Learn me about P-ponk conversions

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
As I understand the p-ponk conversion is taking a standard 470 and changing out the cylinders to bigger bore which add hp up to about 275.

Any reason NOT to do that? How does that affect the TBO? Does that increase the cruise speed (I assume it does)?

Anything?

On the speed issue....hangar-mate next door has a P-Ponk 182. He can cruise with us in the R182, but he's using more gas. Normally, we're 15-17 knots faster than a stock straight-leg.

Jim

Never thought about it. Why?

I don't believe it is approved for use in the PPONK engines. If you ever want to operate off airport or out of airports with no fuel, you might value the ability to use autofuel, either intentionally or in a pinch.

I was REALLY close to pulling the trigger on the PPONK as I am due for an overhaul.

Talked to them at length and got numbers from them...they said in reality they are seeing a 5-8 knot increase in cruise speed. Where they shine is the climb performance more than cruise..they will climb like a bat outta hell. You can get to 2000 hour TBO I believe if you add on the upgraded oil filter at install.

I was the same as you...why wouldn't you do it? Not that much more and you would make that up in resale. But I think I have talked myself outta it and just going with standard factory reman. There are only a few props that are approved with the PPONK, and of course my was not compatable...so by time I added prop which I am not due for, all the bells and whistles from PPONK and of course would want to protect that investment with at least a basic engine monitor I was starting to climb into the high $50's to low $60's once it was all said and done all in.

By comparison I am looking at a $30K quote for a factory reman. Still need to install and decide if I want a EI 30P monitor...but the extra price for the benefits was not adding up for my missions. I have only had one flight in the past three years where I could have used that extra climb performance. Would it be nice?...yes as I often run at full gross. Necessary?...no...more of a luxury than necessity for me as high DA is not as prevalent in most of my missions. If I lived in the hot desert or higher altitude airfield...it would have been a no brainer.

...but everyone I have heard from in the past few months loves theirs and there are no regrets, so it is not at all a knock...just sharing my experience for my 182P.

Last edited:
In my 180? When I broke my engine in a was getting 185mph straight and level at 1200' asl. I can't imgine ever going back to a 470. But TCM had to do my rebuild so all it cost me was 6 new cylinders, machining the case, and a prop. If you have an R or S motor you'll need a new crank.

A Pponk uses low compression TSIO-520 cyls. Car gas works fine. Not approved, but that's paper. When you want to get home? Mogas is better than no gas.

I understand Steve builds you a 0-520 from crank up using your carb and induction system. then tacks on a addition to your data tag that converts your engine to a 0-470-50.

If you have an R or S motor you'll need a new crank.

That's interesting. Haven't read that anywhere before but here. What's the reasoning? Do you know?

Those are the later models of the engine right before the high(er) compression -U model came out.

We have an -S in our 1975 -P model 182. Right before the switch to the -U.

I understand Steve builds you a 0-520 from crank up using your carb and induction system. then tacks on a addition to your data tag that converts your engine to a 0-470-50.

Pponk engines can begin as 470s or 520s. My own was a reman 0-470-S that's crank was condemned. TCM was out of replacement cranks so I was offered a 520 crank. Crankcase sevices milled the cylinder deck and converted the oil transfer. A 520 crank drops right in with that. All of them are considered 0-470-50 engines with the Pponk STC. Kenmore and Tex Skyways STCs start with IO-520s and convert to carbs.

More horsepower is the basis but the real difference with upgrading to the 520 is prop choices. Guys who are considering upgrading their engines also need to budget for a prop to take advantage of the power.

Last edited:
I think one question is are you looking at buying a plane with a PPonk already, or looking at doing the upgrade? Most people here are talking about it from the perspective of doing the upgrade.

I would take a plane that has more power over a plane that has less power.

The O-470-50 requires a crankshaft with 4 counterweights. Those cranks are in the O-470-U and the earlier O-470-L. The R and S cranks have 2 counterweights.

Thanks Charlie. Good to know.

Knock on wood/crossing fingers, we're still quite a while away from any forced decisions on overhauls. We had talked in general terms that we'd like to do the P.Ponk, but this new info may change that.

None of us have been particularly disappointed with stock O-470 performance over the years.

It was more a "well, if you can go a little faster on more fuel and the conversion isn't hideously more expensive... we do have the L/R tanks..." level of discussion... than seriously looking into it or asking Steve for real details.

I guess if one really wants to go fast on lots of Dino-juice, there's always Texas Skyways and a 550... but that seems a tad silly... we'd just sell the plane and upgrade.

Im looking for a plane with an existing, not upgrading.

Then I would definitely get the PPonk. You get more power, which is more better. You know the propeller is correct so someone else has absorbed the cost.

Im looking for a plane with an existing, not upgrading.

All else equal on purchase, I would opt for the Pponk. We went to a Pponk in 2008 and it has been a great engine. We did it as a swap for our U engine with another -U engine that Steve Knopp's shop had already mostly built. As others have said, it is more about the climb than the cruise. High DA operations and high MEAs are a routine part of our missions, so the Pponk was the perfect option for us.

All else equal on purchase, I would opt for the Pponk. We went to a Pponk in 2008 and it has been a great engine. We did it as a swap for our U engine with another -U engine that Steve Knopp's shop had already mostly built. As others have said, it is more about the climb than the cruise. High DA operations and high MEAs are a routine part of our missions, so the Pponk was the perfect option for us.

That's actually a downside for a P.Ponk on our 182. If operating from pavement hot and high, most of the airports have been sized accordingly. Operating off airport is just unnecessarily hard on nosedraggers.

It makes more sense on a 185 than a 182, unfortunately.

On a 182, operating off of paved or at least maintained airports, an O-470 does plenty fine. If it won't really go much faster in cruise, it doesn't do anything too magical for a 182.

Still wouldn't mind doing it, but it's more for the wow factor than anything a typical O-470 182 "needs".

