Learning the Luscombe (and an introduction)

Deb - great info, thanks.

I don't know how much better or worse a Luscombe does with side load than any others, but 'alfadog' tested out some pretty good side load a couple times in his first landing video...ha ha, sorry couldn't resist. :) But he gathered it up, unlike this guy who seemed to sit and watch it happen...no aft elevator when the tail was down and no rudder correction when the tail started coming around:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-nllpyVNTk
Held up better than this Kitfox...

Deb - great info, thanks.

I don't know how much better or worse a Luscombe does with side load than any others, but 'alfadog' tested out some pretty good side load a couple times in his first landing video...ha ha, sorry couldn't resist. :) But he gathered it up, unlike this guy who seemed to sit and watch it happen...no aft elevator when the tail was down and no rudder correction when the tail started coming around:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-nllpyVNTk

That was painful to watch. That gear held up pretty good. When I get home and can see it on the big screen, I want to see if it's the standard or silflex gear.

I saw a Luscombe land at the Thomasville Fly-In and squall a tire. The sound curddled my blood. That gear held up, too. I think, however, the pilot made have needed clean drawers.

Deb

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

I feel so much better about my landings after watching those.

:)

Deb

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

I watched the videos after reading the comments and I expected more exciting deviations than I saw. I think you're doing fine. I have three comments to add:

First, thanks for having a video camera that doesn't turn the propeller into a scimitar, and thanks for leaving off the music track.

Second, In watching the hand propping video, I would have liked to see you allow the prop come to a complete stop before reaching for it, even with the switch off.

Third, I don't know what your Luscombe owning friend likes to drink, but you should be buying him a nice supply. The Luscombe is an excellent trainer, but I wouldn't rent or loan mine for a tailwheel endorsement. Bravo to the good friend.

Scott

I watched the videos after reading the comments and I expected more exciting deviations than I saw. I think you're doing fine. I have three comments to add:

First, thanks for having a video camera that doesn't turn the propeller into a scimitar, and thanks for leaving off the music track.

Second, In watching the hand propping video, I would have liked to see you allow the prop come to a complete stop before reaching for it, even with the switch off.

Third, I don't know what your Luscombe owning friend likes to drink, but you should be buying him a nice supply. The Luscombe is an excellent trainer, but I wouldn't rent or loan mine for a tailwheel endorsement. Bravo to the good friend.

Scott

Thanks. You are right on all counts. I usually hate dislike it when people feel the need to add music to what would otherwise be a thoroughly enjoyable video (hate is too strong a word). I do make an exception for the below, one of my favorite videos. The OP removed it but luckily it was saved (though not in HD as was originally available).

Crank it up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpA3ORYlgGs

I do need to find out what my friend drinks. We have an "arrangement" but this goes above and beyond.

Sorry, Roscoe, I wasn't referring to your post. I should have made that clear. Please forgive me. It has been my experience that most folks think all little vintage airplanes fly like a Cub.

The biggest difference I have found I'd that my 8E is hard to slow on final. Drop the nose a tad and I'm screaming at 90 mph. Pull back too far and I'm stalled. It is not an airplane that you can pull the stick to your gut all the way down on final. My stick doesn't come all the way back until my wheels are about inch off the ground.

Every time I have my flight review, my instructor, who has zillions of hours in everything, wants to pull the stick back too far too soon. I always end up screaming at him that it ain't a Cub!

He has a hard time slowing it down as well. I've shown him that our old friend, the slip, pegs the nose perfectly on 70 mph. I do wish I could trim my airplane for hands off for final. It is a characteristic of the 8E and her lard nose to need pressure all the way down.

That said Henry's lighter 8A trims well for final.

As for wheel landings we don't adjust our speed. If you want to three point pull the stick back. Lester runs out of speed and plops down. If I want to wheel land, keep the stick just shy of neutral until the wheels touch and pin it with a little forward stick. Increase forward stick until the tail touches. In mine, this means complete forward stick to the stops. Then pull back gently to pin it. I have rolled to a complete stop with the tail still up and full forward stick.

If the airplane, like all TWs, lands straight with the direction of travel there are no issues. The Luscombe gear does not handle side load well.

However, as the Luscombe slows is where the issues happen. My airplane can feel awful at that point. Most passengers think the landing is over and start chatting, but in reality it has just begun. I think this where most folks get into trouble. They start over controlling and make the situation worse. Using the brakes at this time is risky. If the pressure on the brake(s) is not steady, flipping is a good possibility. Most Luscombe owners don't use them at all. I have seen several flipped.

This is where I have read some really bad Internet stuff. Not all two-seat vintage airplanes are STOL with a jacked up engine capable of leaping a tall building in a single bound. I can't land on a dime and stomp the brakes. I don't have flaps to help me slow, but a good slip gets the job done most times. I only climb about 1000 fpm but I can easily cruise at 115 mph.

Not sure if I answered your question, but it has been a pleasant change to have some one to talk Luscombe with. Seldom happens on a non type specific forum.

