Learning Forward Slip Landings

I used to love to slip, aiming toward the threshold, always, and coming in crazy steep as you can do with a 172 cranked sideways. It's like "flaps 40" but you can undo it instantly. With practice, you can leave the straightening up until later and later. We usually tried to land very close to the threshold, as to make the reverse turnoff at our airport, to save two miles of taxiing.

Funny calling a 172 slip crazy steep. o_O A lowly Cherokee with full flaps and no slip comes in quite a bit steeper than a 172 w/ full flaps and the rudder to the floor.

Static port is on the left side (I think, verify this).
Cessna 120 had the static port on the left just in front of the door - you could get the air speed to read just about zero in a pedal to the floor left slip.

I used to love to slip, aiming toward the threshold, always, and coming in crazy steep as you can do with a 172 cranked sideways. It's like "flaps 40" but you can undo it instantly. With practice, you can leave the straightening up until later and later. We usually tried to land very close to the threshold, as to make the reverse turnoff at our airport, to save two miles of taxiing.

...”...like flaps 40...” Do a foot to the floor slip with 40. That gonna git ya down. It ain’t no thang on 1972 and later 172’s. Before that it could give you the sudden pitch down

Back