That's actually a downside for a P.Ponk on our 182. If operating from pavement hot and high, most of the airports have been sized accordingly. Operating off airport is just unnecessarily hard on nosedraggers.

It makes more sense on a 185 than a 182, unfortunately.

On a 182, operating off of paved or at least maintained airports, an O-470 does plenty fine. If it won't really go much faster in cruise, it doesn't do anything too magical for a 182.

Still wouldn't mind doing it, but it's more for the wow factor than anything a typical O-470 182 "needs".

There is quite a bit of nonsense in this comment. There are tons of short, high airports where a P-Ponk 182 would shine. And add safety and margin

Lots of 182s are getting larger nose forks and bigger wheels.

I am on the waiting list for a bigger nose fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is quite a bit of nonsense in this comment. There are tons of short, high airports where a P-Ponk 182 would shine. And add safety and margin

Lots of 182s are getting larger nose forks and bigger wheels.

I am on the waiting list for a bigger nose fork.

Not a majority of them and not places most travelers would go.

Name some paved runways at popular destinations where a P.Ponk would make the difference between a safe and unsafe flight. Feel free to state the aircraft and atmospheric conditions so we can tell if those are median or outliers, too.

Make your case. I'm listening.

For Colorado, at least, CPA's mountain flying program for decades has stated clearly that it isn't a "backcountry" course of study. Our highest airports are plenty long for prevailing conditions when VFR weather is present.

Even tiny little KGWS isn't "unsafe" in a 182 under their most common temperature and aircraft loading configurations. And it's about the smallest in the mountains around here.

If conditions are such that you're concerned about runway length at KGWS in a normally aspirated O-470, a P.Ponk upgrade isn't going to fix it. Certainly not with any considerable safety margin added. The P.Ponk also drops off in horsepower at altitude.

But like I said, I'm all ears. Show the stats.

Paved airports less than 4000' at altitude at popular destinations flown to regularly by those with C-182 type aircraft.

And do tell us the exact "safety and margin" numbers. I'd love to see those. Does the P.Ponk STC come with new Takeoff and Takeoff Over 50' Obstacle numbers for the POH? I haven't seen one.

I've only seen three people flight test theirs extensively and their numbers were "nice" but not "spectacular". Their numbers say 50-100 fpm more climb on a hot high day. That's not a significant margin unless you're way too close to the margins anyway.

Steve's idea is a good one. No doubt. Making a slightly larger engine out of an O-470 by swapping cylinders is novel. But you really have to have a need for those few extra ponies, considering the O-470 and 182 airframe are already an excellent combination, performance-wise.

I'll happily take our 182 to some unimproved airports, but they're not the norm for where they're operated, and such ops always result in more overall maintenance dollars. Like you said, you're paying to put a fat fork on yours. Or whoever's. That isn't cheap.

The post was about improved airports. Places where 182s usually go with typical pilots and typical missions.

You want to go bounce around on unimproved gravel strips? Of course a P.Ponk adds something to that, as does the fat fork, bigger tires, and if you like, four point harnesses.

That was not the point of the post, nor what I said in it. Read. For the TYPICAL 182 mission to someplace paved, hot, and high, the P.Ponk won't offer much. If you have the money, feel free to do it. Just know it isn't a fix for those airports for anything that actually needs fixing.

Same deal with my LR tanks. They allow someone to do a very specific mission -- stay aloft five or six hours. Or... a nearly three hour out and back with tnakering because fuel isn't available at this other end.

Not a normal mission for a 182 and generally unnecessary. Nice to have extra gas on board in IMC too, but again, not usually needed.

And you'll either be dehydrated or peeing in a bottle for a six hour flight minus reserve.

Cessna balanced the stock 182 pretty well. Perhaps better than almost any other aircraft they built as a non-trainer piston single. The add ons usually aren't necessary.

Like our Robertson STOL kit. It'll get you off the ground sooner at the cost of much much longer distances necessary to clear an obstacle. On landing, it'll get you slower and stopped sooner, but anyplace you need to stop that soon, you'll be trucking the airplane out of because you can't take off again.

It really shines as a way to limit speed and distance traveled over gravel and loose surfaces so you're not throwing them into the tail, but as a "need"? Nah. It's got positives and negatives but the stock 182 will get in and out of most places just fine.

Combining the Robertson and a P.Ponk would be entertaining, but mostly you'd just have to watch cylinder head temps like a hawk. The P.Ponk owners I've talked to all have heat issues. We slap one on our airplane and go take off at 42 indicated with the nose in the (thin and very dry) air, it'll just be an invitation to cook cylinders. Slow with high power is already a heat problem with an O-470.

i must commend poa . in the 50 years i have been flying and owning 2, 182s i do not know Steve . i must research as i personally think a 470 is not a good base for hotroding jmho

i must commend poa . in the 50 years i have been flying and owning 2, 182s i do not know Steve . i must research as i personally think a 470 is not a good base for hotroding jmho

Haha. Most folks learn about his mod from the large AOPA 182 mods list. He's been doing it for a long time.

Then there's the really interesting mods, over at Petersen...

http://www.katmai-kenai.com/

There is some irony that if you go read Petersen's early docs (still on their website in the resources section) they almost flame broil the use of an IO-550 as "unreliable" back in the SE/230 and SE/260 days, opting for the IO-470 back then.

But customers wanted bigger, so they went to IO-520 and IO-550 options later anyway, and the website is fairly unclear as to whether they still offer the IO-470.

They never really explain the change of heart, anywhere. I've never asked. All of the options would be important to talk to them about before doing business, I think.

The aircraft however, after the addition of the canard, is fascinating. If you want to play backcountry in a 182... that's a great way to go. It's even slower than our Robertson kit and has a couple less minor quirks.

If you don't need the backcountry capability of something like the Petersen, adding horsepower to the 182 quickly becomes a losing game, considering all of the induced drag.

It ends up just taking a lot of gas to make a 182 go significantly faster.

I've seen people spend thousands and thousands to squeak out a few more knots from a 182, when all they needed to do was sell it, and go buy a Mooney. Heh.

