Learned something new from my flight physical(update)

This thread is the story of my life. Don't count out enlisted aircrew jobs. Lots of airframes don't move without them, and they are every bit as important as the pilots they fly with. It's a standard briefing point in my aircraft that if we have an emergency, my pilots want confirmation and the recommendations as they execute the checklist. Total team effort from the time the chocks are pulled until I throw them back in front of the wheels. Oh, did I mention shooting mini-guns are cool?

This thread is the story of my life. Don't count out enlisted aircrew jobs. Lots of airframes don't move without them, and they are every bit as important as the pilots they fly with. It's a standard briefing point in my aircraft that if we have an emergency, my pilots want confirmation and the recommendations as they execute the checklist. Total team effort from the time the chocks are pulled until I throw them back in front of the wheels. Oh, did I mention shooting mini-guns are cool?

Where the heck have you been man? Secret squirrel crap I bet. ;)

Been lurkin'! No more secret squirrel stuff for this guy, I'm retired! Still have my foot in the door though for post retirement work as an instructor. Life is good!

How you been?

Been lurkin'! No more secret squirrel stuff for this guy, I'm retired! Still have my foot in the door though for post retirement work as an instructor. Life is good!
emoji3.png

How you been?

Oh, still an ambulance driver in the sky. Gives me plenty of down time to give poor career advice on POA. :D

yeah this sucks for the OP. Got leg-swept from a multi-million dollar RPA career because of some non-standarized CCT mickey mouse test on a best buy laptop, in a regular office room with the most uncalibrated lighting environment imaginable. It's ridiculous. You guys should see how amateurish these setups are, and they're ruining careers with this thing before they're even started.

We can't keep RPAs staffed to save our life and the pilots universally hate the damn assignment. If I were king, people would be getting waivers for missing fingers, to go push buttons at the RPA as long at they can demonstrate ability with their toes :D

Just so the OP understands the history of this boondoggle: the USAF got it in their head that people were supposedly memorizing those dated colorblind bubbles-mosaic number booklets, so they paid too much (government standard) to buy the letters-on-the-laptop-screen flash n click thing the OP got hooked by. In the days of the book, they didn't even test for the blue spectrum, since it's the green and red that are of concern for the military. Well, there I was in the middle of T-38 IP school, tired as hell double turning since o-dark thirty, and decide to go in for my flight physical (because God forbid those shoes stay in past 1500, never mind I land at 1800 plus another 2 hours debrief, you know some of us work for a living). Sit down in front of that stupid monitor and they come back and tell me I'm "slightly blue colorblind, one eye only". 8 years in mind you. So flight doc says its an auto waiver for blue (since it isn't needed) and what have you, I'm like ok you do what you need to do. Come back rested the next morning to pick up my referral paperwork to the optometrist and I tell the flight doc, "hey give me a hack at that machine again". Wouldn't you know it, passed it. Paperwork shredded, medical form issued, see ya next year. What a clusterf....

So these days I prep for the thing at home before going in, and I've figured out ways to cycle my eyeball in a diamond pattern around the place where the letter sits so my peripheral vision gives me "flash glances" at the coloration, allowing me to guess it before it cycles. If you aint cheating you ain't trying.

Moral of the story? It's all smoke and mirrors, but life and ain't fair and it's all about timing and luck. I tell you what I would do if I was in the OPs shoes. I'd tell the AF to flock themselves, and go rub elbows with the ARMY WOFT guys, if they won't take ya on the commissioned side. Get some helo stink on ya, and weasel your way into fixed wing aviation via the fixed wing qual program in the AF. ARMY Guard would be the perfect setup for that. Great experience, a hell of a lot more combat street cred as an Army guy than a zoomie (and I say that as a current T-38 instructor, T-6 instructor and B-52 Aircraft Commander in a prior life), plus I have close friends of mine who did exactly just that: army scout to army helo school, to silver wings in the air force via fixed wing qual with the AF Reserve (my branch). And flying -60s for your troubles beats RPAs imo, any day. Good luck. Where there's a will there's a way.

