Leave of Absence

Randall45

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Randall
I began Georgetown in August, and although I love everything about it, I do miss flying. School consumes too much time and getting to an airport isn't easy (public transportation doesn't go there, no car, etc.).

Long story short: Can't fly.

I must preface by saying that I'm supremely happy that I got my license while in high school. Seeing that college life is too prohibitive of aviation training--and the fact that real life is far more complex (having real responsibilities and what not that I don't know about)--I highly suggest getting it done as soon as possible.

What can I do so that I don't lose touch? I can only fly during breaks and I figure I'll go up with an instructor to get reacquainted.

I'm sure many of you struggle with a similar phenomena and would like your advice and tips.

Last edited:
Keep in touch here- reasonable chance you can occasionally snag a ride with a board participant, from time to time.

Remember, your certificate does not expire- it just becomes stale.

Keep your 3rd class medical up to date- easy to do, and allowing it to lapse will be an extra impediment to returning.

You won't lose the skills you've acquired. Keep your head in the flying through reading (which you're obviously doing by hanging out here), and fly on your breaks. College flys by, so don't worry too much about short breaks in your flying. Focus on doing well in school and all will work out.

Good luck with both your schooling and flying.

College will be over before you know it. Doesn't the public transportation go to Potomac airfield outside of DC. ,go hang around the airport occasionally.

I had a carfree student at GAI all the way from the start of Private to the finish of Instrument at GAI. He took his bike on Metro and rode the rest of the way. I've also used CGE, and it is an an easy walk fro the College Park Metro station. For comparison, a drive from GAI to Arlington at rush hour often takes an hour and a half.

Bottom line: a car may not be either necessary or optimal for getting to a GA airport from downtown.

Based on the performance of motivated BFR students, if you can manage a good workout with an instructor once or twice a year, you should be able to maintain proficiency.

Dude you are styling. College is temporary and having the ticket makes going in and out of currency easy and painless. It is the delay gratification 'I'll fly after, college, house, grad school, kids college...' folks that end up wandering around airports as ground bound old geezers lamenting that they were just about to fly, but. Funny their wives never delayed having them get a swimming pool or new shoes...
I'm all for forward time orientation but everything has its limits.

You won't lose the skills you've acquired. Keep your head in the flying through reading (which you're obviously doing by hanging out here), and fly on your breaks. College flys by, so don't worry too much about short breaks in your flying. Focus on doing well in school and all will work out.

Good luck with both your schooling and flying.

Alright, thanks. This mostly answers it. I can keep a distance and still retain skills, interest, etc. And there certainly is a hell of a lot to learn on this forum.

I had a carfree student at GAI all the way from the start of Private to the finish of Instrument at GAI. He took his bike on Metro and rode the rest of the way. I've also used CGE, and it is an an easy walk fro the College Park Metro station. For comparison, a drive from GAI to Arlington at rush hour often takes an hour and a half.

Bottom line: a car may not be either necessary or optimal for getting to a GA airport from downtown.

Based on the performance of motivated BFR students, if you can manage a good workout with an instructor once or twice a year, you should be able to maintain proficiency.

Thank you! I wanted a crude number--twice a year with the instructor, fly when I can. Perfect guys. I feel far more confident now.

If by Georgetown you mean the one in the District, there are a bunch of us here in the area. Don't be shy about asking for a ride now and then. I've been idle for about 6 months and am about to go do an FR/IPC in February just to get back into it.

...and get on the Yahoo DC Pilots list. People are frequently looking for safety pilots.

Put up a flyer at a couple FBOs in the area saying you are will to fly right safety seat for pilots wanting hood time. You might be surprised at the calls. After I checked your license and med cert, I'd be happy to take someone up while I threw on the foggles.

Are there any rentals at College Park ? It's a short walk from the metro.

VKX can be reached by cab. Consider subscribing to zipcar.

Interesting...thought you'd need to to have more credentials than PPL to be a safety pilot

Interesting...thought you'd need to to have more credentials than PPL to be a safety pilot
It is overkill but a good rule I use is if the safety pilot can legally PIC with passengers, they can be a safety pilot. The only exception is that a safety pilot is not required to have endorsements (high performance, complex, tailwheel).

Back