Have to pay attention to your mission. The 182 is the perfect "doesn't do anything the best, but will do a bunch of things well" airplane. Generally reliable engine and components.

Once you figure out what you want to do better than "well", and what you do most often, you can switch airplanes to get it. Modifying the 182 is popular but dollars to knots, horsepower upping them gets spendy quick, both for the upgrade, and on long term fuel costs.

Ha! I have a friend with a straight tail 182 that goes where the average Supercub owner won't go! 182s, particularly straight tails with manual flaps and jackscrew trim, are excellent off airport airplanes. What advantage will a Pponk engine upgrade provide? Improved takeoffs and improved rate of climb, particularly at higher weights, just like horsepower increases do on other airframes. Any good Cessna driver can get into places the plane can't safely get out of. Big engines and big props narrow that gap.

Last edited:
Good comments. Basically the 182P im flying in the club does just about everything I need to do. I would just like 10 more kts. Mooney wont do because I lose my useful load. I don't do any 'backcountry' (yet) but do land on grass strips when I get the chance. I figured the Pponk might get me the kts without going to an RG.

Sounds like the 180 might go faster, but Avemco just quoted me $5400 a year on insurance!!! Are you effing kidding me???

The best way to gain speed is to reduce drag. Adding horsepower is the neanderthal approach but if you have the fuel to burn going that way might work. Run the 0-470 balls to the wall and see if the speed is adequate for you. A bigger engine will run the same speeds at just shy of balls to the wall but HP for HP will use the same fuel, or close to it. That's a bit of a generalization but you get the idea.

Try flying a 180 with no hangar to park in and no off airport restrictions... in Alaska. Expensive? Yes. Add floats and it gets really expensive!

It isn't just the length of the runway, it is the mountains and MEA around the airport. Can it be done safely with a stock 182? Yes, usually, but it may involve circling climbs, slimmer margins, or leaving fuel on the ground vs having a Pponk.

For 10 kts extra cruise speed, a Pponk isn't worth it. It will do it, but at too high a fuel cost.

I have to laugh at your inability to communicate effectively. In one long, rambling reply, you have 8 different descriptions of places to land airplanes. And then demand stats.....
These are all the ways you imprecisely described places to land airplanes in your response.
  • not places most travelers would go
  • paved runways at popular destinations
  • Paved airports less than 4000' at altitude
  • unimproved airports
  • improved airports
  • unimproved gravel strips
  • someplace paved,
  • gravel and loose surfaces
I have no idea what those terms mean to you, and, I have no idea what they mean when used randomly and/or interchangeably.

Do you have definitions for "unimproved airports"? Or "improved airports"? Or "unimproved gravel strips"?

Have you ever had anyone of authority, say a boss, or a Designated Examiner, tell you that your communication style is ineffective and doesn't address anything?

I am not sure what/where/how you define those 8 descriptors, but, I can tell you that they are ALL likely places a 182 can AND should go. If you are afraid to fly into "unimproved airports", etc... that is on you, not on the 182. Go find a good pilot and have them show you how to fly the plane. It will open up a world to you that you never knew existed.

Not a majority of them and not places most travelers would go.

Name some paved runways at popular destinations where a P.Ponk would make the difference between a safe and unsafe flight. Feel free to state the aircraft and atmospheric conditions so we can tell if those are median or outliers, too.

Make your case. I'm listening.

For Colorado, at least, CPA's mountain flying program for decades has stated clearly that it isn't a "backcountry" course of study. Our highest airports are plenty long for prevailing conditions when VFR weather is present.

Even tiny little KGWS isn't "unsafe" in a 182 under their most common temperature and aircraft loading configurations. And it's about the smallest in the mountains around here.

If conditions are such that you're concerned about runway length at KGWS in a normally aspirated O-470, a P.Ponk upgrade isn't going to fix it. Certainly not with any considerable safety margin added. The P.Ponk also drops off in horsepower at altitude.

But like I said, I'm all ears. Show the stats.

Paved airports less than 4000' at altitude at popular destinations flown to regularly by those with C-182 type aircraft.

And do tell us the exact "safety and margin" numbers. I'd love to see those. Does the P.Ponk STC come with new Takeoff and Takeoff Over 50' Obstacle numbers for the POH? I haven't seen one.

I've only seen three people flight test theirs extensively and their numbers were "nice" but not "spectacular". Their numbers say 50-100 fpm more climb on a hot high day. That's not a significant margin unless you're way too close to the margins anyway.

Steve's idea is a good one. No doubt. Making a slightly larger engine out of an O-470 by swapping cylinders is novel. But you really have to have a need for those few extra ponies, considering the O-470 and 182 airframe are already an excellent combination, performance-wise.

I'll happily take our 182 to some unimproved airports, but they're not the norm for where they're operated, and such ops always result in more overall maintenance dollars. Like you said, you're paying to put a fat fork on yours. Or whoever's. That isn't cheap.

The post was about improved airports. Places where 182s usually go with typical pilots and typical missions.

You want to go bounce around on unimproved gravel strips? Of course a P.Ponk adds something to that, as does the fat fork, bigger tires, and if you like, four point harnesses.

That was not the point of the post, nor what I said in it. Read. For the TYPICAL 182 mission to someplace paved, hot, and high, the P.Ponk won't offer much. If you have the money, feel free to do it. Just know it isn't a fix for those airports for anything that actually needs fixing.

Same deal with my LR tanks. They allow someone to do a very specific mission -- stay aloft five or six hours. Or... a nearly three hour out and back with tnakering because fuel isn't available at this other end.

Not a normal mission for a 182 and generally unnecessary. Nice to have extra gas on board in IMC too, but again, not usually needed.

And you'll either be dehydrated or peeing in a bottle for a six hour flight minus reserve.

Cessna balanced the stock 182 pretty well. Perhaps better than almost any other aircraft they built as a non-trainer piston single. The add ons usually aren't necessary.