Deb

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

Deb, Lester sounds like my Super Cub. It is a tad nose heavy with single pilot and less than half tanks. It trims fine but if you don't flare just perfect it will touch on the mains first and then bounce the tailwheel wich leads to a couple of small bounces back and forth between the mains and tail. When I fly it solo i try and remember to throw some weight in the baggage compartment but hey I'm old and forgetful so I usually wheel land it. It three points great with two in it. The Luscombe I flew was a ragwing 8A and it didn't have any bad quirks. Pilots get too complacent and land the same way every time instead of mixing it up. The N3N in my avatar wheel lands beautifully but it is really hard to get a perfect three point. I force myself to three point most of the time just because it takes more work to get it right. One thing I notice is that a lot of tailwheel pilots and pilots in general fly final way too fast resulting in poor landings. 1.3 vso is plenty. Don

This is where I have read some really bad Internet stuff. Not all two-seat vintage airplanes are STOL with a jacked up engine capable of leaping a tall building in a single bound. I can't land on a dime and stomp the brakes. I don't have flaps to help me slow, but a good slip gets the job done most times. I only climb about 1000 fpm but I can easily cruise at 115 mph.

Precisely.

I can land on a dime (as long as its 400' long).

;)

Takeoff -- maybe 600' to get airborne but push that 50' obstacle back a bit, please...

That was painful to watch. That gear held up pretty good. When I get home and can see it on the big screen, I want to see if it's the standard or silflex gear.

Deb

Boy, that guy just quit flying the airplane and let the airplane do what it wanted. Notice the rudder and aileron position. Little if any correction after he touched down. Also, notice the rudder position after he left the runway - he's actually got pro-groundloop rudder applied.

Lucky he didn't hurt the airplane.

John, I enjoyed your videos!

What kind of camera do you use?

John, I enjoyed your videos!

What kind of camera do you use?

Thanks. I use a Canon FS200. I like it but it is not HD, that is the worst aspect. I also need to figure out how use it in fixed focus mode as the autofocus seems to get confused with the movement and vibration. I use a clamping mount that I clamp to the front carry-through spar (my friend, the owner, just taught me what that is called). I also have a suction mount that works well but that is in my Arrow at a different airfield.

Last edited:
Thank you for the videos and for reminding me how much I like Luscombes. Since my first ride in one when I was 8. When so many young or inexperienced pilots are chomping at the bit to fly really expensive, complex airplanes with lots of gadgets - ostensibly to provide the challenge necessary to make them better pilots...and going broke in the process, the humble 65hp Luscombe will challenge them to develop skills they will never learn in a fancy-pants retractable with a glass panel. And they're very inexpensive to fly and maintain.

Thank you for the videos and for reminding me how much I like Luscombes. Since my first ride in one when I was 8. When so many young or inexperienced pilots are chomping at the bit to fly really expensive, complex airplanes with lots of gadgets - ostensibly to provide the challenge necessary to make them better pilots...and going broke in the process, the humble 65hp Luscombe will challenge them to develop skills they will never learn in a fancy-pants retractable with a glass panel. And they're very inexpensive to fly and maintain.

Couldn't have said that better myself. Don

Thanks. My funds are limited and I am trying to do a lot flying-wise - recently bought an Arrow and still paying the short-term note and trying to get all my ratings by the summer.

But I made flying the Luscombe a priority when the opportunity presented itself. Between the CFI for the rating, gas, and my arrangement to help the owner out with expenses, about $2500 so far for 40 hours. I could have finished my IR and been well into my ME for that but I knew that my stick and rudder needed help. My last prior crosswind landing with my IR instructor in the 172 ended with him asking, "what was that?"

And I am so glad I did it! Beside the permagrin aspects at times (and butt-clench at times, too), I am really seeing the difference in my flying. I am looking outside 98% of the time, I am making sure the nose tracks in the turns, I know how to default to that most basic navigation instrument, the magnetic compass. And more.

Thanks for watching the videos and for all the comments.

Last edited:
And I am so glad I did it! Beside the permagrin aspects at time (and butt-clench at times, too), I am really seeing the difference in my flying. I am lookng outside 98% of the time, I am making sure the nose tracks in the turns, I know how to default to that most basic navigation instrument, the magnetic compass. And more.

You very nicely summarized the value of Tailwheel time!!!

Thanks. My funds are limited and I am trying to do a lot flying-wise - recently bought an Arrow and still paying the short-term note and trying to get all my ratings by the summer.

But I made flying the Luscombe a priority when the opportunity presented itself. Between the CFI for the rating, gas, and my arrangement to help the owner out with expenses, about $2500 so far for 40 hours. I could have finished my IR and been well into my ME for that but I knew that my stick and rudder needed help. My last prior crosswind landing with my IR instructor in the 172 ended with him asking, "what was that?"

And I am so glad I did it! Beside the permagrin aspects at times (and butt-clench at times, too), I am really seeing the difference in my flying. I am looking outside 98% of the time, I am making sure the nose tracks in the turns, I know how to default to that most basic navigation instrument, the magnetic compass. And more.

Thanks for watching the videos and for all the comments.

You do us Luscombe owners proud. :)

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

Back