Leaning towards multi rating

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
After reading Lance's thoughts on the subject, I had a chat with my CFII, who would also be my MEI. I'm now leaning towards biting the bullet and getting the multi this summer. There were three things that pushed me in this direction:

1) I would use the rating.
A. Yes, flying multies are big-time expensive, but there are two here at BWI that rent for $200 wet, which is not bad for what you get, especially when you figure cost per mile.​

B. In addition, as you know, I need six seats for some of my trips, and the C310, Seneca II, and Aztec all have the room. I believe the C310 even has the rear seats removed (they were last month), leaving a crapload of room back there.​

C. Another reason for me to get the multi is that my wife said she'd feel safer with two engines. If that helps get her to fly with me more often, then that's a good thing.​

2. If you want to fly twins IFR, you have to do some approaches during your multi checkride. As Lance pointed out, if I'm taking that ride a month or two after my IR checkride, I'd be solid on those points.

3. I can start using the multi privileges right away after getting the rating, whereas I wouldn't really use the comm certificate for anything beyond sharpening skills (which the multie will do, anyway), and as a step towards the CFI.

Thoughts?

Doesn't matter when you do it, Ben, although my strategy on the last MEI-I student was to get his two engine instrument work SO GOOD and so easy that he had room on the plate for the OEI work.

DPE's comments: "best instrument work I've seen in a while...." :)

I think you and my instructor are from the same school!

:blueplane: Ben:

If you want to do it; just do it. There are all sorts of considerations, but you seem to keep looking for justification (which means you're really inclined to go thata way). There are all sorts of single v. multi debates. In the end, it's what you are comfortable with and can afford.

I fly both. In the soup with low ceilings below, over water, mountains and at night, I'm glad to be in the Baron. Long trips with extended range and a need to go higher, I love the A-36TN. It's all a matter of trade offs. What's wrong with flying two different planes? Heck, several friends have more than two!!

I used to make large retirement plan contributions--now I have an A-36TN!!

Best,

Dave;)

wangmyers said:
After reading Lance's thoughts on the subject, I had a chat with my CFII, who would also be my MEI. I'm now leaning towards biting the bullet and getting the multi this summer. There were three things that pushed me in this direction:

Thoughts?

What can I say? You're pretty much agreeing with my thinking, although neither choice would really be "wrong". I just think the multi would prove more practical in the near term.

Back