Learn every flight

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
My CFI always said you will learn something on every flight.

I did tonight. Had some really good fun flying / learning

Got stuck at work and the weather just kept getting prettier and prettier. Finally the planets aligned and we got to get out for a bit.

The Fun
Tried something I have been wanting to try for awhile. Flew a parabolic arc and did the weightless thing.
My wife loved it. We did it about 5 times making pennies and other junk float for a couple seconds.

Next time I will film. Did some stalls and Steep turns and let the wife fly. She did awesome.
She was able to fly the pattern and take us all the way to the flare (I handled rudder pedals and made necessary corrections on the yoke)
She took off I think 3 times too.

I think the floating pennies might have been the kicker. Time to send her up with a CFI.

New experience:
Twice on FF, they told me "This is a traffic alert" never heard that before.

"This is a traffic alert descend 1000 feet now."
I was heading north and bunch of planes flying south like a line of ants all at arbitrary altitudes. Lots of 3200's and 3600's Center was great he basically said "You are swimming upstream but I will help get you through it." And he did.

PIC Moment:
Night landing / poorly lit strip, downwind leg didn't feel right and over my right shoulder, I see this plane coming at me. I know it is a MD80 in the Bravo shelf above me but I started thinking it looked like it might be a GA aircraft entering on the 45. So turning left base, and looking over my right shoulder starting to get rattled, realized I forgot my first notch of flaps, then overshot final. I just said "I'm rattled, we're going around."

I felt good that I made that choice but what I didn't expect was that it scared my wife. She got real quiet and I could tell she was nervous.

Interesting to see the action I take to reduce danger, fear, nerves, causing the pax concern. I explained that this was going to be a sloppy landing and trying to fix it can be dangerous so I am going to do it again. 2nd time was great.

Anyway thought I wasn't going to get up but not only did but also had new experiences.

Something to that "license to Learn" stuff.

Last edited:
Back