Learned something new about the WINGS program

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I learned something new about the WINGS program today.

I'd completed the three flight syllabi for the WINGS basic phase back in June, and had completed all the knowledge credits before hand. So I figured my flight review would expire in June of 2010. But as I kept doing safety stuff, my flight review date and phase completion date kept changing, moving forward. So here's what I learned:

WINGS credits are good for a year.
Your phase expires two years from the LAST day of the month when you had all the necessary credits active. This can effectively mean a 3 year period for credit for the flight review.

I got credit for my ground instructor certification on 12/31/2008 (Thanks PJ) and that brought my knowledge credits up to then. Since I had current knowledge and flight credits on 12/31/2008, my flight review is next due on 12/31/2010. As long as I replace the credits as they expire (after one year), my flight review date keeps moving forward until one of my flight credits expires. So as long as I complete a ground credit in June 2009 my flight review will reset to June 2011.

So the concept of periodic knowledge and flight training really does pay off with WINGS, as your flight review date keeps moving forward automatically as you take training. If you schedule three flights a year with a CFI and take three online/in-person classes a year, you can essentially keep your flight review evergreen.

From what I have heard, participation in the "Wings" program may help a pilot should they find themselves having to "call this number when you land!"

I was digging through a bunch of my FIRC, USPA and Pan Am "diplomas" tonight and suddenly it dawned on me that I should take a moment to recognize that I have aviation related accomplishments! Heck yeah!

I learned something about the new Wings program too. I know this might not apply to very many people here, but you can get credit for the basic and advanced levels through completion of the Part 135 competency check and credit for the master level through completion of the Part 135 instrument proficiency check. So really there is nothing else that you need to do except figure out how to navigate through the site up to the point where you ask for validation of your credits (in our case by the chief pilot).

I also learned that I am either very dense or the site is not user-friendly. It took me quite awhile to figure out how to apply for credit using the icon with the red arrow and the balls (what's that supposed to represent anyway?). I can see how people get frustrated and give up. I probably would have too if it had not been strongly suggested that we sign up for it.

FAASafety.gov is not the most user-friendly but it has a boat-load of information and knowledge to be found.

I learned something about the new Wings program too. I know this might not apply to very many people here, but you can get credit for the basic and advanced levels through completion of the Part 135 competency check and credit for the master level through completion of the Part 135 instrument proficiency check. So really there is nothing else that you need to do except figure out how to navigate through the site up to the point where you ask for validation of your credits (in our case by the chief pilot).

I also learned that I am either very dense or the site is not user-friendly. It took me quite awhile to figure out how to apply for credit using the icon with the red arrow and the balls (what's that supposed to represent anyway?). I can see how people get frustrated and give up. I probably would have too if it had not been strongly suggested that we sign up for it.

The "red arrow and the balls" is supposed to be a red arrow and binoculars, indicating it's for searching. I agree the site isn't that user-friendly.

Back