Learning to use the JPI 830 Engine monitor

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Our club has decided to install the JPI 830 engine monitor. I would like to gather up some resources for our members to use to learn this new bit of tech so we can make the most out of our purchase.

Besides the manual and videos available from JPI's website, and other videos I might find on YouTube, can PoA members recommend any other resources?

I wish that 830 would fit in the same hole as my 700. I'd swap those out! I like that 830

I wish that 830 would fit in the same hole as my 700. I'd swap those out! I like that 830
When can we schedule a flight in Ruby? I got a close up look back in October, but didn't take advantage of you giving out rides.

Read the manual. It's required to be in the plane anyhow (in any of the STC'd installations).

It's not very difficult. You just press the step button if you want to jump it to some setting before it normally sequences to it (or you don't have one of the tapes displaying it). For leaning, tap LF, it should say LOP (if we're doing LOP leaning). Back off slowly until the thing says RICHEST then continue until it says LEANEST then adjust the FF/degrees LOP you want.

The book really only is necessary if you need to change some setting (like adjusting the fuel flow K factor or whatever).

I've only had a few flights on mine since install - so still learning. The first thing I missed was when you power it up - there is a message that comes up about refueling - that's where you can quickly and easily mark it "full" - otherwise, you have to go enter the fuel manually.

I've not used their Peak Finder yet. The push this button, then lean at 1 degree per second - is a bit much at the moment (and maybe my 4th flight with the new panel) - so I've not gotten to that yet. I am still working on the KSN-770 and the rest of my stack.

I did find the videos useful. For the KSN-770 - I made flashcards/cheat sheet for functions. That helped a bit too.

Dean

Yeah, you get two bumps of "added fuel" at power up. For me I set this for 40 (mains only) and 80 (mains and aux). I actually have another aux tank of 20 that I can add seperately.

Of course, if you forget to do this at power up, it just starts bitching at you that you're about to run out of gas when it thinks you've used everything you told it about up./

Refuel
... even if you dont have Aux tanks, you can enter Aux tank value.
for me it gives me two choice when i hit refuel = yes
35 Gal >> to the tabs
48 Gal >> Full

GPS Integration
if you have this enabled (I do with 480), it will tell you things like - fuel to waypoint, endurance etc. same is show in 480 screen if configured

During run up and taxi

I hit the step button to show the EGT in Normalize mode. during run up, all EGTs should increase. last sunday i saw a sharp drop on one mag for #3 and #4. its most likely early indicator of plug fowling. it did clear up after increasing the RPM and pulling the mixture to run this hot. I am having bottom #3 and #4 plugs pulled, tested using conventional method as well as resistance test to see what the conditions are. i have those crappy Champion plugs from 2014 with about 320 hrs on them, to be replaced by tempest when required. I was under the impression that i lean aggressively during ground ops, may be i am not.

LeanFind
the manual have step by step on how to do it, do it a few times and you will exactly know what temp your ROP and Peak is (or very close). during lean find mode then you can shoot to the nearest Peak number and start leaning from there. the LeanFind will default to LOP only if you have set it to default. factory setting is ROP default on mine.

Since this will be on a 182P Skylane with a carb'd engine, I am uncertain if we can do LOP ops.

Well, I have been pondering about this for long now and this will probably start a crap storm in this thread, but I was reading on VAF forum that I can actually run LOP on carb engine if u keep little carb heat in to vaporize the fuel evenly as it enters and you can check that with the Dif function if all cylinders are about peak or not. Controversial.

I forget what the name of the poster is, but apparently people listen to him. Do a search on LOP carbureted engine, the first link on VAF has the details. I personally haven’t tried it

Well, I have been pondering about this for long now and this will probably start a crap storm in this thread, but I was reading on VAF forum that I can actually run LOP on carb engine if u keep little carb heat in to vaporize the fuel evenly as it enters and you can check that with the Dif function if all cylinders are about peak or not. Controversial.

I forget what the name of the poster is, but apparently people listen to him. Do a search on LOP carbureted engine, the first link on VAF has the details. I personally haven’t tried it
It might work for some carb'd engines. It might not work. Really wanna watch temps if running above 65% power.

