Learn me about tractors

4wd makes up for a lot of weight issues, but you make a good point. Tractors aren't just about pulling and pushing, they're about getting pushed. Once those 2 big tires lose grip, you've got a real situation on your hands. You haven't really had your life pass before your eyes until you get pushed down a hill by a running baler followed by a loaded hay wagon.

Maybe we haven't mentioned this specifically, but the OP should think about tires some. Home owners usually choose turf if they want to make it a big lawn mower out of the tractor. If the machine is going to be doing field work then he might need Ag's. Otherwise industrials will wear a lot better on hard pack.

As you said above traction is critical in many situations.

Maybe we haven't mentioned this specifically, but the OP should think about tires some. Home owners usually choose turf if they want to make it a big lawn mower out of the tractor. If the machine is going to be doing field work then he might need Ag's. Otherwise industrials will wear a lot better on hard pack.

As you said above traction is critical in many situations.

Already thought of that. In one of my prev posts I mentioned that I would much rather have turf tires. Not a lot of tractors of my price and utility range have turf tires. It's something I have considered.

See #132

You're correct, then again I don't live in Tx. or plan on it.
I'm an old time farm boy, like to hear whats going on behind the tractor like bearing whining ,belts screeching , metal grinding, things breaking etc. First Case I ran with a cab I didn't like.(the cab)
Open tractors are cold in the winter/hot in summer for sure, but if I wanted to be in a cab I'd be a trucker:wink2:
Like airplanes, there is never one tractor that will do everything well.
But the 4020 diesel IMHO is close, what are they 80-90 hp big enough to plow, small enough to mow. Classic JD design, better looking than any newer, and don't need to hook up a computer to trouble shoot.

LOL, I never had trouble hearing the noise, the cab may protect one from the dust and heat, but it was still damned loud in there.

Already thought of that. In one of my prev posts I mentioned that I would much rather have turf tires. Not a lot of tractors of my price and utility range have turf tires. It's something I have considered.

See #132

Are you going to be finish mowing a lot or on manicured grass?

I guess I'm biased, I just don't like turf tires for most things, never mind that question.

Are you going to be finish mowing a lot or on manicured grass?

I guess I'm biased, I just don't like turf tires for most things, never mind that question.

Wellllllll, 'manicured' might be a stretch. :D It's lawn, and it's got a few weeds and it's not really level in all spots but I thought I would try a 60-72" finish mower on the back, as long as I paid for the unit. I've got a 48" Craftsman that I'm pretty happy with, but it does take a while to do the whole thing.

I won't need the HP for pulling/pushing, just some light grading of top soil, and moving some loose dirt around with the loader. Mainly the loader is going to be used for putting up the roof members of metal bldg. I really don't need a bucket, but it would be handy to have, and most loaders come with a bucket anyway.

Back