A shoeclerk stint in the Air Force, though temporarily more lucrative, will simply get in the way of the backup plan of time building as a civilian. So if no military flying is available to you, and the RPA is out, then I'd simply take that offer of cheap training financing and get through the time building slog. Buy yourself a little cherokee 140 and fly my friend. Beats the desk life if that's what you want to do.

This - I went in for my annual hearing test last Friday at the clinic located on the flight line. Get in the "soundproof" box, take the test (mind you I can hear the H-60 ground running outside amid the beeps and tones) and am told I need further testing because my baseline has shifted. Well no $**/! Call me crazy! Now I know why old guys are grumpy...

Flight medicine works for the Taliban I'm convinced. Bunch of sleeper cell mother.... :D

I always assumed it was for the light gun signal from the tower when comms fail

Even that could (should?) be modified to account for color blindness. They could vary the number and pattern of light flashes and color blindness would largely become a non issue.

This - I went in for my annual hearing test last Friday at the clinic located on the flight line. Get in the "soundproof" box, take the test (mind you I can hear the H-60 ground running outside amid the beeps and tones) and am told I need further testing because my baseline has shifted. Well no $**/! Call me crazy! Now I know why old guys are grumpy...

RPGs to the ramp can cause tinnitus and hearing loss.:eek:

Saw that one yesterday. Pretty lucky they took the hit where they did. 3-4 feet higher in the side of the fuselage and they'd have had problems. Im not sure I'd hear that over the tinnitus I have already!

Saw that one yesterday. Pretty lucky they took the hit where they did. 3-4 feet higher in the side of the fuselage and they'd have had problems. Im not sure I'd hear that over the tinnitus I have already!

Happened just prior to our rotation. One of our 47s took one in the ramp as well with far worse results. Went on to fly later though.

We're gonna have to sit down over a beverage(s) some time and trade stories!

This was my career field in the USAF. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend it if you have any intention of staying in for a career. PM me for details if you like (I think I am fair and reasonable in my opinion!)
I retired as an airfield ops officer in 2008. While you'll never wear a star, and the opportunity for O-6 is limited (though I've known a number of them), I found it to be an interesting, aviation-related career.

My comments in italics:

"... Heres a list of what I'm qualified on paper for (who knows if they are hiring for those jobs atm)
14N1 Intelligence - fun or boring, not much real intel filters down to the unit level unless you are 'special'
21A1 Aircraft Maintenance - a pretty important job
21M1 Munitions & Missile Maintenance - dunno
21R1 Logistics Readiness - dunno
31P1 Security Forces - Not much crime on a USAF base
Special Investigations - you don't have to wear a military uniform, or at least , you uniform is birth control glasses, black oxfords, Men's Warehouse suit
35P1 Public Affairs - Only if this is your favorite book.
38P1 Personnel - NO FUTURE
Nuclear and Missile Operations - DUNNO, DOESN'T SOUND FUN
Air Field Operations - Aviation related, some civilian potential, you won't become a General.

I will say that if you go in non-rated and do well, your unit Commander can help you get a waiver that a civilian applicant could not receive.

Also, if possible marry the offspring of a Congress person or General Officer. That's never hurts!

It seems like the standard answer to medical questions from this Board is to contact Dr. Bruce Chien either on the AOPA Board or at www.aeromedical.doc.

Dr. Bruce is slightly colorblind (if memory serves) and was a pilot in P3 Orions. So he is very likely to have helpful advice.

If Dr Bruce can't get you passed then yes it is a bummer. But he would be my first call in your situation.

-Skip
He is not having problems with the FAA medical, he has passed those.
The problem is passing a much more stringent military flight physical for entrance into a flight training program.

Dr. Bruce may be good, but I don't believe he is that good.

Well I finally made a decision decided to go for a non rated spot typed up some preferences and sent them to recruiter. He said they needed a letter of acceptance for the non rated so I typed, signed and sent one. Two hours later get a call found out I got my first choice of intelligence officer and a class date of July 7th.

