Leaky struts on Cherokee Warrior

Steve Job

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Job
This has been an issue for years, and it seems that cold weather exasperates the problem. I never find any hydraulic fluid leaking, so my thinking is it must be leaking air (nitrogen) from the schrader valves, and not from the O ring. Or am I wrong, and I really need to buy the strut rebuild kit? Both valves have been replaced, and I also had the mechanic try Granville strut sealer on one wing. I hate to keep adding air, and never knowing when they will go flat again.

Any ideas from the experts?

Strut rebuild kits may help but if the chrome on the pistons is pitted or worn the fix wont last long.

Jack the airplane to extend the strut so you can inspect it for wear/damage. A long time ago we added grease to the strut fluid, and had very good luck with it.

Jack the airplane to extend the strut so you can inspect it for wear/damage. A long time ago we added grease to the strut fluid, and had very good luck with it.

got a link to the addendum from the approved maintenance manual that approves that procedure?

you say that you see no fluid leaking,, are you certain there is any in it?

you say that you see no fluid leaking,, are you certain there is any in it?

During the annual on October 2015, I saw the A&P add fluid. I don't know if he did it using an approved procedure. So since it's always hangared, and I've never seen any leaks, I presume the fluid is still in the strut. But that's a good question. I've read a bunch of stuff on the internet, including this http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/192153-1.html On the Piper forum, the consensus seems to be if it's leaking fluid, it must be the piston seal, and if you don't see fluid, it must be air leaking out the top. I only have to have nitrogen added about 1-2 times a year, but sometimes it seems to leak all at once. Usually during a temperature change.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I'm going to start by having the valve and rubber gaskets replaced. Easiest and cheapest. Then making sure the fluid and nitrogen are added using the "approved" method.

During the annual on October 2015, I saw the A&P add fluid. I don't know if he did it using an approved procedure. So since it's always hangared, and I've never seen any leaks, I presume the fluid is still in the strut. But that's a good question. I've read a bunch of stuff on the internet, including this http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/192153-1.html On the Piper forum, the consensus seems to be if it's leaking fluid, it must be the piston seal, and if you don't see fluid, it must be air leaking out the top. I only have to have nitrogen added about 1-2 times a year, but sometimes it seems to leak all at once. Usually during a temperature change.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I'm going to start by having the valve and rubber gaskets replaced. Easiest and cheapest. Then making sure the fluid and nitrogen are added using the "approved" method.
Many times the leak only occurred when the strut is fully extended.

My advice is simple, rebuild them, then you'll know.

Back