Learning Styles- Do they change for Flight Training

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Hey, I've got an XYZ learning style...or do I? Are students the same in the air as they are on the ground?

I've heard it said: an airplane is the worst classroom man ever invented. What do you think?

I've heard it said: an airplane is the worst classroom man ever invented. What do you think?

Hi.
For certain matters that can best be learned on the ground, it can be, but if one is motivated and ready to learn it can be done every / any where.
If you try to feed a first time learner information in flight, when hundreds of thing are going on in his /her mind you are not likely to get them to absorb much.
Best thing is start slowly and make sure that everything you can learn outside the plane is done outside, on the ground, too many things going on when you first try to fly a plane, most of the time without the individual that does it does not know about it.

What is an XYZ learning style?

The reverse of a ZYX learning style and the opposite of an ABC learning style.

To the OP, flight training is pretty open to being catered to all types of learning styles. There are almost countless books and videos available if your "normal" learning style is through reading or audio, and kinetic learning styles will thrive in the hands-on environment of an airplane once they get over the initial firehose stage. In my opinion, the airplane is only the worst class man invented in the sense that you can't pause the airplane's flight in mid-air to allow the student to catch up, re-explain something, or for a new concept to click.

It’s not unusual for people to prefer one method when learning knowledge and another method when applying that knowledge to develop a skill or ability.

You read/listen/watch all you want about uncoordinated turns. But the first time you slip or skid and feel what an uncoordinated turn is is when that knowledge has transferred to learning.

We have a new CFI where I work. Yesterday I observed him spending an hour going over an early lesson about traffic patterns and landings with a student who has about 10-12 hours.

That's what we call "drinking from a fire hose." There was no way she would be able to retain much of that information.

Hey, I've got an XYZ learning style...or do I? Are students the same in the air as they are on the ground?

They are both teaching environments. You learn on the ground and practice in the air. Learning the basic concepts of aeronautics, regulations etc.. with the propeller running is a waste of time and money. Similarly, discussing how to do stalls, landings etc.. with powerpoint slides is also a waste of time.

I'd say that an airplane is the best classroom ever devised. You often can't hear the instructor very well, and you don't need amphetamines to stay awake.

Good question. I don’t think so. How you learn is how you learn. It’s a LOT of stuff, but no doubt heavy on the monkey skills. You may learn monkey skills differently than you learn academic things… but monkey skills is monkey skills.

I have made a correlation that equipment operators pick up flying monkey skills pretty quickly and easily…. I have made a correlation high time pilots pick up radio control flying monkey skills rather slowly. As a rule.

Good news and bad news…. In the private sector you get your choice of instructors, in the military you do NOT. Me being an amazing Navy pilot merely indicates I’m AMAZING at learning to fly HOW THEY WANNA TEACH IT. That’s it.

Large airline training is flatly easy. Small airline training is somewhat customizable… so they are in the middle.

Does this help to answer your question, at least how I understand it (and through my eyes)?

My take on the cockpit as a classroom is that it (like most equipment operation) provides tangible and effective feedback IMMEDIATELY. I prefer teaching inflight over in the classroom. As an instructor, watching THAT light bulb go on is great! Very rewarding.

There are so many facets in learning to fly. The physical act of flying is an eye/hand/muscle-memory exercise. Then there is the application of theoretical aspects to the physical aspect. Add in developing 3-D spatial awareness. Finally, there is the applied regulatory/knowledge-base aspect (chart reading, currency requirements, airspace restrictions, maintenance procedures, radio communication). My sense is that each learning style does better in one phase & struggles in another.

I am, for instance, a very good book learner. But I don’t like formal how-to coaching while hands-on in the cockpit. I prefer to figure it out on my own, within limits, with the instructor there to keep me from bending the bird. The one thing I can’t abide is a constant stream of chatter & coaching in my headset as I’m trying to link-up theory with practice.

As far as I’m concerned, headsets & intercoms are the worst invention in flight instruction in decades. They result in steam-of-consciousness instructing that impede (my) learning. On the ground or downwind are the time to critique my technique verbally.

In flight, point at the airspeed if my speed needs attention, the whiskey compass if my nose is wandering in slowflight, or bump the yoke if my angle of attack is too great. A left or right finger in my peripheral vision works when I’m not lined up with the runway. Otherwise, shut up.

But that’s just my style.

My flight training proceeded just like my other physical skills training--book study to prime the pump, learn by doing. My CFI caught on almost immediately, and basically let me make all the mistakes with appropriate commentary. He was there to ensure I didn't kill us, and once I reached a certain level of competency he rarely took over. I did, occasionally, I feel/see him nudge the yoke/rudder.

When I was learning to fly T-37s, I once said to my IP, Lt. Paul Sims, that maybe some day I would like to become an instructor pilot. I always remember his response: "Are you crazy? Every day I let you guys take me up there and try to kill us, and it's my job to save our asses at the last moment."

When your student is scared crapless because they are encountering something new (from 1500' in the air) then their style will certainly change.

We have a new CFI where I work. Yesterday I observed him spending an hour going over an early lesson about traffic patterns and landings with a student who has about 10-12 hours.