Kind of funny 2 years ago when I first walked into the recruiters office it was to see what it would take to be an intelligence officer. He said unless you have a stem degree with a 3.5+ gpa your not even getting in as a non rated officer but you can try rated since its not as competitive. Did that took flying lessons flew the wings off for a year, went up for my last rated board chance, got accepted for RPA, then this medical thing happened, and now I'm in what I initially wanted to do 2 years ago.

Knowing my luck I'll now promptly get stuck in alaska :D (prays for Hickam)
Hopefully I make it through OTS and training fine. Might have just made a 4 year mistake but I feel optimistic. If I hate it theres still 35+ years I can sink into an attempted aviation career and at least I'll learn a skill beyond how to sell coca cola.

Intel ain't bad man. I think you'll like it. It's something I thought about on the enlisted side. All the Intel officers I worked with were pretty squared away.

If it turns out it's not your thing, try and reclass. At the very least, you'll have a decent, steady pay check with good benefits...while you're stationed at Elmendorf, AK. :D

If it turns out it's not your thing, try and reclass. At the very least, you'll have a decent, steady pay check with good benefits...while you're stationed at Elmendorf, AK. :D

Look at all the money he will save there...

Look at all the money he will save there...

Well I bet BAH & COLA are prime there. He could pocket a nice bit of change if he watches his money.

Ha your story sounds like my 4th grade school physical where they found out i had a pretty good case of red green color deficiency (I get about 1/3 of the way through the ishihara book). Doc said it wasn't a big deal, since the only thing it would keep me from was becoming a pilot. Needless to say I was NOT amused seeing that I still haven't grown out of the phase where everyone wants to be a pilot :) Passed my 3rd class SODA test, but I wish I had upgraded that to a first class SODA back before that FedEx crash. These days it's pretty difficult to get the FAA waiver, and worst of all it is one of those one and done type tests.

Well I bet BAH & COLA are prime there. He could pocket a nice bit of change if he watches his money.
Oh yeah I'm big on saving. Bout to spend 8 grand and pay off my wifes school loans then I'll be 100% debt free. The goal monthly is to live comfortably off 1000+-(food, gas, insurance and w/e the wife needs), have BAH cover all my living expenses, put 500 a month into my 401k . I guess the other 1400 will split into savings/checking.
Base salary is more than I make now much less the 1200+- for housing. Or the jump at 2 and 4 years... Trying not to count my chickens before they hatch though cause if something can go wrong i'm sure it will.

Well I finally made a decision decided to go for a non rated spot typed up some preferences and sent them to recruiter. He said they needed a letter of acceptance for the non rated so I typed, signed and sent one. Two hours later get a call found out I got my first choice of intelligence officer and a class date of July 7th.

Kind of funny 2 years ago when I first walked into the recruiters office it was to see what it would take to be an intelligence officer. He said unless you have a stem degree with a 3.5+ gpa your not even getting in as a non rated officer but you can try rated since its not as competitive. Did that took flying lessons flew the wings off for a year, went up for my last rated board chance, got accepted for RPA, then this medical thing happened, and now I'm in what I initially wanted to do 2 years ago.

Knowing my luck I'll now promptly get stuck in alaska :D (prays for Hickam)
Hopefully I make it through OTS and training fine. Might have just made a 4 year mistake but I feel optimistic. If I hate it theres still 35+ years I can sink into an attempted aviation career and at least I'll learn a skill beyond how to sell coca cola.

Thank you for your decision and your soon-to-be service.

Rich

Base salary is more than I make now much less the 1200+- for housing. Or the jump at 2 and 4 years... Trying not to count my chickens before they hatch though cause if something can go wrong i'm sure it will.

In 1985 as a new 2LT I was bringing home about $1200/month including BAH! :D

Google "little dieter needs to fly" and read about dieter. He really wanted to fly bad and did so. Don't let anyone tell you a commission is not a good thing . " if you ain't lead dog, the scenery always the same". Especially true in the military.

Back