Leah Learns to Glide

Leah flew her Cherokee II tonight after work and before our CAF meeting. Tomorrow it will go back in the trailer and then sometime later this week under the knife to start recovering it over the winter.

Pictures:

1) Checkride photo. Charles the DPE, Leah, Bruce who ran wings and Bill the towpilot.

2) Leah's all smiles after her first flight in her Cherokee

Attachments

• PB131342.JPG
    PB131342.JPG
    920.1 KB · Views: 39
  • PB151348.JPG
    PB151348.JPG
    881.8 KB · Views: 40
Congratulations Leah! That's quite an accomplishment. :yes:

Love that photo of you in the glider. :)

2) Leah's all smiles after her first flight in her Cherokee[/QUOTE]

I also love that pic Leah! It looks just like I imagined it would when I first read that you got 53T as a wedding present. I am sure we all would like to read about your thoughts and feelings of that first flight in it.

I will add a few of my thoughts on your decision to flight train in gliders. I think you learned rudder control in the 2-33 like you would not have in any other aircraft and have better pure, basic flight control skills than over 90 percent of powered/tri-cycle gear only pilots. At the Air Force Academy they give introductory instruction in gliders to future F16 pilots and there are great reasons for this. You now have valuable "stick and rudder" skills. Just ask Tony if he agrees with any of this? Also ask Tony to get you checked out in a L-23. I did that a couple of years ago on the day after my glider add-on checkride. You will love it! It will seem like you are flying a Corvette after getting trained in an overloaded Mack truck and the skills you have learned will amaze you. Use them safely and have lots of FUN!:thumbsup:

Rick

The L-23 is a lot better than a 2-33, but I will say that even the L-23 wil seem like a semi truck after flying a Cherokee II. Tony let me fly his this summer, and now I know why he flies the crap out of it :)

Leah flew the L-23 down at Marfa last spring. If a 2-33 is a Mack Truck the L-23 is a Chevy Suburban at best. The Cherokee is a joy to fly, you are right Pete.

Pictures:

1) Checkride photo. Charles the DPE, Leah, Bruce who ran wings and Bill the towpilot.

2) Leah's all smiles after her first flight in her Cherokee

Great! But are you going to be allowed to fly her Cherokee when you want to now?

I've flown it a few times but I really don't fit very well. so she can have it all she wants, I have my own.

The real battle is going to be who will drive the trailer across KS :D

This is also a fun one to revive as a necropost. ;)

(I'm actually searching for something else, but keep finding other fun stuff... Argh...)

Back