The author I quoted is Walter Atkins from advanced pilot seminar.

It might work for some carb'd engines. It might not work. Really wanna watch temps if running above 65% power.

So a related Question. My cruise profile is always at or below 65% HP. If I monitor the CHT and can keep the temp at or below 380F I am not hurting the engine rt? Despite EGT in mid 1500F range?

So a related Question. My cruise profile is always at or below 65% HP. If I monitor the CHT and can keep the temp at or below 380F I am not hurting the engine rt? Despite EGT in mid 1500F range?
Something sounds funky here. Both Lycoming and Continental say that their engines cannot be damaged with the mixture control when operated below 65% power. That said I cannot imagine a EGT near 1500 F at or below 65% power on a normally aspirated engine. I'd be looking at timing really closely.

That said, yup, I'll run up to 1,550F TIT on a TSIO-360-FB. TIT usually isn't an issue for the way I run but gotta watch MP, FF, and TIT all the time with a turbo-boosted engine.

Something sounds funky here. Both Lycoming and Continental say that their engines cannot be damaged with the mixture control when operated below 65% power. That said I cannot imagine a EGT near 1500 F at or below 65% power on a normally aspirated engine. I'd be looking at timing really closely.

That said, yup, I'll run up to 1,550F TIT on a TSIO-360-FB. TIT usually isn't an issue for the way I run but gotta watch MP, FF, and TIT all the time with a turbo-boosted engine.

1520 F EGT is where I usually find my peak. Something to bug my A&P about

The 182 is back with a fresh engine and a JPI 830.

Still learning the fine points of the device. But what I do know about it after two flights, I likez itz very much.

I love my 830 in the Toga. I learned the LOP function early on and figured out where LOP and ROP were with my power settings. Once leaned I now just dial in the power setting and FF and I’m there. I’ve only had my 830 a couple years and the fuel savings alone has probably paid for most of it. Never a fouled plug and my mechanic loves my TBO engine.

I rarely touch the 830. It’s so nice to have every parameter I want displayed at all times. I set my alarms for each parameter very conservatively so a flashing LED alarm light will get my attention immediately if a CHT hits 380 (realistically this is only a concern during steep climbs). If my alternator dies... instant low voltage warning. If a cylinder isn’t firing - instant EGT diff warning. The fuel flow is incredibly accurate.

The peace of mind is priceless.

Oh and for those of you running an IO540 pa32 that are doing extended climbs over 1000 fpm... you are frying your cylinders! That written ppl test question regarding lowering the nose if the engine is too hot... totally legit!

I love my 830 in the Toga. I learned the LOP function early on and figured out where LOP and ROP were with my power settings. Once leaned I now just dial in the power setting and FF and I’m there. I’ve only had my 830 a couple years and the fuel savings alone has probably paid for most of it. Never a fouled plug and my mechanic loves my TBO engine.

I rarely touch the 830. It’s so nice to have every parameter I want displayed at all times. I set my alarms for each parameter very conservatively so a flashing LED alarm light will get my attention immediately if a CHT hits 380 (realistically this is only a concern during steep climbs). If my alternator dies... instant low voltage warning. If a cylinder isn’t firing - instant EGT diff warning. The fuel flow is incredibly accurate.

The peace of mind is priceless.

Oh and for those of you running an IO540 pa32 that are doing extended climbs over 1000 fpm... you are frying your cylinders! That written ppl test question regarding lowering the nose if the engine is too hot... totally legit!

We may need to talk. I have an 830 going into a PA32R as we speak.

100%! I do my initial climb out at 1000+ but keep it under the 5 minutes, then lower the nose to cruise climb at 500 - 600. CHT's on a couple of cylinders are over 400* during that part, but not by much.

My EGTs peak about 1500 F or so near 65% power. AEIO-360-H1B. Pretty new engine, runs very smoothly. My understanding is that EGT absolute values are somewhat installation dependent and not that useful by themselves, but the EGT relative to peak is the thing.

Back