Like our Robertson STOL kit. It'll get you off the ground sooner at the cost of much much longer distances necessary to clear an obstacle. On landing, it'll get you slower and stopped sooner, but anyplace you need to stop that soon, you'll be trucking the airplane out of because you can't take off again.

It really shines as a way to limit speed and distance traveled over gravel and loose surfaces so you're not throwing them into the tail, but as a "need"? Nah. It's got positives and negatives but the stock 182 will get in and out of most places just fine.

Combining the Robertson and a P.Ponk would be entertaining, but mostly you'd just have to watch cylinder head temps like a hawk. The P.Ponk owners I've talked to all have heat issues. We slap one on our airplane and go take off at 42 indicated with the nose in the (thin and very dry) air, it'll just be an invitation to cook cylinders. Slow with high power is already a heat problem with an O-470.

I have to laugh at your inability to communicate effectively. In one long, rambling reply, you have 8 different descriptions of places to land airplanes. And then demand stats.....
These are all the ways you imprecisely described places to land airplanes in your response.
  • not places most travelers would go
  • paved runways at popular destinations
  • Paved airports less than 4000' at altitude
  • unimproved airports
  • improved airports
  • unimproved gravel strips
  • someplace paved,
  • gravel and loose surfaces
I have no idea what those terms mean to you, and, I have no idea what they mean when used randomly and/or interchangeably.

Do you have definitions for "unimproved airports"? Or "improved airports"? Or "unimproved gravel strips"?

Have you ever had anyone of authority, say a boss, or a Designated Examiner, tell you that your communication style is ineffective and doesn't address anything?

I am not sure what/where/how you define those 8 descriptors, but, I can tell you that they are ALL likely places a 182 can AND should go. If you are afraid to fly into "unimproved airports", etc... that is on you, not on the 182. Go find a good pilot and have them show you how to fly the plane. It will open up a world to you that you never knew existed.

I broke down the sorts of airports you might be discussing and dismissed your assertion that a P.Ponk is going to provide a significant safety margin, for the majority of those types listed above.

You purposefully ignore context YOU create, in responses to your inane assertions.

It would be helpful if you'd pay attention to the discussion topics that you create. Your assertion created a question -- one which you hadn't fleshed out. I provided examples of what you might think harder about.

(Providing the answers to your topics you bring up and can't defend, isn't my role in the discussion. It's your assertion.)

@mscard88 it's not really trolling, it's just him ignoring his own words when people respond to them.

Describe, in specifics, how many airports a P.Ponk engine makes a 182 significantly safer to operate at. Show numbers.

Describe how that affects the typical pilot who isn't flying to them. Show numbers of operations at the airports that are made safer.

Describe the additional danger a 182 with an O-470 is facing when operated properly at any airport. Show numbers.

You don't have them. Let's see the POH differences that you're using to determine these numbers and making your assertion that a P.Ponk makes a 182 "safer".

In other words: You have an opinion that you can't defend with numbers.

My assertion has been and continues to be: A 182 with an O-470 can be operated safely at the vast majority of airports. Back country airports even. A P.Ponk engine helps at the margins, and most airports aren't at the margins. The additional safety margin is unknown, but it isn't significant at a majority of airports when the aircraft is operated properly.

YOU said the P.Ponk was significantly better. Feel free to defend it. Or don't. I don't care. I've simply pointed out that it's a weak assertion at best.

Anyone who says a Pponk doesn't perform significantly better than a stock O-470 hasn't flown the same plane without, then with, a Pponk.

The additional safety margin for mountainous terrain operations isn't unknown by those of us who have a good number of hours with and without Pponk in our plane, operating anywhere near max gross weight. Airport operations are only a part of the calculus. Time-to-climb to enroute matters. Here in LA, the faster you can climb out of the basin, the faster you get cleared direct. Time-to-climb to a cool cruise altitude also matters for passenger comfort over the hot desert.

What is true is that a Pponk does not come with new performance charts. This was done to keep the cost of the STC in check. With a Pponk you have ~17% more HP on the nose, and to say that makes no significant difference makes no logical sense.

Someone with a STOL kit criticizing the choice of a Pponk is pretty ironic. :rolleyes:

Anyone who says a Pponk doesn't perform significantly better than a stock O-470 hasn't flown the same plane without, then with, a Pponk.

The additional safety margin for mountainous terrain operations isn't unknown by those of us who have a good number of hours with and without Pponk in our plane, operating anywhere near max gross weight. Airport operations are only a part of the calculus. Time-to-climb to enroute matters. Here in LA, the faster you can climb out of the basin, the faster you get cleared direct. Time-to-climb to a cool cruise altitude also matters for passenger comfort over the hot desert.

What is true is that a Pponk does not come with new performance charts. This was done to keep the cost of the STC in check. With a Pponk you have ~17% more HP on the nose, and to say that makes no significant difference makes no logical sense.

Someone with a STOL kit criticizing the choice of a Pponk is pretty ironic. :rolleyes:

I'm not criticizing it. Read carefully. I'm saying unless you've flown it and written the numbers down, you can't quantify it.

Jose's assertion was about SAFETY and my point was that a non P.Ponk can be operated as safely as a P.Ponk, barring a FEW specific airports and conditions. I told him to show his work.

He can't, for the very reason you confirmed. There are no official POH numbers for the modification.

It's worth pointing out that it's also not a guarantee of 17% more HP on the nose at higher airports. It derates as you go up, and without testing it, nobody knows how much.

It's also worth pointing out that the new engine is heavier. That certainly does have to mathematically have some effect on performance in the negative direction.

The other items you listed are "nice to have", no question about that, but they're unrelated to SAFETY. Jose's assertion. Unless we're talking about safety of passengers and heatstroke and taking SAFETY to an absurd level, most conversations about SAFETY use real performance numbers to make their case.

"Keeping the cost down on the STC" is great. It means unless you go fly your own flight test regime and write it down, you don't have numbers to share, just anecdotes.

