leather helmets

GAZOO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GAZOO
any of you use a leather helmet? I am in the process of getting my stearman check out, I wanna "look" the part. I see nice leather helmets at aircraft spruce that use david clark headphones. I'm not a big fan of DC (nothing to do with quality or product), they don't fit my ears real well. My question is, will Zulu 2's fit in the leather helmet? I have a set of Bose, that don't fit my ears either and want to get a set of Zulu's. Would love to use them in the Stearman..... it is NOISY!!! :yes:

Epaulets? Nah! But you will need a white silk scarf to rail in the wind. :)

I owned a Stearman in the 80's and flew it 500 hours. I miss it. Wonderful airplane to fly. It had the 670 cont. Which is a little underpowered but it was a lot of fun. The helmet I used was given to me. It was a canvas helmet used by deck hands on an aircraft carrier. Unless you have a brush cut or no hair at all, the wind flapping your hair will drive you nuts. It's not for show! It's a necessity. I enjoyed the noise and never had a radio. My wife bought me an A2 leather jacket which I found to be just great on cold mornings even in the summer. ( I flew a lot at dawn which was spectacular. )I had a lot of tail wheel time before I bought it ( around 2000 hours) so the Stearman was not hard to fly except landing in a strong cross wind. I always 3 pointed it until I was very familiar with it as it will switch ends quickly unless your really tuned in. I used the same goggles I used on my motorcycle. It's a great experience. I envy you. ( mine was navy yellow, stars and bars, U.S. Navy on the side.) I think the canvas helmet is better as a leather one will fry your head in summer. I didn't fly mine in the winter. Good luck!

any of you use a leather helmet? I am in the process of getting my stearman check out, I wanna "look" the part. I see nice leather helmets at aircraft spruce that use david clark headphones. I'm not a big fan of DC (nothing to do with quality or product), they don't fit my ears real well. My question is, will Zulu 2's fit in the leather helmet? I have a set of Bose, that don't fit my ears either and want to get a set of Zulu's. Would love to use them in the Stearman..... it is NOISY!!! :yes:

Other ANR headsets won't do you much good in a Stearman. They have External ANR which won't work in those environments. Plus your microphone in those others will be pretty much useless. The best choice for you is this skull cap:
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-294043/Headset-Helmets.html cloth or leather, depending on the climate you live in.

Then put one of our Arcus ANR headsets with the Locking ANR module and the Extreme High Noise mics in it. We also use a larger ear inset in ours and large diameter gel & leather earseals, so they should fit you very nicely.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
I got a mesh helmet made to fit me and my headset from Pops leather. The make helmets with leather and sheep skin lining too for cold.

But, if the external ANR won't work then I'd try what Shane suggested for headsets and you can get a pops helmet made to order to fit over that arcus once you have the proper measurements.

Last edited:
I've had three leather helmets over ~25 years of open-cockpit flying. Current one is set up for generic headset. I use self-stick velcro dots to hold them together. I use a Flightcom Denali ANL, works fine.

Haven't got a good reliable source for helmets for us "Ordinary guys." There's a custom leather shop that advertises helmets for about $45, am going to give it a try. Think it's "Pop's Leather", out of Turkey.

Ron Wanttaja

I've had three leather helmets over ~25 years of open-cockpit flying. Current one is set up for generic headset. I use self-stick velcro dots to hold them together. I use a Flightcom Denali ANL, works fine.

Haven't got a good reliable source for helmets for us "Ordinary guys." There's a custom leather shop that advertises helmets for about $45, am going to give it a try. Think it's "Pop's Leather", out of Turkey.

Ron Wanttaja

My buddy stationed in Turkey brought back some real nice custom leather "stuff"

Yeah, pops leather is where I got my mesh helmet. Pretty simple.

Back