LCD Monitor - DVI?

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
OK, what is DVI. I just ordered a new LCD moitor from Newegg. It seems to have DVI input in addition to analog. I assume that stands for Digital Video I??. I thinks that means that my old normal monitor connection will work but that some improved data feed is available and that I would probably need a new video card to use it ( or does it feed from a USB port?). The computer is not used for games, just email, spreadsheet, word processing, etc. I would expect the normal feed to be plenty adequate for my purpose.

Bobby Day said:
OK, what is DVI. I just ordered a new LCD moitor from Newegg. It seems to have DVI input in addition to analog. I assume that stands for Digital Video I??. I thinks that means that my old normal monitor connection will work but that some improved data feed is available and that I would probably need a new video card to use it ( or does it feed from a USB port?). The computer is not used for games, just email, spreadsheet, word processing, etc. I would expect the normal feed to be plenty adequate for my purpose.

DVI stands for Digital Visual Interface. "DVI is a popular form of video interface technology made to maximize the quality of flat panel LCD monitors and modern video graphics cards. It is a replacement for the P&D Plug & Display standard, and a step up from the digital-only DFP format for older flat panels. DVI cables are becoming increasingly popular with video card manufacturers, and most cards nowadays include both a VGA and a DVI output port."

If your video card currently supports an analog connection (VGA) you can buy an adapter like this one to convert the digital (DVI) signal to analog (VGA). If you could link me or us to the monitor you bought from Newegg, I can make sure that adapter will be compatable. Also - please advise if your current graphics card or integrated video supports VGA output.

Jason

Last edited:
Bobby Day said:
It seems to have DVI input in addition to analog.

If it has both, then you should be able to use the VGA connection [as you already do now?]. Can you link me to the monitor for closer review?

Thanks,

Your monitor has both a VGA input (D-Sub) and DVI. You can use either input you want. The DVI input should give a slightly better viewing quality because the video card has to convert the digital signal to analog then the monitor (LCD only)has to convert it back to digital to display it. By using The DVI input you eliminate the analog conversion. If your video card has only a VGA output just use it.

Back