That's what we call "drinking from a fire hose." There was no way she would be able to retain much of that information.

Say what now? An hour ground lesson for a 10-12 hour pilot is drinking from a fire hose?

Despite what the video purports, we all synthesize all the input (manual skills, book learning, verbal instruction, and personal experience) differently.

Want to know when I’ll know you are a truly educated person…in this case aviator?

That happens when each subject stops being it’s own individual constellations of knowledge and become your universe of understanding. Whether it’s formal education, a trade, or flying, when you’re able to synthesize all your knowledge and skills into a unified whole that passes information and skills back and forth across compartments of information, then you’ve become an educated individual.

Getting to that unifying “click” is uniquely different journey for each person.

I think it depends on how far you want to drill down, but I don't think learning styles change that much. A quick search for the phrase gave me this definition which fits my own.

A learning style is the way that different students learn. A style of learning refers to an individual’s preferred way to absorb, process, comprehend and retain information. The four key learning styles are: visual, auditory, tactile and kinaesthetic.​

To the extent that things are different in the air than on the ground, I'd say it's because those four keys (and any other set you might find) get different emphasis when learning a motor skill like flying an airplane or hitting a golf ball than they do learning the FARs.

My best learning style is: at gun point.

During Vietnam, at Friday formation in Morse Code school, instructors would callout the soldiers who had missed their code speed 2 weeks in a row. Then the code school instructors would strip the failing students of their headsets, issue them a steel pot, & march them to the infantry battalion down the road to ship out for Basic Infantry School.

First time I saw that it lit a fire under me. I graduated at the top of my class at 30 WPM.

As a (paused currently) student, my first CFI was perfect for me. We spent around 30 - 60 min. before the flight lesson going through what we would be doing. He used a syllabus book, wrote on the whiteboard, went in depth on the days lesson and then we flew and had a debrief.

Unfortunately he wasn’t able to continue as he got a job flying that he couldn’t pass up. Ended up flying with an excellent older CFI (who does acro also) who I like a lot except his teaching style. He just seems to rush to get us up in the air. If he briefs on the days lesson, he races through it. No whiteboard, or real discussion.

He also seems to at times seem like he thinks I am more experienced than I am, and alternately less than I am.

Typically we barely discuss what we will be doing, get to the airworks area, and he will then drill on maneuvers.

He also is the head of the flight school part of the flight club. I know what I have to do, as soon as I am healthy and ready to continue I am going to ask him if any other instructors there were a better fit because I thrive best with information first. I am not looking forward to the conversation. Also I sometimes think, he has taught many pilots and feel like maybe I should just go along and do it his way but it does frustrate me.

Hi everyone, I’m currently at the beginning of my journey and going through Kings ground school. I will not start flying until mid June and only at chapter 2 out of 10 in GS. I must admit I find learning about controlling the airplane from bullet points daunting (without stepping into the actual airplane). It seems like I’m taking a lot of time trying to learn this and score good on preps without much success - should I not worry this much and maybe move on to other chapters? Has anyone had a similar experience? I feel overwhelmed and perhaps I am trying to over-prepare myself but it all feels very discouraging. A bit of background, reason why I will start flying in June is that I’m currently in Europe and only going to the US in June, I initially planned to get over with the gs and prepare myself for the written but it’s all just going so slow - even tho I put a few hours a day. I have read a lot of opinions to do just that, get the written done before putting the actual flying hours but at this stage it seems almost impossible to me. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, I’m currently at the beginning of my journey and going through Kings ground school. I will not start flying until mid June and only at chapter 2 out of 10 in GS. I must admit I find learning about controlling the airplane from bullet points daunting (without stepping into the actual airplane). It seems like I’m taking a lot of time trying to learn this and score good on preps without much success - should I not worry this much and maybe move on to other chapters? Has anyone had a similar experience? I feel overwhelmed and perhaps I am trying to over-prepare myself but it all feels very discouraging. A bit of background, reason why I will start flying in June is that I’m currently in Europe and only going to the US in June, I initially planned to get over with the gs and prepare myself for the written but it’s all just going so slow - even tho I put a few hours a day. I have read a lot of opinions to do just that, get the written done before putting the actual flying hours but at this stage it seems almost impossible to me. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I studied for my written using the PHAK and AFH while I saved up for flight lessons, but I didn't expect to fully understand most of it until later. The first time I read through them, I felt like I understood absolutely nothing. I read through them again, and that's when stuff started to make a little sense. I don't know if you can do that with King courses, but I would suggest going through everything twice if possible. And watch lots of good aviation content on Youtube. You may be able to start to grasp some things if you see it.

Some people will struggle with understanding ground school information before they fly. It can be very hard to correlate the information to stuff you already know because a lot of it is brand new. I wouldn't stress too much about not understanding some ground school topics. Unless you're doing an accelerated course, you don't have to take the written before you start lessons, and easing up on the pressure may help you as well.

I think people who're strong "kinaesthetic" learners will tend to have a better time of it in the early stages of pilot training than those that depend on book learning to grasp the basic concepts of flight.

Back