Leak down orfice

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
What would happen if you grabbed the wrong leak down tester out of the tool box. IE: used the small orfice on a large engine or visa-versa?

To my way of thinking if you used the small orfice on a large engine you would possibly fail a good cylinder since the tester couldn't supply enough air to keep up with allowable leakage.

The opposite would seem to be true if you used the large orfice on a small engine. Too much air would be supplied masking a leak that should fail the cylinder/

Is my thinking correct?

Paul
Salome, AZ

What would happen if you grabbed the wrong leak down tester out of the tool box. IE: used the small orfice on a large engine or visa-versa?

To my way of thinking if you used the small orfice on a large engine you would possibly fail a good cylinder since the tester couldn't supply enough air to keep up with allowable leakage.

The opposite would seem to be true if you used the large orfice on a small engine. Too much air would be supplied masking a leak that should fail the cylinder/

Is my thinking correct?

Paul
Salome, AZ
Yes..

I thought a leak down orifice was something else. My bad. So much to learn here!

Just remove that stupid orifice, and none of your cylinders will fail. :)

Back