Least Favorite Christmas Song

Scott,

OMG, what year is that Bowie/Crosby duet? That is TOO funny!

What a silly song.

"And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas Time." :rolleyes:

Uh...No. I don't think it snows when it's in the 70's and 80's. :nonod:
I lived in the UK when that came out. It was an incredible thing to behold, the way that country came together over that song and worked raising all kinds of money for African Famine relief. Tory or liberal everyone was helping. I had never seen anything like it. The guy who started the whole thing was a former anarchist, rock singer who ended up getting knighted. A year later the movement was picked up by the US and we got USA for Africa.

Re: Least Favorite Chistmas Song

Good lord do I agree. She sounds like a chipmunk. Nothing but vibrato through the entire thing.

For me, my most hated song is Blue Christmas or Meli Kaliki Maka. Ugh.

I was thinking more like a goat rather than a chipmunk.

When I was in high school, the local radio station did a few parodies of Christmas songs. The one that sticks in my head (you know the annoying kind of 'sticks in your head' as in all day long everytime I hear the stupid song) is the parody of Come Ye Merry Gentlemen. I don't know the words at all to the real song, but the parody was titled The Restroom Door Said Gentlemen and went like this:

The restroom door said gentlemen
so I went right inside
But what I got to my surprise
was one high heel up my behind.
Now I'll never sit with comfort and joy
No I'll never sit with comfort and joy.

Most surreal Christmas song moment

That's actually a fave of mine... I think I saw it when it was first aired (Bing's Xmas special?). Any idea what song that is sung over "Drummer Boy" and who wrote it?

That's actually a fave of mine... I think I saw it when it was first aired (Bing's Xmas special?). Any idea what song that is sung over "Drummer Boy" and who wrote it?

Peace on Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_on_Earth/Little_Drummer_Boy

The track was originally recorded on 11 September 1977 for Crosby's 1977 television special, Bing Crosby's Merrie Olde Christmas. The pair exchanged dialogue about what they do for Christmas before singing the traditional song, "Little Drummer Boy", with a new counterpoint with original lyrics written for the special, "Peace on Earth". Bowie's appearance has been described as a "surreal" event, undertaken at a time that he was "actively trying to normalise his career".[2] He has since recalled that he only appeared on the show because "I just knew my mother liked him."[3] Crosby would die just over a month after recording the special, which aired on 30 November 1977.
According to co-writer Ian Fraser, Bowie balked at singing "Little Drummer Boy". "I hate this song. Is there something else I could sing?" Fraser recalls Bowie telling him. Fraser, along with songwriter Larry Grossman and the special's scriptwriter, Buz Kohan, then wrote "Peace on Earth" as a counterpoint to "Little Drummer Boy". Crosby performed "Little Drummer Boy", while Bowie sang the new tune "Peace on Earth".[1]

BowieCrosby_PeaceOnEarth.jpg

Back