Leaning during the initial climb?

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I'm a little confused on this presentation on leaning during climb-out: http://csobeech.com/files/APS-TargetEGT.pps

At the start of the presentation, they indicate to make note of your EGT at a "sea level, standard day airport". Later on in the presentation, they say to make note of your EGT while taking off from a "sea level airport".

My question is does the temperature outside matter when making note of this information?

Yes. At sea level on a 110F day you already have a density altitude of around 3000' you would not want to record this number without leaning as your target EGT.

I'm a little confused on this presentation on leaning during climb-out: http://csobeech.com/files/APS-TargetEGT.pps

At the start of the presentation, they indicate to make note of your EGT at a "sea level, standard day airport". Later on in the presentation, they say to make note of your EGT while taking off from a "sea level airport".

My question is does the temperature outside matter when making note of this information?
I've never read that piece but try this:
Deakins Pelican Perch

The general idea is after takeoff to start your "full power" climb, what ever you decide that is, and after temps stabilize, say 1,000 feet up, note your EGT. Then as you climb you'll see that the EGT slowly changes (my EGTs slowly drop). Try to keep the same EGT by leaning as you climb. As long as you stay near that figure, you are giving the engine roughly the same over-rich mixture it was setup for at takeoff.

Does outside temp matter? No if you are taking the EGT reading each takeoff. With good engine instrumentation, it's easy to do.

Be a little bit careful here, these guys advocate running lean of peak on climbout, which requires a very even fuel distribution, full engine monitoring, and a full understanding of the dynamics. Go by your POH on leaning during climbout. Mine for example recommends no leaning during climbout under 5,000 feet.

Be a little bit careful here, these guys advocate running lean of peak on climbout, which requires a very even fuel distribution, full engine monitoring, and a full understanding of the dynamics. Go by your POH on leaning during climbout. Mine for example recommends no leaning during climbout under 5,000 feet.
Not sure about the original reference. Deakins isn't advocating lean of peak. The climbout leaning is about staying well rich of peak but not overdoing it as I understand it.

Yes, it does matter. It's about air density, not just air pressure. But once you have those SL/SD full rich EGT's measured, you're set for all conditions of altitude and temperature by just leaning to them.

Density altitude today is only about 110', so if I'm shooting for DA of sea-level I guess today would be a decent day to get these numbers. Some small differences in opinion it seems so far though.

Last edited:
Back