And those are fine, but my point was that nobody has PROVEN any particular extra amount of SAFETY because there's a bigger engine on the nose. Especially for typically sized high altitude paved airports, which is where most 182s operate 99% of the time, piloted by most pilots.

There's no irony in a STOL kit operator stating that an engine change doesn't necessarily make the average 182, going the most common places a 182 goes, safer.

In fact, in clearing a 50' obstacle, my STOL kit makes my aircraft LESS safe -- it requires MORE distance to clear obstacles when a max short distance performance ground roll is performed. This not only is true, it's also quantifiable because Robertson didn't cheap out on the POH changes. They did the tests.

If someone wants to buy a P.Ponk they SHOULD! It's nice. It does add some performance. You can even ask around and get a feel for how much, and the numbers you'll get back from owners can be plotted and an average taken. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong, you can't tell.

From there, you can make some *assumptions* about which airports would truly be SAFER with it.

Then you can make some *assumptions* about how often you'll really be flying to those airports.

The assertion that a majority of airports magically become safer because the aircraft has 17% more HP at sea level, isn't quantifiable. Operating safely is the pilot's job, even if you hang a turboprop on the nose and have 100% more HP.

I simply suggested that Jose didn't quantify his opinion about SAFETY in any meaningful way. It's an opinion without real numbers behind it.

YOU fly one, so you're the closest thing we have here on PoA to having real numbers. And you didn't actually give them. Not expecting you to. Was challenging Jose to defend his opinion.

I'd love to toss a P.Ponk on my STOL equipped airplane. Might when we need to overhaul it, too.

But I (and any other 182 pilot) can operate a non-P.Ponk non-STOL airplane quite SAFELY out of the vast majority of mountain airports. Because that's TRUE, Jose's assertion about SAFETY is busted, and he can't give a quantifiable set of numbers to back it up.

Show me a strip a non-P.Ponk 182 can't operate out of safely, and I bet it's well off the beaten path, rough, and extremely short. There won't be that many of them. Around here, there's a handful that I can think of, and neither are open to the public. Private property and prior landing permission required. And you won't be going anywhere but to your tent at them, unless you want a multi-mile hike. MOST 182 pilots won't be landing at those, ever.

All the public use mountain airports here in CO, can be SAFELY operated out of by a stock 182. No P.Ponk required.

No STOL required either. Our airplane just happens to have it from a previous owner. It's not necessary for 99% of airports.

A P.Ponk is a "nice to have", not a SAFETY enhancement. SAFETY is done between the ears.

Same thing with the STOL kit. In some scenarios it makes the airplane less safe when used improperly.

Legally speaking the PPonk engine mod does not increase horsepower so it doesn't require new performance charts. On paper a Pponk engine makes 230hp. The data tag on my engine says so. Those of us who've made the switch know there's more to it than that. There's no question that my own plane is more useful and safer for my normal ops with more power and thrust than it was before the upgrade. If you don't need or want more performance than a 470 provides the upgrade won't be appreciated.

I have posted performance numbers for our PPonk previously, just don't have the time to dig that out of the archive right now.

I'm going to unequivocally state that having those extra ponies up front at high altitude makes high altitude operations safer. There is nothing magical about normally aspirated engine physics that the relative increase in HP isn't going to be there at altitude vs at sea level. Anyone who has flow significant time in mountainous terrain has encountered unexpected downdrafts. Sometimes these happen soon after takeoff. With full fuel and a moderate payload, being able to climb at 700 fpm from a 9000'+ DA out of Mammoth Lakes airport vs. slogging along at ~450fpm is not a small difference. We have 2-blade prop, not 3-blade, which gives even better climb performance.

Safety in GA is not just about "can it get the job done". It is often about safety margins. Margins for unexpected weather conditions, and margins for less-than-perfect pilot technique.

I broke down the sorts of airports you might be discussing and dismissed your assertion that a P.Ponk is going to provide a significant safety margin, for the majority of those types listed above.

You purposefully ignore context YOU create, in responses to your inane assertions.

It would be helpful if you'd pay attention to the discussion topics that you create. Your assertion created a question -- one which you hadn't fleshed out. I provided examples of what you might think harder about.

(Providing the answers to your topics you bring up and can't defend, isn't my role in the discussion. It's your assertion.)

<snip>

My assertion has been and continues to be: A 182 with an O-470 can be operated safely at the vast majority of airports. Back country airports even. A P.Ponk engine helps at the margins, and most airports aren't at the margins. The additional safety margin is unknown, but it isn't significant at a majority of airports when the aircraft is operated properly.

YOU said the P.Ponk was significantly better. Feel free to defend it. Or don't. I don't care. I've simply pointed out that it's a weak assertion at best.

You kept throwing out moving targets of what types of airports require more margin. And, for someone like you sticks to long, paved, improved, runways (no idea what those terms mean), then you are likely fine with whatever you want.

But, your assertion that additional margin is not warranted, and there is no data saying that more HP provides that margin is silly, and does not need rebutted. Anyone reading can see that.

I fly into all sorts of airports, many are over 7000 ft elevations. Many are "unimproved" (no idea what that means, that was your term that you made up), many are "unpaved" (I think I know what that means, but no idea how that compares to "unimproved), many are short.

I don't have a P-ponk, and unfortunately, the way my overhaul played out, I wasn't able to get it converted on this engine. But, I would not waste a single minute demanding someone provide me data that more ponies makes the same plane safer.

Since I don't have a P-ponk, I have to use other tricks to get the margin to safely operate in and out of strips that would scare you since those are not what you have comfort or experience operating. And that is ok.

Your premise that 182's aren't operated out of "unimproved", or "unpaved", or any of the other 8 descriptors you fabricated is simply from your narrow point of view.

I will give you a hint; The FACT that I am on a WAITING LIST for a bigger nosefork should tell you that people are operating 182's out of all sorts of areas that you can't imagine.

I'm not criticizing it. Read carefully. I'm saying unless you've flown it and written the numbers down, you can't quantify it.

