Lease/Rent

jdennis1989

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jdennis1989
My instructor is buying a late 90's model Cessna 172 that he will be using only for renting not training. 180hp, auto pilot, better nav equipment than the 70's 172 he is training me in. He said he will probably sell 50ish block hours to six people for 6-7k a year(no for sure figure yet). If you were me(brand new, will have my ppl probably by next month, looking to fly just for fun with some xc trips every so often), would you say that the price is fair and fits my mission once I get my PPL? My only other options right now is his other older 172 @ $90 wet but he is usually always teaching 3-4 days a week, and a flying club near Pearland that has a lot of planes and a lot of members 40min drive away from me.

50hrs for $6K is $120 /hr wet. For a newer 172 with 180HP that's a good price.

A 172 is a 172, just a little different in engine management. The 180HP may be fuel injected instead of carb, just a little different for engine start.

Look at the contract, do you lose $$ if you don't fly off the hours? Any recomputations in hours available if the fuel cost changes either up or down?

With 6 people, it should be available for scheduling when you need/want it. How will the scheduling work?

Just thinking of some questions to ask up front.

Get out and explore the flying world beyond 172s. Come back to this when you're ready to crack out your instrument.

He said we would do an online calendar with each person getting a set number of weekend time and overnight time so that one person couldn't steal the plane all the time for trips so that it is available for all of us.

I do plan on going for my instrument rating soon, but I want to have some fun with my PPL freedom for a few months first.

My dad had a 172 and it's also what I'm training in, so your right I haven't flown anything else and I would like to try other aircrafts. It's just that my only other option right now is that club, and I don't like the 40 min. drive aspect when I have a great airport right here.

I do plan on going for my instrument rating soon, but I want to have some fun with my PPL freedom for a few months first.

Yep... Go find every crew car and airport burger joint within a few hundred miles. Use this time to be smarter. Get checked out in other airplanes. Get a tailwheel sign-off. Have fun!

Get checked out in a 152 or Cherokee,save some money and go have fun ,till your ready to start training again.

the biggest problem with renting is the restriction on overnights. 2 hour blocks of flying defeats the purpose of renting a plane to actually go somewhere other than for lunch at the nieghboring airport.

i had a lease, but i made it clear that i was to overnight the airplane whenever i got to use it. In fact, without overnights there would be no relationship.

Overnight, minimum daily charges and fuel reimbursements are all things that should be considered when choosing a place to rent. If your rental place doesn't allow overnights, it's time to find a new place to rent from.

the biggest problem with renting is the restriction on overnights. 2 hour blocks of flying defeats the purpose of renting a plane to actually go somewhere other than for lunch at the nieghboring airport.

i had a lease, but i made it clear that i was to overnight the airplane whenever i got to use it. In fact, without overnights there would be no relationship.

Dont fall into the trap of paying 6k up front.

Back