Learning To Fly - #1. Steal Airplane

Has a student pilot license, works for the banner company, and is "allowed to fly planes when he is testing them"?

As a student I thought you needed CFI sign offs for each solo flight. In any case, this could be anything from a misunderstanding on his part to a royal drunken screw up. So far, it seems more the latter. I don't feel optimistic about him finishing up his PPL but that might be the least of his problems. I hope he has a good lawyer and a forgiving stepmother. Grand theft airplane probably comes with prison time.

My guess is stepmother who says he can fly while testing planes with out a license only declared the plane stolen and is hanging step son out to dry to protect the company.

Has a student pilot license, works for the banner company, and is "allowed to fly planes when he is testing them"?

Pretty sure the writer screwed that up. Now that I think of it, finding an article about aviation without significant errors is pretty tough.

Pretty sure the writer screwed that up. Now that I think of it, finding an article about aviation without significant errors is pretty tough.

You're probably right. Big distinction between permission to take out the plane by its owner, and authorization to fly solo under FAA rules whilst a student pilot. Anyone writing that who had clue would have clarified that. I sure hope the student pilot himself didn't mistake stepmom's permission as sufficient.

As a student I thought you needed CFI sign offs for each solo flight.

Cross country solo flights yes, but local flights no. However I always make sure I'm aware if one of mine is up for a local flight so I can check the weather, etc.

That is why you should only get your aviation news from PoA. Always completely accurate, fact checked, fair & balanced, no fake news. ;)

I find this somehow ridiculously fascinating...
The plane was normally used to fly banners over the beach, but won’t be any more because the engine is ruined, Tomalino said.

“It’s a total wreck. The engine is shot,” she said. “We might be able to use some pieces from the plane, but overall it’s a $50,000 loss.”
But then, given the author's experience...
I joined The Press in January 2016 after graduating from Penn State in December 2015. I was the sports editor for The Daily Collegian on campus which covered all 31 varsity sports and several club sports.

As a student I thought you needed CFI sign offs for each solo flight. In any case, this could be anything from a misunderstanding on his part to a royal drunken screw up. So far, it seems more the latter. I don't feel optimistic about him finishing up his PPL but that might be the least of his problems. I hope he has a good lawyer and a forgiving stepmother. Grand theft airplane probably comes with prison time.

If I remember correctly, after my third solo, I had blanket permission to take off, fly to the practice area, and land at this one airport we used to practice landings, provided that the weather was acceptable. That was a very long time ago so things may have changed.

If I remember correctly, after my third solo, I had blanket permission to take off, fly to the practice area, and land at this one airport we used to practice landings, provided that the weather was acceptable. That was a very long time ago so things may have changed.

I was given permission to fly to any of the 2 other airports we had landed at that and go to the practice area as long as I called the instructor and checked in before and after.

That requires an endorsement from your CFI and is limited to 25 NM from your base airport. Ref: FAR 61.93

I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has received the required training of FAR 61.93(b)(1). I have determined that he/she is proficient to practice solo takeoffs and landings at (airport name). The takeoffs and landings at (airport name) are subject to the following conditions: (List any applicable conditions or limitations.)
/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-15

Last edited:
That requires an endorsement from your CFI and is limited to 25 NM from your base airport. Ref: FAR 61-65G, 61.93

I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has received the required training of FAR 61.93(b)(1). I have determined that he/she is proficient to practice solo takeoffs and landings at (airport name). The takeoffs and landings at (airport name) are subject to the following conditions: (List any applicable conditions or limitations.)
/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-15

Yep, that was it.

Yeah, that airplane is a total loss, engine is shot so, ......I'll come take it off your hands, cheap. Just pay me the shipping expenses. OK?

Hey, get me a TV while your out

This weekend someone dumped a load of TVs on the side of the road. Must be 10 to 20 TVs there. All the old big TVs, the ones before flat TVs. How many you want..?? :lol::lol:

Back