Jose's assertion was about SAFETY and my point was that a non P.Ponk can be operated as safely as a P.Ponk, barring a FEW specific airports and conditions. I told him to show his work.

He can't, for the very reason you confirmed. There are no official POH numbers for the modification.

It's worth pointing out that it's also not a guarantee of 17% more HP on the nose at higher airports. It derates as you go up, and without testing it, nobody knows how much.

It's also worth pointing out that the new engine is heavier. That certainly does have to mathematically have some effect on performance in the negative direction.

The other items you listed are "nice to have", no question about that, but they're unrelated to SAFETY. Jose's assertion. Unless we're talking about safety of passengers and heatstroke and taking SAFETY to an absurd level, most conversations about SAFETY use real performance numbers to make their case.

"Keeping the cost down on the STC" is great. It means unless you go fly your own flight test regime and write it down, you don't have numbers to share, just anecdotes.

And those are fine, but my point was that nobody has PROVEN any particular extra amount of SAFETY because there's a bigger engine on the nose. Especially for typically sized high altitude paved airports, which is where most 182s operate 99% of the time, piloted by most pilots.

There's no irony in a STOL kit operator stating that an engine change doesn't necessarily make the average 182, going the most common places a 182 goes, safer.

In fact, in clearing a 50' obstacle, my STOL kit makes my aircraft LESS safe -- it requires MORE distance to clear obstacles when a max short distance performance ground roll is performed. This not only is true, it's also quantifiable because Robertson didn't cheap out on the POH changes. They did the tests.

If someone wants to buy a P.Ponk they SHOULD! It's nice. It does add some performance. You can even ask around and get a feel for how much, and the numbers you'll get back from owners can be plotted and an average taken. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong, you can't tell.

From there, you can make some *assumptions* about which airports would truly be SAFER with it.

Then you can make some *assumptions* about how often you'll really be flying to those airports.

The assertion that a majority of airports magically become safer because the aircraft has 17% more HP at sea level, isn't quantifiable. Operating safely is the pilot's job, even if you hang a turboprop on the nose and have 100% more HP.

I simply suggested that Jose didn't quantify his opinion about SAFETY in any meaningful way. It's an opinion without real numbers behind it.

YOU fly one, so you're the closest thing we have here on PoA to having real numbers. And you didn't actually give them. Not expecting you to. Was challenging Jose to defend his opinion.

I'd love to toss a P.Ponk on my STOL equipped airplane. Might when we need to overhaul it, too.

But I (and any other 182 pilot) can operate a non-P.Ponk non-STOL airplane quite SAFELY out of the vast majority of mountain airports. Because that's TRUE, Jose's assertion about SAFETY is busted, and he can't give a quantifiable set of numbers to back it up.

Show me a strip a non-P.Ponk 182 can't operate out of safely, and I bet it's well off the beaten path, rough, and extremely short. There won't be that many of them. Around here, there's a handful that I can think of, and neither are open to the public. Private property and prior landing permission required. And you won't be going anywhere but to your tent at them, unless you want a multi-mile hike. MOST 182 pilots won't be landing at those, ever.

All the public use mountain airports here in CO, can be SAFELY operated out of by a stock 182. No P.Ponk required.

No STOL required either. Our airplane just happens to have it from a previous owner. It's not necessary for 99% of airports.

A P.Ponk is a "nice to have", not a SAFETY enhancement. SAFETY is done between the ears.

Same thing with the STOL kit. In some scenarios it makes the airplane less safe when used improperly.

You stick to long, paved runways, and you will be correct, a stock 182 can be operated safely.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will enjoy flying a 182 as they are capable, and, looking for whatever margin we can find. Whether thru airframe modifications, engine modifications, or, carrying a bit less weight, flying a bit earlier in the day.

And, once you get skills and comfort in a 182, you will find it can land places that aren't long runways with pavement.

But until then, be safe, and don't push out your comfort zone.

. . . Even tiny little KGWS isn't "unsafe" in a 182 under their most common temperature and aircraft loading configurations. And it's about the smallest in the mountains around here.

If conditions are such that you're concerned about runway length at KGWS in a normally aspirated O-470, a P.Ponk upgrade isn't going to fix it. Certainly not with any considerable safety margin added. The P.Ponk also drops off in horsepower at altitude. . . .

I mostly agree with that and I think I am as well qualified as anyone to make statements about an 182 with an O-470 out of KGWS fully loaded as anyone is. (You know this.)

It can be done almost any day. No need for a p-ponk. However, it would be nice to have that little extra horsepower for the first 1 minute of climb out on a hot day with questionable wind. There are times I'm not climbing, flying over town, trying to find where the wind agrees with my intentions to not plow into someone's living room. I've flown a p-ponk and O-470 182 and the p-ponk does get off the ground a little faster. Still, what I'm doing isn't typical for a 182 owner.

If I owned my own 182 for personal use in Glenwood, I would NOT get a p-ponk.

The assertion that a majority of airports magically become safer because the aircraft has 17% more HP at sea level, isn't quantifiable.

I will assert that "magically", a standard 470 will be affected at altitude. P-ponks aren't the only engines affected by laws of physics, or as you refer to them, as "magic".

I don't have a P-ponk, and unfortunately, the way my overhaul played out, I wasn't able to get it converted on this engine. But, I would not waste a single minute demanding someone provide me data that more ponies makes the same plane safer.

And I wouldn't waste a single minute stating that more horsepower makes a pilot safer. They either made a good decision to fly what they have in the conditions present, or they didn't.

I will give you a hint; The FACT that I am on a WAITING LIST for a bigger nosefork should tell you that people are operating 182's out of all sorts of areas that you can't imagine.

Yawn. You continue to miss a critical point because you're not reading each word.

I said MOST pilots don't and will never need a P.Ponk on a 182. BECAUSE you asserted that a P.Ponk increases safety for ALL 182 pilots.

It doesn't. You can hang 1000 HP on the front of a 182 and there will be a pilot that does something unsafe in it.

