Learned about wake turbulence the hard way

Maybe an extra touch and go would help some people with their landings rather than bailing because a turbine shows up.

How exactly is that related in anyway to what @idahoflier said?

He was lauding the use of actual dangerous circumstances for training purposes, something I deplore.

Clearly, as a PPL that has crashed an airplane - you think you're superior to experienced flight instructors. This is why wake turbulence procedures exist, so you can operate safely. Running away from an airport where a larger aircraft landed is not feasible for any student scheduling, or frankly any aviation operation.

Wake turbulence avoidance can easily be taught in the absence of the real thing, since once in the presence of there real thing you are in actual jeopardy from which you might not survive. Training doesn't help anyone if you die from it. I'd go to another airport, or hang it up for the day. Flying is dangerous enough as it is.

*sigh*

Just because the way you would do things makes you think they are dangerous, does not make it so. Yeah, maybe the way you would do them is, maybe the way someone else would do them isn't. That's not just for aviation though, that goes for driving, riding, woodworking, electrical work, etc...

But if it's dangerous for you, it probably is. For others, maybe not.

One of the airports I fly out of has frequent Apache ops. I stay the heck away from them, and communicate specifically to understand exactly what they are doing. Never had to divert but I am always prepared to execute a diversion to give them all the space they need. The pilots are always communicative which I appreciate.
Yeah. Besides rotor wash and wake turbulence, those guys have guns:goofy:

One time in Alaska a CH-47 crossed the runway in front of me without talking on the radio. In very SVFR conditions. While I was on very short final, actually while I was crossing the threshold at less than 50 agl.

I have done some rodeo riding, and that was the wildest rodeo I have ever been in.

Everyone that saw the incident, including myself, was actually surprised I did not crash.

It kind of scares me that you put full aileron input in to level the wings at such a slow airspeed. I am hoping that rudder pedal was on the floor first.

But obviously all is well.

CH-47 wake is nasty. I wouldn’t want to fly through it in a light airplane.

One night I was operating out of Cairns AAF doing NVG pattern work with a student when a CH-47 showed up. We were on right downwind when the CH-47 entered a left base in front of us. The wind made him over shoot towards us and he was slightly high. My student turned a normal base maybe a 1/4 mile behind him. I knew we were going to get a thump out of it. Sure enough, just when I thought his wake would hit, baaam! Student was like “what the **** was that!?” I laughed and explained that he had just had his first wake turbulence encounter. He actually didn’t believe me at first. As if something had gone wrong with our aircraft. :D

Unfortunately, it takes that type of experience to wake (no pun) pilots up to have SA of their surroundings. The more times you experience it, the more knowledge is gained as to visualizing wake turb and which aircraft are hazardous and which ones aren’t. Fortunately in a helicopter the responsiveness is a good safety buffer when passing through it. In a light civil at slow speed in the example I gave, you might be on your back. ;)

CH-47 wake is nasty.

I have personal experience in riding the wake turbulence from a CH-47 and can attest that it is indeed nasty..

I mean that plane went in all directions at once, except inverted.

I would like to think my superior flying skill got me out in one piece, but I think luck was the bigger factor.

I have personal experience in riding the wake turbulence from a CH-47 and can attest that it is indeed nasty..

I mean that plane went in all directions at once, except inverted.

I would like to think my superior flying skill got me out in one piece, but I think luck was the bigger factor.

And with an aircraft like a Chinook, vortices aren’t the only problem. Rotor wash directly beneath the aircraft is hurricane force. Imagine landing and you get hit with an instantaneous 30 + kt crosswind.

In this one it was probably more rotor wash than vortices as well. Possibly in the flare and wind shear from the downwash caused the aircraft to balloon upward.

I feel it is best to give a Boeing P-8 Poseidon with an empty weight of 138,300 pounds, a maximum takeoff weight of 189,200 and a hundred twenty three foot six inch wing span a lot of room for wake turbulence for both approach and climb out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back