I pass through? I'll be on my way to Whiteman AFB, Missouri... Stop and goes along the way...

Planning on stopping at the Boeing Museum, Evergreen Air & Space Museum, Salt Lake, and MT Rushmore...

I have plenty of Alaskan flying stories to share... :rofl:

Comment or PM me!

Stopping at BVS? mind sleeping in a motorhome?

If you turn KSLC into KJAC , you have a spare bedroom to crash in...

That's a lot of travelling. Are they going to give you a healthy travel time allowance, or will you have to burn some leave?

Before you leave up there, just wondering if you've ever heard of or met an old pilot/aircraft owner named Sid Stealy? He is/was a retired dentist up there in Fairbanks that made house calls in the bush for years. Old friend of my dad's from Raleigh NC originally.

Lost track of him, but he was recognized a few years back with an aviation award up there.

Dad bought the Monocoupe in my avatar from him....but it was in five or six crates at the time...

Alex -
I'm in Boulder, Colorado, about 90-120 minute drive from Cheyenne Wyoming and the intersection of Interstates 25 and 80. Closest airports are KBDU or KBJC.

We've got eleven microbreweries within easy bicycling distance, good food, and more. I'd be proud to host you.

Alex -
I'm in Boulder, Colorado, about 90-120 minute drive from Cheyenne Wyoming and the intersection of Interstates 25 and 80. Closest airports are KBDU or KBJC.

We've got eleven microbreweries within easy bicycling distance, good food, and more. I'd be proud to host you.
And it'll be a great reason to have another POA meet!

Made that same trip a couple of times. Well, I stopped in Washington....

The museums at Paine Field (KPAE) are great and the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field (KBFI) is a must see. I wish that I had the space but we are tearing our place a part in an effort to finish the renovations before baby number two shows up. You will be driving right by Ft. Lewis (JBLM now) and I live right behind the impact area. If you need anything, please feel free to message me and I will try to help you out.

Before you leave up there, just wondering if you've ever heard of or met an old pilot/aircraft owner named Sid Stealy? He is/was a retired dentist up there in Fairbanks that made house calls in the bush for years. Old friend of my dad's from Raleigh NC originally.

Lost track of him, but he was recognized a few years back with an aviation award up there.

Dad bought the Monocoupe in my avatar from him....but it was in five or six crates at the time...

He is a friend of mine and he is doing fine.

If you end up near the Twin Cities I'd be happy to connect. Have spare rooms if you need an overnight. Just let me know when.

Loren

Depending on timing, we could offer a place to stay in Port Townsend, WA (0S9) as an alternative to Bellingham. We are in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains, so there is a higher probability of VFR conditions here than in Bellingham or Seattle. Two months ago I flew our Maule from Virginia to Port Townsend and a flight to Alaska is on my bucket list. I sent a PM with my contact info.

Last edited:

Dave, so sorry I am late getting back to you... I sure do know Syd Stealy... GREAT FRIENDS! I have dinner with him and his wife practically every week... I will shoot you a PM

-Alex

Thanks everyone. I will shoot you all a PM... All is set to be on schedule in January.

Wish you were heading farther east, would love to meet you especially with the Eielson, FAI connection.

Does anyone have the tail number of Alexs plane. I would like to color him to his new station

I heard from Alex. He left Fairbanks and is now on the ferry, so 'floating' right now. Should be in Seattle 1/16 and Colorado a few days later.

Colorado POAers: Lets have a get-together in his honor. Details forthcoming, but probably Boulder area and a microbrewery with food. Please email me if you want more info. Most likely 1/20 or 1/19.

I made that trip on the Columbia back in 84 with a 1980 Kawasaki 750LTD

I heard from Alex. He left Fairbanks and is now on the ferry, so 'floating' right now. Should be in Seattle 1/16 and Colorado a few days later.

Colorado POAers: Lets have a get-together in his honor. Details forthcoming, but probably Boulder area and a microbrewery with food. Please email me if you want more info. Most likely 1/20 or 1/19.
Count me in.

Hi All,
Just heard from Alex. He's been delayed by weather and won't make it to Boulder, so unfortunately we have to cancel this get together.

Here's wishing him safe travels and that we find another excuse to meet up soon.

Anyone heard from Alex since he arrived at his new duty station?

Yup. He settled in fine. Got checked out on a Garmin G1000 equipped 182 for CAP. I think his dad was visiting him last week.

Back