That's not you, and that's not me, but they are out there. More importantly, most 182 pilots who aren't in a very specific few western states won't ever see any benefit for normal operations from a P.Ponk. It's a niche upgrade.

You stick to long, paved runways, and you will be correct, a stock 182 can be operated safely.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will enjoy flying a 182 as they are capable, and, looking for whatever margin we can find. Whether thru airframe modifications, engine modifications, or, carrying a bit less weight, flying a bit earlier in the day.

And, once you get skills and comfort in a 182, you will find it can land places that aren't long runways with pavement.

But until then, be safe, and don't push out your comfort zone.

Like someone else mentioned, you regularly talk down to people you have no idea what they know or have done.

I never said *I* haven't operated out of short, high, gravel... I said very clearly and repeatedly and you keep missing it -- that MOST 182s will never do so.

I will assert that "magically", a standard 470 will be affected at altitude. P-ponks aren't the only engines affected by laws of physics, or as you refer to them, as "magic".

Of course they are. Once again, you're responding out of context. My point was that a P.Ponk at sea level is 17% more horsepower but there's no numbers on what it provides above that.

Even more ironic, in the very next post, the statement was made that a P.Ponk is rated on paper at 230 HP to avoid having to actually test it.

How something can both be "17% more horsepower" and be rated the exact same horsepower as what it replaces, on paper, is part of another sort of modern "magic" created by an onerous expensive certification process and paperwork loopholes. LOL.

Steve created a neat mod.

My repeated and only assertion has been that it's not required to operate a 182 safely at very many places. A majority of places, in fact.

As far as the odd statement that you have a nose fork on order... I've seen people lift Jeeps and never leave pavement with them. You being on a wait list probably means you need it, but people love to mod things. Frankly nobody cares why you want it. It's your airplane.

Everyone has had a day in the mountains where they wished they had more horsepower. Usually on days like that, 17% more probably isn't going to fix it. Your safety is between your ears and knowing where your "out" is.

Like I said, I can think of two non-public strips that one might not get a 182 out of, without a horsepower mod, in the whole State. Everything else is long enough and can be flown safely without a mod if the pilot has a brain and applies it.

Shortest highest public use is GWS I believe (I haven't grabbed the local book and double checked that yet) and another local just agreed that a P.Ponk isn't necessary to operate safely there.

Let's see the list of public-use airports a P.Ponk will make possible in a 182 whereas an O-470 would be unsafe and impossible. I'll wait. It's your assertion. Not mine.

Come fly short, challenging strips in the wind. The truth is the air has never scared me but hitting the ground does. The quicker and more reliably I can get off and away from the ground the better. Thrust is king for accomplishing that. That rule is true for any plane but the heavier the load the more it matters. Arguing with that is foolish. Do the math.

The End.

And I wouldn't waste a single minute stating that more horsepower makes a pilot safer. They either made a good decision to fly what they have in the conditions present, or they didn't.

Yawn. You continue to miss a critical point because you're not reading each word.

I said MOST pilots don't and will never need a P.Ponk on a 182. BECAUSE you asserted that a P.Ponk increases safety for ALL 182 pilots.

It doesn't. You can hang 1000 HP on the front of a 182 and there will be a pilot that does something unsafe in it.

That's not you, and that's not me, but they are out there. More importantly, most 182 pilots who aren't in a very specific few western states won't ever see any benefit for normal operations from a P.Ponk. It's a niche upgrade.

Like someone else mentioned, you regularly talk down to people you have no idea what they know or have done.

I never said *I* haven't operated out of short, high, gravel... I said very clearly and repeatedly and you keep missing it -- that MOST 182s will never do so.

Of course they are. Once again, you're responding out of context. My point was that a P.Ponk at sea level is 17% more horsepower but there's no numbers on what it provides above that.

Even more ironic, in the very next post, the statement was made that a P.Ponk is rated on paper at 230 HP to avoid having to actually test it.

How something can both be "17% more horsepower" and be rated the exact same horsepower as what it replaces, on paper, is part of another sort of modern "magic" created by an onerous expensive certification process and paperwork loopholes. LOL.

Steve created a neat mod.

My repeated and only assertion has been that it's not required to operate a 182 safely at very many places. A majority of places, in fact.

As far as the odd statement that you have a nose fork on order... I've seen people lift Jeeps and never leave pavement with them. You being on a wait list probably means you need it, but people love to mod things. Frankly nobody cares why you want it. It's your airplane.

Everyone has had a day in the mountains where they wished they had more horsepower. Usually on days like that, 17% more probably isn't going to fix it. Your safety is between your ears and knowing where your "out" is.

Like I said, I can think of two non-public strips that one might not get a 182 out of, without a horsepower mod, in the whole State. Everything else is long enough and can be flown safely without a mod if the pilot has a brain and applies it.

Shortest highest public use is GWS I believe (I haven't grabbed the local book and double checked that yet) and another local just agreed that a P.Ponk isn't necessary to operate safely there.

Let's see the list of public-use airports a P.Ponk will make possible in a 182 whereas an O-470 would be unsafe and impossible. I'll wait. It's your assertion. Not mine.

Again, you view the world from long, paved runways. Good for you. I am guessing they serve you well, and, you are well served by sticking on them.

I have operated very few machines in life, be they airplanes, boats, excavators, tractors, trucks, cars, pickups, etc where more horsepower isn't welcomed, usually from a safety/margin standpoint. Plus, I hate running small motors at 99%, much prefer running a bigger motor at 80%.

Again, this whole rabbit hole came out of nonsense that you stated people don't need the horsepower/upgrade because that is not how people fly 182's. And, I said that was nonsense, and, as you keep proving, you don't know how people fly 182's. In the summer time, I can fly around to a half dozen strips on a weekend, and, I will always cross paths 1 or 2 182's that have bigger wheels, bigger nose forks, and, in many cases, bigger motors.

