Lazy eye and third class medical renewal

Daven

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Awesometastic1
So when I first got my pilot's license I failed the eye exam at first because of a lazy eye which my brain doesn't really use when my good eye is open outside of peripheral vision level. But before rejecting, the doc instead gave me a week to do eye exercises to sort of force the brain to use the lazy eye a bit more as I was borderline, 20/60 on it. I do have to close my good eye to really see anything with my lazy eye, so the whole thing seems a bit silly here. :) Because when good eye open, lazy eye not used. :) BUT been that way all my life and I have zero depth perception or any such issues, even in sports like baseball or anything. I did pass the second time (barely) via spending the week in between wearing an eye patch and never using my good eye at all. The brain over time sort of "turns on" the bad eye that way. :) Downside is once back to both eyes it gives me double vision for a couple minutes when using both again after forcing it to use the bad, but the brain quickly "turns off" the lazy eye and then fine again. :)

Anyway, have to go get my third class medical renewed in a month. But with some home testing, I don't think my lazy eye is going to cut it this time.

This is not an issue with anything as I've never flown with anything but my good eye in reality, as when my good eye is open, again, my brain just doesn't use the bad one really. :) And logged almost 400 hours in the last couple years that way, and will be, funny enough, flying to the third class medical renewal exam. :)

Sooooo, wondering what my options here are? And processes. Would switching to Basic med be any benefit here? It wouldn't hinder anything about my flying based on reading the differences. Just not sure about the exact exam part. I did like that basic med don't need to see a physician for 4 years, as I'm over 40 now, so that's handy compared to the third class.

Also, if I don't pass my eye exam part, is my existing third class medical instantly invalidated? Or do I still have until the end of the month? Kind of important given planning on flying to the place where I'll be taking the medical. :)

So you either go to basic med, or you accept the failed deferred medical, petition for the one eyed ride, do the ride, pass and nobody ever checks your weak eye. FAA sends you a certificate "valid for checkride purposes only".

Yes you will be down until the standards ride @ the FSDO, which will likely be farmed out eventually to your local DPE.

How long does the process to get the exemption for the lazy eye usually take?

Im in a similar position, had the eye patch when I was a kid to prove it. At absolute best my right eye with correction is 20/30... I have no doubt I'll be down your road eventually. I read up on it previously and I think I've heard of people going to an optometrist and showing your results to your ame. That is if you can get to 20/40.

Or just do the SODA which I've also heard is a nothing burger. Scheduling wise I have no idea.

Basically, Im of no help other than to say I thought I was a pirate when I was a kid.

Back