When I bought my 182, the first modification was removing the wheel pants, for SAFETY reasons. You won't be able to wrap your head around that, but that is fine, your limited exposure to anything other than long, paved runways most of the time precludes that.

I want all the margin I can have, and that is why I fly a plane with 1100 pounds of useful load, with pretty short landing and take off rolls with lots of nothing in it. I get more margin and more safety that way, flying light. I do the same flying early in the day. And, if it was available, I would do the same with a P-ponk upgrade. And, nobody would say it was unneeded.

Maybe if you had access to a P-ponk, you would find many more places to fly, than just the two you know of that require permission. And, you might find places to fly, that "having to hike miles" from them are JUST the perfect kind of place to fly.

And, maybe you would find you don't need airports and runways at all, and, you would find the 182 is quite capable on even MORE than your 8 mythical landing surfaces. There is a whole world out there, don't keep your eyes closed too long.

Come fly short, challenging strips in the wind. The truth is the air has never scared me but hitting the ground does. The quicker and more reliably I can get off and away from the ground the better. Thrust is king for accomplishing that. That rule is true for any plane but the heavier the load the more it matters. Arguing with that is foolish. Do the math.

The End.

I never argued that. I argued that a stock 182 can operate out of most of those places safely, and operate out of most places 182s go, without it.

Again, you view the world from long, paved runways. Good for you. I am guessing they serve you well, and, you are well served by sticking on them.

Well we do have an excellent aeronautics board and wonderful mountain airports, but you make assumptions about where I go and what I do, that aren't warranted. You also continue to ignore an important adjective on my statements...

I have operated very few machines in life, be they airplanes, boats, excavators, tractors, trucks, cars, pickups, etc where more horsepower isn't welcomed, usually from a safety/margin standpoint. Plus, I hate running small motors at 99%, much prefer running a bigger motor at 80%.

And all of those things can be operated safely without more horsepower.

I do find your brand new assertion that an air cooled aircraft engine is operating at 99% of possible power, though. That's rich. Or were you saying you depart in the P.Ponk at 80%?

Again, this whole rabbit hole came out of nonsense that you stated people don't need the horsepower/upgrade because that is not how people fly 182's. And, I said that was nonsense, and, as you keep proving, you don't know how people fly 182's. In the summer time, I can fly around to a half dozen strips on a weekend, and, I will always cross paths 1 or 2 182's that have bigger wheels, bigger nose forks, and, in many cases, bigger motors.

You missed that important word again. Most.

So you admit there are people operating out of those "strips" with unmodified engines? Gasp. They're not safe according to your assertion then.

Logic is hard, I know.

When I bought my 182, the first modification was removing the wheel pants, for SAFETY reasons. You won't be able to wrap your head around that, but that is fine, your limited exposure to anything other than long, paved runways most of the time precludes that.

I understand it just fine. What does it have to do with your assertion that a P.Ponk is required for safety?

I want all the margin I can have, and that is why I fly a plane with 1100 pounds of useful load, with pretty short landing and take off rolls with lots of nothing in it. I get more margin and more safety that way, flying light. I do the same flying early in the day. And, if it was available, I would do the same with a P-ponk upgrade. And, nobody would say it was unneeded.

You just proved it's unneeded. It is available, and you don't need it. Or you would not be going to those places. I, unlike you, assume without meeting you that you're a safe and conscientious pilot. Therefore. Logically... you're doing just fine without it.

Maybe if you had access to a P-ponk, you would find many more places to fly, than just the two you know of that require permission. And, you might find places to fly, that "having to hike miles" from them are JUST the perfect kind of place to fly.

The O-470 is capable of safely flying into those places, as you've already stipulated above. Name a place you don't take your 182 because it doesn't have a P.Ponk where all the P.Ponk equipped 182s go and thumb their noses at you.

I'll state it again. Read *each* word carefully:

A P.Ponk engine modification is not required to operate safely out of a majority of airports, and certainly not airports where the majority of 182 pilots fly.

How many 182s are owned in the flatland states or back east? Backcountry "strips" are generally a western State thing.

And, maybe you would find you don't need airports and runways at all, and, you would find the 182 is quite capable on even MORE than your 8 mythical landing surfaces. There is a whole world out there, don't keep your eyes closed too long.

Again you proved my original point. Landing off-airport on whatever looks flat and long enough, is great. Fun even. It's not a trigger for a NEED of a P.Ponk, for the vast majority of 182 owners and pilots.

In fact, let's talk real pilot demographics here. Most pilots rent 182s. The numbers get real small who own them.

In regards to safety, you can't quantify it. It's a WANT. Not a NEED. And a fine want, at that.

We all want a Saturn V in the backyard.

Your assertion was that it was a safety requirement, and that's only true for the small minority who both own and live close enough to the backcountry (or make time to travel king distances to it from all the States where 182s are based) to make use of your "strips". A tiny tiny minority NEED a P.Ponk. It's a niche item. A very nice niche item.

We have a number of members here who've taken stock 182s to Idaho, and flown them in the backcountry. Safely. Others have posted photos of wandering out to the Ibex hardpan, and similar... all flings that they can't find at home. Their logbooks have thousands of landings at normal airports, and maybe 20 at places where a P.Ponk even begins to maybe be useful... and they still did it safely without one.

As do you. Safely.

Their brains, more than their stock engines, provided their decisions, which resulted in safe operations of their aircraft.

If you WANT more horsepower and the dollars divided by fun ratio is high enough, by all means, buy a P.Ponk. Buy a 185. Buy a Rans. Buy whatever fits your niche mission to the backcountry. Spiffy. Great. Wonderful. All good.

You'll still need your brain to operate safely, more than you'll need the P.Ponk.

It's nice to live out west. Find a private ranch, get prior permission, and land on it. Some guy does it in a Cub five miles north of my house, regularly. He doesn't have a big engine to do it. But it's a minority of pilots, and not where a majority of 182s are registered. A stock 182 could go bouncing around on that ranch to the north safely, with an O-470. No problem at all.

Back